Hewlett Packard Technical Support [i wish this is a joke]!
Sep 21, 2009 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

komi

OK, i got to tell you !

A week ago i got me new HP TouchSmart tx2-1270us Notebook PC !!!

Like all Notebooks, come with pre installed system files on recovery partition on HDD, and this actually installs when you run notebook for first time ...

After a half hour or so, i got it all set, and after rebooting - i got error message to HP Smart Media software wont run ... a bit strange to pre installed software wont run .. OK, i do some vista updates and this finally run ...

Nice - sleek notebook, but i am on Win7 already, and i wanted to upgrade Notebook system too ...
Downloaded fresh Win7 from MSDN web site, installed and - half of devices don't have drivers for Win7 ...
OK, is beta, i can understand that ... I try to do something about it, download some drivers from OEM web sites, but - i cant find all what i need ...
Well, looks i need to wait some time to switch to Win7 on that one ...
Next step was - go back and recovery Notebook to factory state right ?

Not that fast ...
After rebooting, F11 should start recovery procedure from Recovery Partition right ? Well, not in this case .. F11 doing NOTHING ...
What ever, i dis some old DVD with Vista and i installed - counting on HP recovery Manager software ...
I install Vista Home Premium, and i go online to download Recovery manager software ...

There was first shock ... THE IS NO SUPPORT or DRIVER DOWNLOAD page on HP technical support web site for that model ... i try to find this particular model on HP web site, no way ... search wont find anything about that one on support page ...
OK, maybe i am doing something wrong ... i install HP add-on for auto-detection but - HP auto-detection function recognize new notebook like some old Compaq ...

Well, next step was - Call Technical support right ? Some lady answer the phone and conversation starts ...

First 45 min. was my trying to explain to i do everything i should do to recover system ... but - wont run ...

OK, she point me to some link where i have to download Recovery Manager software and i did it, when i try to install - i got error "Recovery manager cant be installed on this system" !!!!!????? I ask her why is that, and she told me i cant run Recovery Manage on 3rd party system !!!!!?????

"Are you telling me original MS windows, downloaded from MSDN web site is a 3rd party software? "

"Well - it is ..... to us. "

"This mean - i MUST run OS i got with this notebook or - some soft cant be installed on system"

"That is correct"

"OK, i cant upgrade to OS i want to run right?"

"That is correct"

She told me to i need to order recovery CDs from HP - to wait probably a month or something and to pay 40 bucks ...

HELL NO !

How ever, i have a notebook with formatted HDD, i cant run Win7 ultimate, and i cant recover ... this is what she told me, cuz "Win7 delete a MBR where is recovery routins stored" [what is not true, cuz i just format HDD, i dont change partitions on HDD] ... and my notebook is useless until i buy recovery dvds right?

also HP don't look for hardware when looking for original HP product, it looks for installed OS, what is wrong ...

I install my Vista again and go to system manager to see what is going on with partition. i find out to recovery partition is also set like primary partition on HDD, but - is not active ... I set like Active partition - reboot notebook, and - press F11 ...

HELLO, "WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES" - recovery procedure is on the way ...

After some time and have HDD on factory state ... And recovery procedure also fix change i did when i set Recovery partition to "Active" ... ALL fixed ..

Good, next thing i did, i pack that thing back to box and returned to store ...
When they ask me why i am returning, i explain in short my Technical Support experience! They told me this is common problem in this store with HP and DELL notebooks ...

HP Techical support have Driver and Software download page for thet model fixed now, but - too late ... [ looks like my open ticket No: 8029608308 help a bit ]

I like all features on thet thing, touch screen, fingerprint reader, remote controll, but what i like the best was SPDIF autput ... This can be really nice media center, with quad core, 4 gb RAM. 500 GB HDD, nice graphic etc etc ...

But - missing technical support, and some software limitation on Vista only was bad ...

Well, i am back on looking for Notebook i want ... i got me Toshiba Satellite and i am not in hurry ...

Bit - it WONT BE HP for sure ...

Sorry to bother you with this post, but my point is - HP Technical Support sucks ...

... and - if your HP recovery wont run, and you dont have recovery DVDs - go and set Recovery Partition like "Active" reboot and hit F11 - and you are good to go ... DONT BUY RECOVERY DVDs ...

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 46
HP technical/warranty support is a joke. I bought my HP 17" last year with the Infinity Display "option." There is an inherent design flaw that allows dust to collect in between the actual display panel and the glass overlay, it has been well documented all over the internet and yet only once in a blue moon do they actually repair the problem under warranty (If you can call replacing the dusty screen with a new one that will eventually have the same problem a repair).

I had to threaten filing a formal complaint with the local AG's office and pressing for litigation to have HP actually agree to take the laptop in and look at what they could do. If they stick me with repair expenses I swear to God...someone will get ripped a new one.
angry_face.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 46
Damn. And I was pissed when I had to get $15 recovery disks that take a week to arrive. I spent alot of time on the phone yelling at them for that, and now I'm having charger problems, but that's free to fix so I'm getting one on the 24th.

Is'o'kay. I still love my G60-230US no matter how f-'ed up it gets.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my HP 17" last year with the Infinity Display "option." There is an inherent design flaw that allows dust to collect in between the actual display panel and the glass overlay, it has been well documented all over the internet

oh c'mon! only dust? you can do better than that
bug.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 46
You're paying for the license you should get the full install disc. Funny how one sided it is, no physical disc is provided, but if you copy a album that you paid for already, have mercy on your soul...

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh c'mon! only dust? you can do better than that
bug.gif

Uhh, you have no clue what you're talking about. There're large chunks of dust and glue particles from the sealer physically stuck inside the "screen". The glass overlay is supposed to be sealed however this is not the case and it cannot be opened to remove it with out damaging the display. This is not a simple case of wipe it off and be on your way. Google Infinity Display and Dust and you'll see the problem.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 46
I am not surprised at the trouble you have with your HP. They seem to go through a lot of trouble to make sure you cannot do anything with your computer except throwing it out.

I used to have a HP Desktop Pavilion, and some day I decided to upgrade my ram and graphics card... no big deal right? I ordered 2 new sticks, put them in and... computer crash every 30 seconds due to the bios refusing to alter any of its settings. The bios on the motherboard was completely locked, a HPified generic motherboard in other words. So in order to change my ram I also had to change my motherboard.

I receive my new motherboard, onward to installing it, wait a minute, it doesn't fit!!! The casing is slightly shorter than regular to get a sleeker HP look. Order a new casing!

I receive the new casing, install the ram and the graphics card, everything going well except a call to microsoft to confirm it is the only computer running the windows key. I launch a game, computer shuts down due to the Power Supply installed by HP being just strong enough to handle the internal video card of the old motherboard, but not strong enough to handle an external video card.

So in order to upgrade 2 very basic components on my old HP desktop computer I had upgraded: Casing, Motherboard, Power Supply, RAM, Graphics Card and kept my hard drive and CD-Rom.

I am never buying HP again.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There're large chunks of dust and glue particles from the sealer physically stuck inside the "screen".

lot of guys got insects stuck in their LCD screens, that's what I meant
wink.gif

01wv1.jpg

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not surprised at the trouble you have with your HP. They seem to go through a lot of trouble to make sure you cannot do anything with your computer except throwing it out.

I used to have a HP Desktop Pavilion, and some day I decided to upgrade my ram and graphics card... no big deal right? I ordered 2 new sticks, put them in and... computer crash every 30 seconds due to the bios refusing to alter any of its settings. The bios on the motherboard was completely locked, a HPified generic motherboard in other words. So in order to change my ram I also had to change my motherboard.

I receive my new motherboard, onward to installing it, wait a minute, it doesn't fit!!! The casing is slightly shorter than regular to get a sleeker HP look. Order a new casing!

I receive the new casing, install the ram and the graphics card, everything going well except a call to microsoft to confirm it is the only computer running the windows key. I launch a game, computer shuts down due to the Power Supply installed by HP being just strong enough to handle the internal video card of the old motherboard, but not strong enough to handle an external video card.

So in order to upgrade 2 very basic components on my old HP desktop computer I had upgraded: Casing, Motherboard, Power Supply, RAM, Graphics Card and kept my hard drive and CD-Rom.

Your post is reason why I never buy a prebuilt computer from the large corps, Dell, HP, Compaq etc as they're not standard PC components. I remember I had to pratically build a new PC, like you get one part nope that doesn't work, PSU not ATX standard, so just spent money on board and memory, and still got a useless PSU and case.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 46
As far as I'm concerned, the last decent product they made was the HP-41 series hand held calculators (a la RPN).

hp41sm.png

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post is reason why I never buy a prebuilt computer from the large corps, Dell, HP, Compaq etc as they're not standard PC components. I remember I had to pratically build a new PC, like you get one part nope that doesn't work, PSU not ATX standard, so just spent money on board and memory, and still got a useless PSU and case.

I was 13 and gave my parents a list of computer parts I wanted to build my own computer for Christmas, and I received a HP. I couldn't of done it any differently
normal_smile .gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THANK YOU !

I dont feel THAT bad anymore ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back