Hey guys, need some new cans
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Duncandun

100+ Head-Fier
Hey head-fi, its been a bit. Hope you've been well. 

Anywho,after moving 3,300 miles and diving into budget-fi for a while prior to the move and after(my Maxells broke on the trip, apparently 4 pillows will break the swivel bar, and my free replacements(that guy on amazon is so nice!) they also broke, about a month and a half ago.), I've decided to return to the land of qualityproducts triumphantly.

Currently rocking my Superlux 668b which have great sound, but comfort is pretty crap and I'm afraid they will break due to cheaper build quality. Also they look goofy as hell and after being accosted on the bus while wearing them I have decided against wearing antlerphones outdoors.

I'm in the market for a headphone with the following qualities:

good sound quality(duh!)
portability(not a MAJOR issue, but I'd like to be able to walk to the store and not feel like I'm wearing some kind of orthodontic headgear)
COMFORT(cant stand uncomfortable cans, it defeats the purpose imo)
build quality(no breaks after 3 months of light use please(looking at you grado, Maxell))
price~~(I'd prefer under $100)

guess i should say, I plan on using these out of a computer and a mp3 player with the assistance of a DAC/AMP. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music, but I like headphones with a little bit of a enhanced bass or atleast great bass response.

So, with this in mind what I've been looking at:

hd25
I have literally been lusting after the hd25 for years, but have never thrown down to get them. I feel that I may finally do that with the right encouragement, as it seems more and more common to see used hd25's going for ~100 dollars. I'm not afraid of used cans, esp with HD25s espoused indestructibility. However, my main concern with the hd25 would be comfort, as I've heard they have some major clamping force and even a good bit of clamping force will give me a skullsplitting headache and some raw ears to go with it. With that said, I was considering a used product might remedy this as well or atleast mitigate(due to clamping force lessening over prolonged use?).

??(your suggestion here)

??(your suggestion here)

??(your suggestion here)

so yeah, thats all I got so far. come at me bros'.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I am in the process of collecting a bunch of sub $100 cans myself.  Right now I am waiting on a set of Alessandro MS1i and Senn Hd555 to arrive.  So I am kind of interested to see what other recomendation are made here as well.  From my reading though the two cans I have ordered (and wil hopefully arrive tomorrow!!! woohoo) are both great but have markedly different sound signitures. 

-Chris

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Here are a few recommendations for ya:

Shure SRH 440

Sennheiser HD 448

a used Audio-Technica ATH-M50

All of the above options are sound isolating with the Shures and Audio-Technicas having a collapsible design for better portability.  The Shures have a neutral sound signature that can be a bit bright at times, but they have exceptional clarity.  The Audio-Technicas have a more aggressive sound signature with a deeper more extended bass, the Sennheisers are also highly regarded as well.  All three headphones are great options so you really can't go wrong with any off them.

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 7

I can vouch for the M-50s.  They're the perfect headphone for everything you listed, and they're great for heavy music.
Quote:
Here are a few recommendations for ya:

Shure SRH 440

Sennheiser HD 448

a used Audio-Technica ATH-M50

All of the above options are sound isolating with the Shures and Audio-Technicas having a collapsible design for better portability.  The Shures have a neutral sound signature that can be a bit bright at times, but they have exceptional clarity.  The Audio-Technicas have a more aggressive sound signature with a deeper more extended bass, the Sennheisers are also highly regarded as well.  All three headphones are great options so you really can't go wrong with any off them.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 7
how much do M50s go for used? I remember last year they were going for ~100ish new I thought, but seems like everyones been hiking up their prices (with their rise in popularity?). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back