HF-1 vs. SR225 vs. SR325i
Sep 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 53
So many differing opinions, I wish there was a way I could test-drive the at least the HF-1. It's hard to make a decision with so many completely different viewpoints on the three Grados. Keep them coming
eggosmile.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 53
HF-1

If you like accuracy - Joe Grado is the man!

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 53
HF1 gets my vote... especially with MP3 as source.

IMHO technically the SR325i is a better can... able to resolve more detail, better extension at the ends of the spectrum, slightly better instrument separation and I think it images better. However... the supporting equipment needed to capitalize on its advantages are beyond the source you listed. The 325i is also brighter and more aggressive IMHO. So... keep that in mind.

IMHO... with low bitrate MP3 files a less detail resolving headphone works to your advantage. The HF1 is STELLAR at making poor recordings sound better than they really are. It has some warmth and a certain grooviness thats just fun to listen too.

There are times I scoff at my RS1 and A250... too much detail... Too forward and aggressive... Just TOO much of everything, and I want to relax, give my ears a break and just groove to the tunes. Thats when I reach for the HF1.

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

There are times I scoff at my RS1 and A250... too much detail... Too forward and aggressive... Just TOO much of everything, and I want to relax, give my ears a break and just groove to the tunes. Thats when I reach for the HF1.

Or simply put flats on your RS-1. That's what I like about it. You can make it relaxing or in your face without having to swap phones.

I agree about the 325i being technically better, but not forgiving on bad recordings.

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #20 of 53
Does this consider price? I vote SR-225 because you can have it for $150 where the HF-1 is gonna run you $300-$350. I had the HF-1 and it was nice but when the price when north of $400 I dumped it.

225 is a much better value.

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
Does this consider price? I vote SR-225 because you can have it for $150 where the HF-1 is gonna run you $300-$350. I had the HF-1 and it was nice but when the price when north of $400 I dumped it.

225 is a much better value.

I'm willing to spend up to $350, but would prefer to spend around $300 max.

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

IMHO technically the SR325i is a better can... able to resolve more detail, better extension at the ends of the spectrum, slightly better instrument separation and I think it images better. However... the supporting equipment needed to capitalize on its advantages are beyond the source you listed. The 325i is also brighter and more aggressive IMHO. So... keep that in mind.

IMHO... with low bitrate MP3 files a less detail resolving headphone works to your advantage. The HF1 is STELLAR at making poor recordings sound better than they really are. It has some warmth and a certain grooviness thats just fun to listen too.

What is usually considered a "good recording"? Most of my songs are in 256-320 kbps VBR, and there aren't more than a couple of albums (which I never really listen to anyway) lower than that. If an encoding like FLAC (very few of my albums are in this encoding) or a better source than a PC and an amp would be needed for the 325i's to perform well, then I probably won't go for it.

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NTak
What is usually considered a "good recording"? Most of my songs are in 256-320 kbps VBR, and there aren't more than a couple of albums (which I never really listen to anyway) lower than that. If an encoding like FLAC (very few of my albums are in this encoding) or a better source than a PC and an amp would be needed for the 325i's to perform well, then I probably won't go for it.

At that bitrate I have trouble. I tried as much I could and could not tell the difference between my lossless and 320AAC on my RA1/RS1 combo so on my iPod I have 320 now. In the 192-256 range the differences came out though.

I guess $300 is ok to pay for the HF-1 ...I just dont see it as a good value and it seems they are running more like 350+.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Or simply put flats on your RS-1. That's what I like about it. You can make it relaxing or in your face without having to swap phones.

I agree about the 325i being technically better, but not forgiving on bad recordings.

I'll have to try flats again.
rs1smile.gif
I didn't like them the first time I tried them, but for situational use they might be better for me.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
HF-1

If you like accuracy - Joe Grado is the man!

"HF-1"? "Accurate"? "The"?

Anyway, I voted SR-325i because it is the most accessible, but choose the one that best fits into your budget. I don't know if you could necessarily say that an HF-1 is better than a 325i (I've never heard the latter), but if you can find an HF-1 for less than $300, why not give it a shot? Maybe get a 325i also so you can compare them. If you can't find an HF-1 for a good price, don't sweat it - just go for the 325i, or save your wallet some stress and get a 225. Any of those three will be great.

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 53
If it adds to my short impressions with the 325i, I would have probably bought them instead had it not been for their less than portable form factor.

Although I've been told I'm odd for wearing my 225 on the go anyway.
wink.gif

[EDIT]

Quote:

That made me laugh. Cheers.

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #28 of 53
Don't mean to throw you off, but the SR325i has a smoother treble than the HF-1. Better treble extension doesn't constitute brightness, the HF-1 is hands down brighter, but it has a more prominent bass hump that makes it seems so relaxing (I agree with that).

The $200, the HF-1 are great phones with great value, but IMO, anything more than $350 should just points you to a SR325i brand new or RS2 used (lookout for great deals around here). The only reason I bought my HF-1 (at more than $300 no less) is that I really like Grado and want to be a part of this special edition phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

I'll have to try flats again.
rs1smile.gif
I didn't like them the first time I tried them, but for situational use they might be better for me.

I feel the same way. The bowls are so much better to me. If I listen to a recording with harsh high frequencies or just want to relax to some music and not have that exciting, aggressive sound, the flats can do that for the right situation.

Break them out again and enjoy the wonderful midrange of the RS-1
rs1smile.gif

That being said, I listen to bowls 95% of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks

ok ok more balanced then? I heard them at a meet and they sounded very balanced across the frequency spectrum, especially compared to the high frequency loaded 325i, RS-1, and 225. I'm just suprised at people saying the HF-1 is the brightest of all of those cans
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

I was thinking of working on a post...than read kramer's. I agree completely and couldn't have put it better.

The HF-1 and 325i are both great (and a big step up from 225's IMO). When you pick one over the other, it's based on the preference as described above.

EDIT: I've spent a lot of time comparing an HF-1, HHF-1, and an RS-2 to each other. I tend to pick out details the best with the RS-2. When I look for that same detail on the HF-1's...it's there, just not so prominent. The HF-1's also allow me the longest listening sessions without fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back