...Hey, what's going on with conflicting statements about what Jerry Harvey said about IEMs "burn in"?
Sep 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #16 of 27
i wouldn't worry about his image or anything. headfi is the last word among some audio circles, but considering that his products have been sworn on by bands such as van halen has so much more to do with the sound than his opinion on a controversial subject to which no end is in sight.

whatever he says or does not say will not change the fact that this subject is unending.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 27
True, I suppose...

Maybe *I* am the one thinking too much here...
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 27
sorry but I see it as you being the one uptight about something that really has no bearing on anything and as shingzeo says, there is no end in sight of the argument and it just frustrates the hell out of me whenever I see it brought up. people are people and people are inconsistent. even 'the man himself' is probably capable of being inconsistent when dealing with customers and what they want to hear.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 27
If you want to stir the pot, you start a thread where the subject of the thread isn't an active participant. If you want actual answers, you contact the man. If you email him, he'll answer, or someone else will. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter what people attribute to him, it's just hearsay anyway. Peoplep get misquoted regularly. When it's important, it's corrected, when it's not, it's ignored.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #21 of 27
I think sometimes a company's position on a matter might be different than a person's, and there is a distinction. (I'm not speaking about Jerry specifically, as this is not a discussion I have had with him.)

For example, I think a larger company might be less likely to officially acknowledge burn-in, though you might get someone within that company who has experienced it or believes it's very real. (This is something I can say from experience.)

I know at least some heard the SHURE SRH840 at Can Jam LAX, and a couple had a chance to hear the brand new SRH840 right next to a "burned-in" set I had been using for months (that I left at SHURE's exhibit for them to use). I wasn't the only one who heard a difference. I believe the one I brought (the one more used) was the one they had more available at their table.

As for the "armatures have no burn-in" statement: I don't necessarily believe that, based on my experience, but, as with anything, one guy's experience isn't going to be entirely convincing, and that's not really my goal anyway.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry but I see it as you being the one uptight about something that really has no bearing on anything and as shingzeo says, there is no end in sight of the argument and it just frustrates the hell out of me whenever I see it brought up. people are people and people are inconsistent. even 'the man himself' is probably capable of being inconsistent when dealing with customers and what they want to hear.

Perhaps it's because I didn't realise the true extent of how the "burn in debate" causes headaches.

I sincerely offer you my apologies. Like I said, maybe I am being a tad too restless or anal-retentive about something that wouldn't really cause shockwaves anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 27
I'd guess some people could misinterpret something he's said or just made it up to support the point, knowing the man wouldn't chime in to correct them.

As to burn-in..everything electrical has burn-in, whether its audible or not is questionable and for how long it would last is also part of it. My own take is I don't know how long burn-in for wire takes, it could be anywhere from a second to hours...no clue. For speaker drivers and full-size headphones, its quite obvious there are changes. For something much smaller, no clue. I don't see it as a big deal and don't know why you guys care so much one way or another. When I buy something, I leave it playing without listening for a few days (with a break, now and then). If all this comes down to is people trying to stick up for products at shows because they aren't 'broken in' then perhaps a business should take care of that ahead of time...in the speaker world, that is the case. Bad reviews of a product you like means the reviewer was a total nub and didn't have proper electronics and didn't burn-in properly.

Sorry... /endrant

Back to listening to the professor..

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobzpro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burn in COULD be physcological but why not it makes u happier

yep, it might just be the ears gettin' used to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back