help with upgrade from es7 to something similar but better
Sep 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

soundeffect

1000+ Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all, what do you guys think would be a good upgrade from the es7?  I like the way how the es7 have that fun factor with good bass.  To me they seem very forward and fast pace portable headphones.  I'm not looking for IEMs just portable smaller headphones.  I've been interested in the HD25-1 II or ES10, of course the hd25-1 II is more realistic of a price for me.  I can probable get the HD25-1 II sooner where as the es10 I probable have to save up some money.

What I am afraid of is the hd25-1 II might be too laid back and neutral or lack bass impact compare to the es7.  I'm not looking for deep bass, but some strong impacting bass. (not grado I heard they are impactful, but lack bass).  I hoping there are something similar to the es7, but stronger or more bass if possible and better clarity and details. 

If someone can suggest something else would be fine also or just insight on the headphone I listed above or there experience the difference from the es7.  I guess I can throw this into the mix also, what do you guys think about amp with the es7? would that be a better route then upgrading?  I'm leaning more to upgrading since the es7 are easy to drive headphones.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I know you said no Grado, but you should try to find a used Grado SR-60 or SR-80 and mod it. It adds a ton of bass and I really like mine now. It's easy to do if you're careful and take it slow.

My main focus is on the mids and vocals and then everything else. Instruments that sound as natural as possible is so important. I'm really picky. I normally can't stand the highs on the SR-80, but the mod fixed it for me, whatever I did. Maybe it had to do with the grill/grating.  It's the most fun headphone I have in my collection. Everything sounds great. It took me over 5 years to finally like them. No joke!

I was going to not reply to this thread, since I had no clue what to suggest, but I just had too.

I also want to try out the ES10. Maybe someday. $370 is a lot of money to spent on such a tiny on-ear headphone. If they sound good, I don't care.

Never liked the HD25-1 II. Vocals seemed a bit "off" when I tried them and I returned them because of this. Overall they sounded as good as a $100 headphone, but nearly everyone would disagree with me. The build quality was excellent though.

I'm willing to bet money that anyone who liked the Grado sound and put mid-range quality at #1 would like the Koss Pro DJ 100. Probably the best headphone i've ever owned. It'd make my day to actually hear of one other human that actually tried it with a decent amp and loved it. Along with the HD-600 it has the best vocals.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the suggestion, what is this mod you speak of so that I can look it up here? I'm sort of afraid of Grado as it seem to be a love/hate relationship to a lot of owners.  The highs I am scared of and the bass might not satisfy me also but it never hurt to look into it.  Plus the price on these are reasonable. I'm not commiting to anything yet of course just learning for future purchase. I'm trying not be be irrational like before and jump the guns and find out that I didn't like them too much.

I totally agree with you on the es10. The cost for a portable size headphone is a little too deep for my pocket right now. I'm waiting for its price to drop more before I would make a jump and if not then I might never know how it sounds.  The es10 seems to be the closes I can get to the sound of the es7.  I also thought about the esw9a, but from what I read they seems like they might be a little bit more laid back. 

I can see the HD25-1 II output being lower than what I am actually paying, but hey it's a portable.  I thought about the ew70, but I think they might be all bass and nothing more. Plus that type of bass I think I might already have it...the M50. 

I might jump for the Denon D2000 or one of the beyers mabe the dt770/dt990? I don't know for sure yet as right now I want portable.  After owning the es7, I like the way how they are light weight, small, closed but my ears still can breathe, and the performance is big for such a small little guy. 

If possible can you tell me what else you don't like or like about the HD25-1 II?  I heard their are other type of HD25-1 II like the C and stuff, do you know what the difference on those are?

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 5
You can find a thread called "SR60 mod". Luckily the highs don't bother me so much anymore. Normally I can't use them for more then an hour, especially the 325i. In the end it may not be worth it unless you can get a pair used or for very cheap. I had my SR-80s for years and wanted to finally make use of them. I only liked them after modding.

Basically what it involves is opening up the case and poking 4-6 or more holes around the driver. I went with 6. You then remove a cloth filter and line the inside of the ear cup with felt and put a felt circle on the back of a magnet.

Something I did tamed the highs and I think it was when I removed the button and added the felt. Maybe a combination of that and the flat pads helped.

I love the bass on them now but before I felt they didn't have enough. There is a tad too much mid-bass, but nothing too bad. Vocals and any type of guitar is the absolute best on these.

I honestly shouldn't talk about the HD-25-1 II much. I only tried them out for one day. They fit fine and were comfortable but the #1 reason I took them back is just due to how inaccurate male vocals sounded. Felt like they they were just a bit "off". Perhaps they needed more burn-in. I guess everyone else seems to love them, so it shouldn't be a problem. I actually felt like they sounded more like a $100 headphone, but like I was paying extra for the build quality and smaller size.

I actually just returned my ESW9a. I hated them and the bass ruined it for me and the vocals were hard to hear and specific instruments sounded so distant. I made a post in the full size forum a day ago and people actually suggested the ES7 or ES10 instead!

Thinking of giving the Denon D2000 another chance. I had them in the past and there one of the few bigger headphones that work fine out of an amp. The bass at the time was too much for me, but I needed to burn them in longer I think.

I owned the DT-990 32 ohm version for 3 years and loved them, but at the time I didn't realize some people considered them to have recessed mids.

D2000 is only $198 now, so it can't hurt for me to try them again. What's strange is that the HFI-680 seems to have more bass, but I loved the bass on those and it didn't bother me at all.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Wow, you pretty much hit a lot of the ones I wanted to try.  I like bass, I believe I'm sort of a bass head.  I don't like that term, but it is what it is.  The mod seems interesting, but I usually don't like to mod things too much because it takes away the idea of the headphone sound signature, if that makes any sense.  At the same time lol, You mention the grado mod can be slightly too much mid bass, I was thinking to myself that is cool.  I like mid bass and am just okay with low deep sub bass.

yeah if you had the ESW9a and don't like them,  I think there is a slim chance you will like the ES7.  I think the ES7 might not hit the quality you might expect of them considering you been through the higher bracket headphones.  Maybe the ES10, but then the pricing.  Portable are just not your type I believe. I think with portable you have to not think about pricing point, but just the sound quality if you like them or not.  Instead of if you like them for what you paid.  Price to sound quality ratio for them are not exactly good, but the overall package (being portable, sound quality etc) to price ratio is good.

The Denon D2000 are know to be bassy so I'm not sure if burn in will work for you.  I don't know, when I purchase headphones, I like to know I like them right off bat and if burn make them sound better than great.  I don't like to depend on burn in too much because it seem base on others that burn varies in time too much.

What do think about the HFI 680? Do you know out of the three 580,680,780 which one hass the most bass?  I see people not like the 780 every once in awhile and not awhole lot about the other two.

The beyer 990 I might try the 600 ohm, but then again the beyers seems to be on the high spectrum compare to the others I'm looking at. I'm trying to stay close to $200, but I might stretch a little if I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back