...Hey, what's going on with conflicting statements about what Jerry Harvey said about IEMs "burn in"?
Sep 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier
Well it's regarding what audio meister Mr. Jerry Harvey said about changes to sound of IEMs (specifically customs) after they were used for some time (i.e. had music played through them).

There have been people who say and support the "pro-burn" view, and just as many who say and support the "anti-burn" view.

I also briefly recall reading elsewhere (I can not remember which forum) where somebody said something along the lines of "Jerry Harvey himself agrees that the JH13 improves in sound over time".

And I decided to look for posts through the search engine, here are some conflicting ones (no offence meant to those quoted):

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please don't start this. There is burn in for Balanced Armature drivers, though it's not a lot there is. Jerry Harvey agrees to this. But anyways, we're not going to start that war again about whether they significantly change or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not arguing with you, but I wanted to clarify that Jerry Harvey did not specifically say that. He told us that the frequency response measurements never changed from when they were brand new or used. Now whether this is an indication of debunking burn-in for balanced armature drivers, I don't know the answer. But he never argued for or against the existence of burn-in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it interests anyone, the chief engineer at Ultimate Ears, Jerry Harvey, does not believe in burn-in for balanced armature canal phones.

And cable burn-in is just a ridiculous notion.

-Matt, Proud Big Foot Believer

One pro-burn-in, one neutral, one anti-burn-in.

What the hell is going on?
confused.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there will not be an answer to this. do your own listening and decide which camp you want to belong to. if you do or don't, or just think you do or don't, it doesn't matter.

I *think* I have long formulated my own view towards burn-in in BA IEMs.

Now the problem is, people quoting (or mis-quoting) Jerry Harvey...

What did he say or not say?

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 27
It's another one of those contentious issues here.

You are not going to get a definitive answer in this thread.

Personally, I think it's an audiophile ritual or ceremony. If it makes you happy, go ahead and do it. It doesn't cost anything and doesn't hurt your gear.

Whether or not it is an unnecessary waste of time is another matter. I've never deliberately burned in anything and everything sounded great straight out of the box.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, i guess i read your introduction differently as: jerry harvey said what? but others say this, so what is the truth.

Maybe the title isn't really phrased really well.

I'm not really here to look for opinions (or conflicts) over the burning-in of IEMs (not just balanced armature drivers, but IEMs as a whole), because I already have mine. And I'm sure even if there were people interested in my opinion about it it'll be just a sheer waste of time.

My aim is to seek out answers about exactly what Jerry Harvey himself said about the burning in of (custom) IEMs. Now I have seen 4 totally conflicting write-ups so far, and it's giving me a headache.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 27
Maybe you could send a quick email to Jerry Harvey? I don't know if that is going to bother him though.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 27
That is what he has sent me through email. I don't CLAIM that there is burn in, but none the less that is what he told me. However, the emails that he's sent me recently all have massive about of typos and grammar issues, maybe he meant something else?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what he has sent me through email. I don't CLAIM that there is burn in, but none the less that is what he told me. However, the emails that he's sent me recently all have massive about of typos and grammar issues, maybe he meant something else?

I'm sorry if I gave you any false impressions of having the intentions of using your quote against you (detrimentally).

I'm leaning more towards the side of Mr. Harvey being pro-burn-in, but yeah, just wanted to known the opinions of the "man himself".

Do you think it's convenient to put a copy or an image of the e-mail up, with anything else unnecessary censored? Maybe it'd stop people spouting stuff they're unsure of, or at least, I don't know, food for thought?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 27
really WTH does it matter what 'the man himself' says?? it has zero impact on what you yourself hear or dont hear; or at least it shouldnt. regardless of what he says on the matter, it will not change what people say/believe here or other forums. as human beings commenting on a subjective phenomenon, you must make up your own mind; I have.....

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really WTH does it matter what 'the man himself' says?? it has zero impact on what you yourself hear or dont hear; or at least it shouldnt. regardless of what he says on the matter, it will not change what people say/believe here or other forums. as human beings commenting on a subjective phenomenon, you must make up your own mind; I have.....

I think OP isn't looking for an answer or advice. He already has his opinion on this matter. He is just concerned with people quoting Jerry Harvey's statements, which are not consistent.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What the person above said.

Relax, man. No need to get so uptight...

I'm more concerned about the supposed ambiguity on Mr. Harvey's opinion on this. He's a big name in this market; and regardless of our own personal opinions on this here "subjective phenomenon", something that is not congruent with his own words may very well affect his image or rep.

How can one person be on both sides of the fence? =/ It's view A, B, or on the fence...not both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back