Help!!!
Oct 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HurricaneBob

New Head-Fier
I just came across Head-Fi today and have spent my entire night reading the sight.  I have a couple on long flights coming up soon (one on Friday) and wanted to get a set of headphones to replace my Bose QC2 - I only used them on airplanes and got them for the noise cancelling feature.

After reading the reviews on the site, I think I've narrowed down to the choices:
  • ATH-M50
  • HD25-1 II
  • AKG 550
  • EDIT: I was also considering the M80s but am concerned about isolation Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (based on Wolfetans' recommendation)

I mainly listen to rock/metal and latin music as well as a lot of acoustic stuff and am really looking for crisp detail.  Also, while I realize this is a compromise with isolation, I like a wider sound stage. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction or maybe mention some additional models that I'm overlooking.

Also, on a side note, I went to Best Buy earlier today to get a pair of decent headphones for my trip on Friday. I decided (against my better judgement) to get the Skullcandy Aviators mainly because I like the look - I thought if they were half way decent I could deal with mediocre sound on one trip.  I have to say that they are a huge disappointment (although the more I listen to them the less I hate them); they just seem to lack any depth and sound hollow, not to mention isolation is terrible.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a moderately priced set that I can readily pick up at Best Buy? These things are going back tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
I just came across Head-Fi today and have spent my entire night reading the sight.  I have a couple on long flights coming up soon (one on Friday) and wanted to get a set of headphones to replace my Bose QC2 - I only used them on airplanes and got them for the noise cancelling feature.

After reading the reviews on the site, I think I've narrowed down to the choices:
  • ATH-M50
  • HD25-1 II
  • AKG 550
  • I was also considering the M80s but am concerned about isolation

I mainly listen to rock/metal and latin music as well as a lot of acoustic stuff and am really looking for crisp detail.  Also, while I realize this is a compromise with isolation, I like a wider sound stage. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction or maybe mention some additional models that I'm overlooking.

Also, on a side note, I went to Best Buy earlier today to get a pair of decent headphones for my trip on Friday. I decided (against my better judgement) to get the Skullcandy Aviators mainly because I like the look - I thought if they were half way decent I could deal with mediocre sound on one trip.  I have to say that they are a huge disappointment (although the more I listen to them the less I hate them); they just seem to lack any depth and sound hollow, not to mention isolation is terrible.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a moderately priced set that I can readily pick up at Best Buy? These things are going back tomorrow.

For travel--especially unamped--the Senn is you best choice.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for the help, KG Jag.

Do you think there's anything else that I should be looking at (my budget is up to $400)?

The Mad Dogs by Mr.Speakers or the Sony MDR-1R.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 16
Most headphones reauire a dedicated amp to sound their best, but they still sound great IMO without one. But they definitely sound better with a quality dedicated amp.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Just add on a FiiO E11 + LOD. And what did you end up getting?

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Just add on a FiiO E11 + LOD. And what did you end up getting?

I actually ended up ordering (I would rank them in this order):

HP100s (unamped)
M50s
UE6000

I've been traveling a good amount, but will try to get my thoughts on each one up here in the next couple of days.

In summary, I found the HP100s to be the most balanced and enjoyable to listen to, the UE6000s were the most comfortable, and the M50s were a fun, good sounding set.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

I actually ended up ordering (I would rank them in this order):

HP100s (unamped)
M50s
UE6000

I've been traveling a good amount, but will try to get my thoughts on each one up here in the next couple of days.

In summary, I found the HP100s to be the most balanced and enjoyable to listen to, the UE6000s were the most comfortable, and the M50s were a fun, good sounding set.

Ah, nice! I've never tried those. The UE6000's were at the Apple store but they weren't working
mad.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

• ATH-M50
  • HD25-1 II
  • AKG 550
  • EDIT: I was also considering the M80s but am concerned about isolation Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (based on Wolfetans' recommendation)

HurricaneBob,
You might be overlooking the V-Moda Crossfade M-80.
The sound quality is very crisp (personal opinion from personal experience).
The soundstage is very wide.
Noise isolation is superb as well.
Only $150 on Amazon!!

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Glad to hear your enjoying the HP100, what you read was right?

:)

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Just an FYI, the the Bose QC headphones are fantastic for air travel. I wouldn't use any of those headphones over the QC2 for air travel.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #14 of 16
I checked out the M80s at an airport store (can't remember where I was), and I remember liking the sound but the isolation wasn't enough for me.

The SoundMAGICs are by far my favorite out of the group I've tried (admittedly, I haven't heard the HD25s), even unamped. I haven't listened to the QC2 in probably 3 or 4 years now (I loaned them to my brother and he lost them), but I remember the noise cancelling feature working extremely well and sound quality was good, but I think I prefer the sound of the MAGICs. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm glad we have another person who loves the HP100 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back