Help with Samsung HDTV
Dec 1, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 33
Well first yes why wouldnt you use a component connection (HDMI if availiavle), if a better connection is availiable why not use it...

And secondly get HD service

Thirdy you did get a cheap LCD so what did you expect.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A component out from a set top box does not necessarily mean it is HD capable. The only way to tell is if it has an HDMI output. I have a set top box that has an S-video out and a component out but it is only SD capable.

HDMI can carry SD too
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was uncalled for.

to OP: Based on what everyone has said and a good look at your satellite box and the manual you should be able to figure out which cable hookup would be best. Then either go to a local Radio Shack or Best Buy or (far cheaper) visit monoprice dot com to buy the cable. Don't forget about audio cable(s). If in doubt, call monoprice and explain your situation.

Mooch

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 33
Also, check your picture settings and look into avsforum by searching your LCD model and see what settings people like using (if it matters with LCD's). When I got my DLP, SD TV looked horrible until I fine tuned its settings and then got an HD box.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Such a low blow of a response. What's the problem with Samsung LCD's?

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

I don't recall Samsung being "cheap".

Also to someone who asked, my xbox is hooked up through HDMI. But I still can't figure out why my parents' tv looks better, I will just have to look at the connection myself.

Another note, for some reason when I play games on my xbox on my new tv, it's aliases (sp?) like crazy. I see jaggies on every surface, is there something I can do?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #23 of 33
That tv has no s-video connections, so I would shoot for component myself, but if your cable box has no component then composite is a better choice than coax.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the component cable and you will be fine, so much crap about getting a component cable, WTH!

To add to this: monoprice.com has really good prices on cables. I bought several cables from them, no complaints other than the HDMI cables being too sturdy (the components are fine).

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recall Samsung being "cheap".

Also to someone who asked, my xbox is hooked up through HDMI. But I still can't figure out why my parents' tv looks better, I will just have to look at the connection myself.

Another note, for some reason when I play games on my xbox on my new tv, it's aliases (sp?) like crazy. I see jaggies on every surface, is there something I can do?

As iv always said you get what you pay for. If you bought some senn hd280, you wouldnt expect them to sound as good as a set of hd650s would you.
Iv never seen a good LCD in my life...(I like the jaggies comment, a new proccessor might help)

Sorry to be blunt, im tired of best buy and such corrupting the minds of consumers.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

As iv always said you get what you pay for. If you bought some senn hd280, you wouldnt expect them to sound as good as a set of hd650s would you.
Iv never seen a good LCD in my life...(I like the jaggies comment, a new proccessor might help)

Regardless how you feel about his purchase, he merely had the wrong type of connection and the problem (this thread is about) is cured with a component video cable.
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Sorry to be blunt, im tired of best buy and such corrupting the minds of consumers.

Move along, move along. This isn't a plasma vs. LCD debate. AVS members and those in the know won't agree with you or me on this one. Why? They both excel at different things.

Also, what did you mean you get what you pay for? What did he pay? When did LCD's become way cheaper than other alternatives? Did you pm him and ask which model he purchased?

Anyway, nice choice on the Sammy LCD Clincher. They make a great TV. But seriously, get HD quick. The VIP722 from Dish Network is great! Check CNET.com.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Move along, move along. This isn't a plasma vs. LCD debate. AVS members and those in the know won't agree with you or me on this one. Why? They both excel at different things.

Also, what did you mean you get what you pay for? What did he pay? When did LCD's become way cheaper than other alternatives? Did you pm him and ask which model he purchased?

Anyway, nice choice on the Sammy LCD Clincher. They make a great TV. But seriously, get HD quick. The VIP722 from Dish Network is great! Check CNET.com.

Actually i read threads dont just jump in. Post #12 LN32A300J1DXZA

Yes some are better for some applications, like computers and commercial or moives and tv.

But ill leave now im not wanted

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #30 of 33
I have been told by friends in the industry that most Samsung LCD's are delivered with "store demo mode" still enabled.

In this mode, the TV picture will revert after 20 minutes to a horrible bright setting that looks good only in a warehouse, regardless of the current settings you might have enabled after visting avsforum.

It is tricky to find the magic menu sequence to turn off "store demo", so check your manual.

With old fashioned Comcast analog serivce, making a coax connection right to the LCD from the wall, my Samsung looked great, once I used avsforum settings and turned off "store demo".

Sure it looks better now that I converted to Comcast digital, got the moto stb, and hooked it up via hdmi (tuned to an HD station) ... but it looked damn fine with coax.

Also -- there are ambient lighting and other reasons to prefer LCD over plasma in some situations. This stuff is well known, why the controversy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back