Hey parents! Recommend some preschool kids books.
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
My son is 16 months old, and he loves being read to. Books with rhymes and animals are popular, and trucks as well of course. He is a big fan of Sandra Boynton and Eric Carle, some Dr. Seuss, and others I can't recall off the top of my head.

So what books should we read next? What were your kids' favourite titles?

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 31
Mar 3, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 31
At 16 months I think we were mostly doing the "A - Alligator" type of books. Later we did a huge variety of books: Bearenstain Bears, Dr. Seuss, Curious George, Clifford, Dumb Bunnies, Little Critter, Magic School Bus and many others I can't remember. We had a huge shelf of books, and we would just tell our kids "go pick out 5 books". That way, they would look through the stack and pull out whatever they wanted. My wife got very skilled at hitting garage sales on Saturday mornings and buying large numbers of kids books. The kids don't care if they are new or used, and you can buy boxes full of books for a fraction of the new price. When the kids outgrow them, you can recycle them the same way!

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 31
I have the perfect book for you!

It's called Jazz Baby, written by Lisa Wheeler and illustrated by R. Gregory Christie.

A fantastic, instant-classic feeling book. My daughter LOVES it. We started reading it to her at around 2 and a 1/2 years of age, and she still loves it. (It's also great for younger kids, our niece is about your son's age, and she is crazy about it, too. Sometimes her parents can't mention the title around her or she goes nuts wanting to read it... LOL)

The illustrations are great, as well. Christie has done jazz album covers for years and this book retains the same sort of look.

We've bought a copy for everyone we know who has kids.

Here's an Amazon link.

Highly recommended!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 31
Jazz Baby is also a blast for the parent who gets to read it aloud; very musical, rhythmic phrases that can be varied in many ways, much like the music of its title.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 31
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 31
I'll second the Gorey and we started my niece on Lemony Snicket a little after two. That worked out well - at ten, her sense of humor is turning out nicely.

Also, the bargain bin books are terrific. When I get the chance, I raid junk stores and thrift shops for piles of cheap books. The niece and nephews love it - always plenty to read and no biggie if something is damaged or lost. Also, it's good to give them back to the thrift stores so they can sell them again. I usually shoot for books printed before the 1980s. That's about when advertisers started printing "books" to sell product and special interest groups started throttling things on their agendas, and that goes on both sides of the fence.

Be sure to pick up the classics, too. Aesop's Fables, Grimm's (sanitized or not, depending on your preferences), and the L. Frank Baum books proved very popular. There are several books in the Oz series and they're all good. Same with Lewis Carroll.

Also, expand your take beyond the lit. Pick up volumes of old encyclopedias, science books, text books, and especially old coffee table books. Those are almost always G rated and have great pictures. Even stuff like "Agricultural Survey of America" from 1968 will work - they'll like the pictures of tractors and cows and the exploded view of a combine.

I usually just skim for objectionable content and grab anything that looks interesting. You never know what the kids will pick up on, so throw a big variety at them.

And it's totally cool that you're reading and going through books already. That's absolutely the best thing to do with kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back