Help with my Shure SE215s
May 12, 2011 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hydrophoenix

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker here.

I just bought a pair of SE215s today, I just have 1 or 2 quick questions for you guys.

1. How the HELL am I supposed to remove the tips on these? The instructions say twist and pull but they won't even "twist"!

2. How do these sound with a Fiio E5?

Thank you very much.
-Andre

May 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 11
foams-either sharp twist. Or if it's really tight, you get your finger nail onto the solid plastic sleeve and then pull it off (Don't pull by the foam-you could damage it/remove it from the plastic)

May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for the replies.

I still have not been able to take them off and I've been trying for like 2 hours now.
The foam tip is already starting to come off of the plastic.. Should I really just pull from the plastic "edge" at the bottom? Is there no actual twisting required?

May 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Compress and twist off. Don't try to pull it off by the little plastic tube, your finger might slip and you can rip part of the foam from the tube. If it helps, you can wrap the foam tip in a tissue or your sleeve or something and then compress and twist. More surface area contact than your fingers...

In terms of tips, it really depends on your ears and preference. A lot of people here like the foam tips, personally I found them to be too bothersome and time consuming to put in. I use the triple flange (white ones) with some slight modifications, works better for me, but that can be because my ear canals are a bit weird.

May 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Seems that all new Shure IEMs have that problem. Heard about it numerous times already.
Apparently, this is caused by the temperature difference between the temperature in their  warehouse and the "normal" temperature.

They recommend putting it in the freezer for 30 min or so and then try again.
Otherwise it's unlikely to get them off without destroying them.

May 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Seems that all new Shure IEMs have that problem. Heard about it numerous times already.
Apparently, this is caused by the temperature difference between the temperature in their  warehouse and the "normal" temperature.

They recommend putting it in the freezer for 30 min or so and then try again.
Otherwise it's unlikely to get them off without destroying them.

Ahhh! Thank you very much for that information, that's very good to know.

May 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 11
Don't put them in the freezer for 30 minutes!!

Put them in a zip lock bag, suck the air out of it, then put them in a freezer for 3-4 minutes only.  The foams will harden - and then you can carefully twist them off.  They do come off a lot easier - and you won't destroy them.

The reason I say NO to 30 minutes - that amount of time you could freeze something inside the drivers. 3-4 minutes will do the trick.  I use this method for my 425's.

May 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Don't put them in the freezer for 30 minutes!!

Put them in a zip lock bag, suck the air out of it, then put them in a freezer for 3-4 minutes only.  The foams will harden - and then you can carefully twist them off.  They do come off a lot easier - and you won't destroy them.

The reason I say NO to 30 minutes - that amount of time you could freeze something inside the drivers. 3-4 minutes will do the trick.  I use this method for my 425's.

Ok, you're right, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned a specific time.
I would've been more careful with my estimation but the OP already seemed to have solved the problem back then anyway.
Just wanted to share the info.

So let me try again:
Only put them in there long enough for the tips to harden - not till the IEM is frozen!
tongue_smile.gif

May 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Weird, it didn't take much pulling and tugging to get my tips off, but my friend had a really hard time getting his tips off his 315's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back