HF-1: Headfier profiteering
Apr 14, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #167 of 245
As ideal as it would be to set a "hard limit" that everyone should refuse to buy HF-1's over a certain limit it's just never ever going to happen. Even though it might seem like most of Headfi is high school/college students with the way some of these posts are written, I'm sure the majority are those that have been into audio for a long time. And these are the type that have money to splurge and spend what they feel a product is worth to them, as opposed to someone who only wants to pay XX amount for something
rolleyes.gif

As much as I'd love to form a "Team Won't Pay More than $800 for a HP-2" you can be damn sure I'm going to pay significantly more than the next guy if a mint pair with documentation/box appears, just because I can afford them and I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

And if I were to sell my HF-1, I have every intent to make as much as I can

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #168 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
So what you're saying is when the time comes to sell your a900ltd's you'll sell them for 300$? You're saying that if you had a pair of hp-1000's you'd sell them for 600$?

Talk is cheap. The only people who really have the right to complain are spaceconvoy, the person who sold grawk his hf-1's for 215$ that I missed by 1 minute, jahn(i think), and the few others who sold their hf-1's at cost.

nope they will be passed down to my kid(whenever i have one), then they prolly die of old age. Or i might trade with a headphone similar in value such as a cd3k(dunno release price tho)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i don't see how this community is any worse just because people are selling headphones at a profit. i echo spaceconvoy's sentiment that if you're the legitimate owner of an hf-1 (or other item) you should sell it however you want...sell it at cost, at a profit, donate them, whatever. i payed a nice little premium for my sr200...surely way more than the original price...why should i expect the seller to sell them for less than he/she could legitimately get for them? just because we're both in the head-fi community?
rolleyes.gif
i understand todd's displeasure with those who were selling them on ebay, but within the community, i don't see the problem.

no one's ripping anyone off...stop complaining.

I dont know how you feel about this community, but for me a huge part of it is passing along the experience. How many posts are there where ppl are congratulating others when they try a new sound and like it. How many thanks to head-fi posts are there thanking us for steering them in the right direction? To me, Used headphones = handmedowns. How can you pass that on if they are substancially more than the original. HF-1 aignt no ferrari, its a freaking volvo, to be used and apprieciated. When your done, pass it along.

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #169 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by yafella
So what you're saying is when the time comes to sell your a900ltd's you'll sell them for 300$? You're saying that if you had a pair of hp-1000's you'd sell them for 600$?

Talk is cheap. The only people who really have the right to complain are spaceconvoy, the person who sold grawk his hf-1's for 215$ that I missed by 1 minute, jahn(i think), and the few others who sold their hf-1's at cost.

I didn't buy those for $215...I paid him significantly over his asking price, because I felt like it'd be unfair not to...

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #170 of 245
*doesn't read topic*

I bought a video game called Valkyrie Profile for $50 when it first came out. Went out of production fairly quickly, became very popular after a few years, and I sold it for $90 to a guy who was more than happy to pay the price. Supply and demand, ace. That's just the way things are. Of course, that's probably been said a thousand times in this topic.

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #171 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
*doesn't read topic*

I bought a video game called Valkyrie Profile for $50 when it first came out. Went out of production fairly quickly, became very popular after a few years, and I sold it for $90 to a guy who was more than happy to pay the price. Supply and demand, ace. That's just the way things are. Of course, that's probably been said a thousand times in this topic.

heh, i was gonna say the same thing
Valkyrie Profile goes on ebay for over $100 US used and as high as $200 NEW which is super RARE

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #176 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Well you guys might not be too happy with this pic we took then... Jason was fed up with the whiners and said to go ahead and post his collection.

hf-1.jpg

Is that for real? i'd love to hear the story of aquisition; sounds like an adventure.
...Oh My...this threads about to become alive! (and get very ugly very fast)

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #177 of 245
Man what the hell? Now if there's a reason to get mad this is it. Are you just hoarding them for their collectibilty or do you honesty need ten of them? Who the hell needs ten of the exact same headphones unless its just to resell them later for a profit because of their rarity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
HAHAHAH

owned by team pretzels.

that is nuts.. he has 10?

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #178 of 245
Jesus... I thought he was going to wait until the market peaked to post that... the big secret revealed I guess. Always figured that'd piss people off...

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #179 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
hf-1.jpg

Given that a wife/girlfriend would object to blowing so much money on multiple pairs of cans, I can only assume that this is all he has to sleep with...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #180 of 245
When people started relating the sale of HF-1s to ticket scalping I thought that was silly, but after seeing this pic, this is the exactly how scalpers buy all the best seats to screw people over. Crap like this is why Grado will never make another limited edition for Head-fi because blatant opportunists will just take advantage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Jesus... I thought he was going to wait until the market peaked to post that... the big secret revealed I guess. Always figured that'd piss people off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back