Hey! New to the forum, just wanna say hi
Feb 1, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Ampl1tude

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I just wanted say hi to all of you before i start inputing comments on this forum. It seems like a pretty cool forum with alot of knowledge.

Well Firstly, I am a Musician with many years of experience. I am also an Apprentice Audiologist working towards my Masters. (almost there)

All of my equipment are browseble in my Profile, feel free to look and provide any comments or feedback. There are tons of information on my rig in it. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again,

Gab

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 31
Welcome to Head-Fi, I'd say sorry about your wallet but it seems like you've already given it a workout based on your profile. By the way, next time I'm in Ottawa I'll be by for some free custom ear impressions
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 31
an Audiologist at head-fi... you could come in handy
280smile.gif

edit: NICE PROFILE! where can i get me one of these
"Soundproofed, Corner Bass Trapped(x4), Acousticly modified for Solo Recording(Drums/Singing) and Audio Reproduction, Diffusion Treated room. "
LOL AWSOME!!!

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
an Audiologist at head-fi... you could come in handy
280smile.gif

edit: NICE PROFILE! where can i get me one of these
"Soundproofed, Corner Bass Trapped(x4), Acousticly modified for Solo Recording(Drums/Singing) and Audio Reproduction, Diffusion Treated room. "
LOL AWSOME!!!

Ya, no kidding! I hope that you'll enjoy it here and stick around. We tend to have a lot of fun (most days) and there are all sorts interesting characters... but no audiologists that I know of! What a cool room as well. I'm sure you'll have a LOT of morsels of knowledge to share with us. Welcome.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 31
Welcome to Head-Fi!

As the resident Head-Fi audiologist, get ready to field the seemingly monthly question on what constitutes safe listening levels.
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 31
lol, My rigs are made in a collaboration of me and my dad. We tend to spend most of our money on it (and none on other essential things
rolleyes.gif
). We get most of our equipment shipping in from the united kingdoms.

Oh yeah! And about your question on how to construct the room:

You have to take it into consideration before even starting to build up the walls. (we bought the house with an unfinished basement.) Then you'd have to buy some special insulations for the walls and reinforce it with a metal alloy that resists the vibrations of the bass produced by your speakers(Mainly edgy trough waves and subsonic frequences). Then.. all you gotta do is get some acoustic foam and call in acoustic technician with some psychoacoustic diagnostic knowledge and your all set.

Its actually pretty cheap if you plan ahead (Before you build a room) and know how to do it yourself. I was fortunate enough to know a acoustic technician who did it for me... (regularly they'd be pretty pricey)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 31
lol, safe sound levels. Don't even get me started on that subject... damn pre-teens and their +20000dB music.
confused.gif
They never seem to listen...
etysmile.gif
Let the questions begin :p

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude
Let the questions begin :p

alrighty... can someone who suffers from high frequency hearing loss still hear that annoying high pitched sound a tv makes? and is high frequencies always the first to go when you suffer from hear dmg?

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Hey guys!

I just wanted say hi to all of you before i start inputing comments on this forum. It seems like a pretty cool forum with alot of knowledge.

Well Firstly, I am a Musician with many years of experience. I am also an Apprentice Audiologist working towards my Masters. (almost there)

All of my equipment are browseble in my Profile, feel free to look and provide any comments or feedback. There are tons of information on my rig in it. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again,

Gab

Welcome to Hell-Fi
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Hey guys!

Thanks again,

Gab

Hi!

I like Pokemon cards!

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 31
In reply for your questions:

If you do suffer from minor/major high-frequency hearing loss, you can still hear the "hss" of the Television set because the "hss" tends to dominate more in the mid-range and low-end Hz ("hss" is consisted of scattered overtones) *Even though the high frequences appear to be louder, there are more scattered inharmonics in the mid-low range*. People often "hear" more of the high frequency noises is because there are more "constructive interference" in the high frequency range of the noise (Further amplifying it), and the mid-low end frequences are often silenced down due to "destructive interference).

So all in all, you will still hear the hss of the television set.

For your other question:

No.Technicly high frequences aren't neccesarily the first to fade when you lose your hearing. (even though it might seem like it from temporary hearing loss *subjected to a high volume for a period of time*) It might seem like it does though because most of the things these days are most dominant in the high-range. We "evolved" to be more dominant in distinguishing high pitches to low pitches.

For more info about this and in-dept details, contact your local audiologist. (its fairly complicated to explain)

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Welcome aboard.

There are some nicely relevant threads for your occupation.

Ear wax type genetics.

Earbuds causing more hearing damage......

-Ed

See how popular you are already..
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

In reply for your questions:

If you do suffer from minor/major high-frequency hearing loss, you can still hear the "hss" of the Television set because the "hss" tends to dominate more in the mid-range and low-end Hz ("hss" is consisted of scattered overtones) *Even though the high frequences appear to be louder, there are more scattered inharmonics in the mid-low range*. People often "hear" more of the high frequency noises is because there are more "constructive interference" in the high frequency range of the noise (Further amplifying it), and the mid-low end frequences are often silenced down due to "destructive interference).

So all in all, you will still hear the hss of the television set.

For your other question:

No.Technicly high frequences aren't neccesarily the first to fade when you lose your hearing. (even though it might seem like it from temporary hearing loss *subjected to a high volume for a period of time*) It might seem like it does though because most of the things these days are most dominant in the high-range. We "evolved" to be more dominant in distinguishing high pitches to low pitches.

For more info about this and in-dept details, contact your local audiologist. (its fairly complicated to explain)

eek.gif
thanks.... well you know your stuff! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back