Hey, what type of listener do you describe yourself as?
Jun 27, 2001 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
What type of listener do you describe yourself as? A "Duh-m-Bass" (we had created this term back at HeadWize), a "Tin-Ear" or an "Audiophile"? And please take the time to post what type of listener would you rather become. Note that the poll asks only what type of listener you actually are, not what you would rather become.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 35
I said i don't kno *#!@ about sound. Why? Well, mainly cuz i LIKE the 888s, and i realize they are colored. I LIKE the ksc-35s, and realise they sure aint Stax...

Basically, if it sounds good to me, i like it. I can't talk about how good my gear sounds, mainly because ppl will laugh saying - "OH! You think the 888s are that great!? THE ETYS KICK THEIR SORRY BUTTS!" etc. etc.

This constant bud-bashing hurts me deeply. Therefore, i conclude, that I am addicted to head-fi, have nothing useful to say, and don't kno C$%@ about sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 35
coolvij, I'm gonna sound like a teacher here, but don't be so harsh on yourself. I've never heard the 888s because I hate buds.......they always fall out of my ears. But I do have the KS-C35s. To my ears, and realizing they only cost me $15, they sound incredible. I wore them all day yesterday while opening and vacuuming the pool and didn't miss the Grados at all. Of course, in direct comparison, they are missing the impact of my Grados, but by themselves they sound great.........smooth, detailed, nice bass, etc..............everything you find in a good headphone. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 35
Audiophile all the way, baby! Although I really need to work on my snobby voice... maybe a good sneer as well...
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
what is a "Tin-Ear" anyway?

someone who has no idea what sounds good. So by Mike Walker's standards, anyone who doesn't like the Sony V6 or the Sennheiser HD580
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 35
morphsci,

After
wink.gif

Quote:

So by Mike Walker's standards, anyone who doesn't like the Sony V6 or the Sennheiser HD580

Well,

I think to him it's anyone who likes color.

So I guess anyone who likes Grado or Sony or has Tube amps better hide them
sweatdrop.gif

...gee, I hope Mike doesn't take this posts the wrong way, his flames hurt
bouncefire.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 35
yes..wild accusations, blunt insults, some opinionated statements and a whole lotta exclamation points. That's his style, and hey, mine too!
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 35
I feel left out.

I am by no means an audiophile, but I consider myself an enthusiast. I think I do an adequate job of describing some things, but others I know nothing about. Another thing - my "HT" setup has speaker wires that are ~18 gauge, rotting, and as old as me. I need to get new ones. I do feel, however, that expensive cables don't make a difference, not that I have ever owned any.

I am not a tin ear, if something sounds good I know what it is.

I am not a Dhum' Bass, I hate it when bass overpowers everything else. While somtimes a bit extra bass helps (Techno, dance, and thats about it), a balanced sound usually sounds best.

My vote: Add in another poll option for Audio Enthusiast.

Either that or I am in denial.

Jun 27, 2001 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
I do feel, however, that expensive cables don't make a difference, not that I have ever owned any.

I just thought I'd suggest you give several good interconnects a try. I used to not believe they could make much of a difference, but I'm definitely a believer now. We have a nice cable forum here where you may find some of the discussions somewhat interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back