HF-1 vs. SR225 vs. SR325i
Sep 29, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #31 of 53
Since we are in the 150-300 Grado range any other takers on the MS-2i ...I wont recommend as I have not heard it yet but I am working on getting one to check out right now.

Sep 29, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 53
I'll put in another vote for MS2i. I've had mine for over two weeks now and I have to say they have exceeded my expectations of them. In my opinion; really good stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
HF1 gets my vote... especially with MP3 as source.

IMHO... with low bitrate MP3 files a less detail resolving headphone works to your advantage. The HF1 is STELLAR at making poor recordings sound better than they really are. It has some warmth and a certain grooviness thats just fun to listen too.

Do the SR225's have this attribute. I can't bring myself to buy used cans.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #34 of 53
I've been reading and rereading this thread, and so now, I've set my choices to be between the HF-1 and the SR325i.

When people say the HF-1 is more "balanced", do you guys mean balanced in the way the Senn phones are, as in "laid-back"? The reason I'm asking this is because I intend on getting a more "laid-back" pair of headphones (been thinking of Senns) in the future to compliment a purchase for (pretty-much) just rock music.

Also, being unable to have a chance to listen to the headphones really makes things tough. For this reason, I've been thinking thinking more strongly of going with the SR325i's. If I end up disliking them and think the HF-1 would better suit me, I can always return them (within the time frame given of course).

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NTak
I've been reading and rereading this thread, and so now, I've set my choices to be between the HF-1 and the SR325i.

When people say the HF-1 is more "balanced", do you guys mean balanced in the way the Senn phones are, as in "laid-back"? The reason I'm asking this is because I intend on getting a more "laid-back" pair of headphones (been thinking of Senns) in the future to compliment a purchase for (pretty-much) just rock music.

Also, being unable to have a chance to listen to the headphones really makes things tough. For this reason, I've been thinking thinking more strongly of going with the SR325i's. If I end up disliking them and think the HF-1 would better suit me, I can always return them (within the time frame given of course).

Balanced and laid back are not the same thing.
Balanced = frequency response is even, doesn't emphasize any one part of the range over the others (bass, mids, treble).
Laid back = not aggressive or fatiguing to the ears.

For complementary headphone to grado's, I think Senn HD580's are a great value. Although for me, laid-back = boring, at least for the music I listen to.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
For complementary headphone to grado's, I think Senn HD580's are a great value.

HF-1 and HD580 is just the combo I'm left with after going through quite a bunch of phones. I'm not trying to say this is it, the final chapter, end-all-be-all setup, but I'm very satisfied for now.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NTak
I've been reading and rereading this thread, and so now, I've set my choices to be between the HF-1 and the SR325i. . . .

That's a sound plan.
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #38 of 53
MS2i for rock, plus the HD-580 for classical would be a good one for me too! Trouble is, when I get ready to buy the 580s, they'll be gone forever and I'll be gettin' the HD600s....but that's Okay!! The Wife likes the marbled blue! Works for me!!
600smile.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #39 of 53
I bought my 325i as a change of pace from my 650/Zu. I bought the HF-1 when it became available, figuring I could keep whichever Grado I preferred. For me, the refinement of the 325i was no match for the magic I found in the HF-1, and sold the 325i (after swapping out headbands).

As it turns out, I ended up selling my 650/Zu and both amps I used with them and kept the HF-1 and my Millett. There were things that the 650/Zu and my PPA v2 or M^3 might have done better, but there was just something about the HF-1 & Millett that made me reach for it every time I sat down in my big, comfy chair for some music.

Since owning the HF-1, I have auditioned a number of Grados... 125, 225, 325, 325i, RS-2, RS-1 & PS-1... and while I can see why people prefer other Grados, none of them (except maybe the RS-2) do anything for me. I couldn't be happier with my HF-1, especially with the mods I've made.

If you go with the 325i, I'm sure you'll be very happy. They're a great pair of headphones with excellent treble extension and detail, decent mids and good bass extension. They are revealing and I wouldn't suggest matching them with a low-end or bright source or amp. But they can sound very good when paired with the right components.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
I bought my 325i as a change of pace from my 650/Zu. I bought the HF-1 when it became available, figuring I could keep whichever Grado I preferred. For me, the refinement of the 325i was no match for the magic I found in the HF-1, and sold the 325i (after swapping out headbands).

As it turns out, I ended up selling my 650/Zu and both amps I used with them and kept the HF-1 and my Millett. There were things that the 650/Zu and my PPA v2 or M^3 might have done better, but there was just something about the HF-1 & Millett that made me reach for it every time I sat down in my big, comfy chair for some music.

Since owning the HF-1, I have auditioned a number of Grados... 125, 225, 325, 325i, RS-2, RS-1 & PS-1... and while I can see why people prefer other Grados, none of them (except maybe the RS-2) do anything for me. I couldn't be happier with my HF-1, especially with the mods I've made.

If you go with the 325i, I'm sure you'll be very happy. They're a great pair of headphones with excellent treble extension and detail, decent mids and good bass extension. They are revealing and I wouldn't suggest matching them with a low-end or bright source or amp. But they can sound very good when paired with the right components.

Agh, this is making me rethink about just going for the SR325i. I've read this before, but now it's really making an impact on me.

Are the HF-1's in demand enough that I would be able to buy one and then sell it shortly after with relative ease if it turns out I want the 325i more? Also, in what other places should I be searching for the HF-1s (besides the FS forum here)?

BTW, your HF-1 woodie mod looks very nice.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
MS2i gets my vote.

QFT.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #43 of 53
All right, lots of love for the MS2i, so how does the MS2i compare to the HF-1 and 325i? They are all around the same price, so it could be another good option.

EDIT: So I've done some more reading, the MS2i is more laid-back than the 325i. What about compared to the HF-1?

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #45 of 53
If you're still looking for headphones there's a pretty killer deal on some woodied and recabled plain 325s right now in the for sale forums. You're not likely to find another pair (they were one-off custom) and certainly not for less than what a pair of HF-1s would cost you. Just something else to consider to add to the confusion.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back