Help with new system; headphones & amp
Nov 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jimmy-Jack

New Head-Fier

[size=10pt][size=10pt] [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Hello all, [/size] [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I'm new here and have come seeking advice in establishing a shortlist for a headphones/amp combo.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]  [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I want build a stand-alone headphone system. The source will be a music server consisting of a large RAID, controlled by a Mac computer; D to A conversion is via a Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC (a single ended source). I play mainly redbook files; occasionally higher res. Musical preferences: 80% jazz and classical (orchestral); 20% other. [/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Auditioning equipment will likely require that I travel; before doing that, I'd like to get my bearings. [/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]In the non-headphone world, I use and very much appreciated SET power amps driving horns, so naturally and possibly stupidly, I've been concentrating my research on tubed headphone amps (been trying to get my mind around the offerings from both Woo and Eddie Current), but am open to considering others. [/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]As for headphones; I'm totally open.

Budget: Open.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I spent the day reading this forum and in it, have discovered a wonderful resource; at the same time, I must admint to being overwhelmed by the quantity of information... I'll keep reading. Meanwhile, I send out this request for advice.[/size][/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Thanks in advance.[/size][/size][/size]

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Firstly, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Secondly, even I am sometimes overwhelmed by the information overload on Head-Fi. Just filter out the bits of information you need or prepare for confusion. 

80% Jazz and Classical music, 20% other genres... As for the headphone how do you like your sound?

80% of you music implies you want clarity, definition, detail, musicality and the full spectrum of sounds, in short: you need one very versatile and capable headphone for most of your music. And I have not even begun about sound stage, instrument separation and a certain balance in sound also matter. (My interpretation of one aspect of your question.)

Again, how do you like you sound? Rephrasing: how does the music have to sound for you to enjoy it? 

I am not too familiar with amplifiers so I cannot help you with that.

Good luck anyway...

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 7
[size=medium]Deep Funk,[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for the welcome.[/size]

[size=medium]How do I like my music to sound?[/size]

[size=medium]If I were to answer in a single word, that word would be "normal".[/size]

[size=medium]Exaggerated presentations; exaggerated bass, exaggerated HF "air", exaggerated sound stage and all other 3D tricks may seem impressive in the short term, but as this system will be used while I work, meaning for several hours each day, I want to avoid the "special effects realm" of audio. That would include avoiding "tight/fast bass"... I understand the short-term entertainment value of such bass reproduction, but the only place bass is tight and fast, is when it is reproduced by freak-show audio systems (been there); real bass is extended.[/size]

[size=medium]At the same time, I'm not necessarily looking to replicate a live performance. Excellent if that's the case, but when listening to reproduction of an audio event, I'm mostly interested in accessing what was originally expressed; what the artist intended to show via the selection/rejection of information, and what he/she was demonstrating via that selection. Better stop there, lest I launch myself into complete drivel, but you did ask a complex question.[/size]

[size=medium]I suppose an important factor to consider in the selection of headphones, in my case, would be the fact that I listen to a lot of orchestral music, and the fact that it includes complex passages which in the non-headphone world, tend to bring single-driver systems to their knees. However, in the world of headphones, I don't know how applicable these experiences might be. [/size]

[size=medium]Speaking of experience, honestly, I have almost no experience with phones... I own a pair of cheap, plastic Sennheiser HD200s that I sometimes I plug directly into my computer... I selected them mostly based on their balanced presentation (balanced from LF to HF). The cups are too small for my ears and end up bruising them; I can't stand it for more than a half a day.[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks again for your comments.[/size]

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Well with an open budget...

It sounds like the Decware CSP2 may be perfect for you, (SET).  Pair this with something from beyerdynamix and you should have exactly what your looking for.  I would suggest the DT990/600ohm or the T1.  

Of course you could also take the plunge into nicer cables, power, interconnects and recables for your headphone of choice.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 7
If you want to keep it simple a Sennheiser PX200 II could be all you need. I does not even need amplification. As a work headphone it should be very good. It is compact, on ear and it folds so you can store it. Sound wise it handles most genres of music and vocals are very good. 

Normal? Sorry but if the music is good enough it will pick you up and take you away. A beautiful song is still a beautiful song, even if the sound system sounds bad. 

Good luck...

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 7
[size=medium]Kboe,[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for the pointer... I spent some time checking out the Decware CSP2, and have to say that I'm impressed with Steve's approach to business.[/size]

[size=medium]In my initial post, I cited products from Woo and Eddie Current, both of which, like the CSP2, include OTL designs. In the non-headphone world, I've always steered clear of OTL amps; in part because I can't afford to have my speakers taken out by a shorted tube, and in part because of what I've heard (personally) of their sound, but that's not been much. In any case, I don't see many headphone amps with an out put transformer...[/size]

[size=medium]I also like the way the CSP2 looks with the optional contemporary base (not a fan of the more baroque anniversary wood base). Purely on aesthetic grounds, I'm sort of a fan of the old MLB; I tend to like a pure, straight forward, lab equipment sort of aesthetic.[/size]

[size=medium]I'll put the CSP2 on my list.[/size]

[size=medium]Deep Funk,[/size]

[size=medium]Yes, the simple approach is one I've considered... The "sound card" in my machine at work is in fact an on-the-motherboard device, so nothing special; its performance does not impress me. This is why I was looking to get around it via a USB DAC; also because I already have one. Too bad it doesn't have a headphpone out and a volume control.[/size]

[size=medium]Which leads me to consider giving Wavelength more of my money and buying a Proton (small portable USB DAC with 1/8" headphone out, volume control), in which case pairing it with more serious phones might be a waste. [/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]In all cases involving a USB DAC, s[size=small]ince it would be running with a Windows machine, I'd have to deal with getting around the Kmixer. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=medium]If I thought I could get away with it, I'd also consider driving headphones via a spare tube/hybrid preamp currently sitting on the shelf; it has no headphone output, so I'd have to use an adaptor. I'm not at all sure it has enough power, or would even work... This is a very good preamp, and I'm sort afraid to even try it to be honest, but if it did work and sounded good it would save me some cash.[/size]

[size=medium]To be continued...[/size]

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 7
The Woo 6SE/6 in that case in TC and so is the 5LE.  I would actually call Decware, he has always helpful over the phone and would be willing to talk with you over any worries. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back