Help with headphone choice
Jun 17, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
Hello and welcome to my first post.

Been reading several posts and I have realized that my Sennheiser HD 570 headphones are not that well regarded.

Sure they sounded way better than the generic headphones that I had, but I realize that the difference in sonic quality can be greatly improved.

I have been reading and think that I will get either the Sont CD3000 or the Alessandro (most likely my spelling is off) First series ($99) or the seond tier ($299).

I generally listen to all sorts of music from rock, rap, country and classic. I even enjoy watching movies with the sound via headphones. I like the "coccoon" effect that headphones create. I listen to CDs, MP3s and whatever through it.

Driving my headphones I have a hand made PIMETA (made by Ivan, not me). All signals are digital into my DAC and then into the PIMETA.

The catch is that there I have to get them un heard. What do you guys recommend?

If not these two choices then I am open to others as well. But if between these choices?

Liver.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Out of your choices, I think the CD3Ks are the most coccoon-like, but with your amp, maybe the Alessandros are best. CD3K may be overkill. As for the MS1 or MS2, can't say.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 9
For listening to movies, I prefer the CD3000 over the other 'phones I have. For semi-closed cans, the soundstage is HUGE! Also, they're not too shabby with general music as well. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 9
All suggestions help.

Overkill? Overkill? That is just another reason to upgrade! Really though, I think that you may be right about the Sony's being in a class of their own in regards to my amplifier.

I have found an Internet reseller that has a trial period for the Sony's, so I may be doing that. Best demo is in home demo.

Thanks.

Liver.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 9
From what I've read the CD3000s and Grados are either hit or miss. There are a large number of people that feel that the CD3000s are too bright, and that grado based phones are bright and uncomfortable. $300-400 seems like a lot of money to gamble with, if you can't arrange an audition I would suggest you go with a more nuetral pair of cans at first so you aren't stuck with something you don't like. You may want to persue a pair of K501s, they are $125 on Ebay and aren't as polarizing as the other two phones you're considering.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 9
As long as you don't mind spending the extra bucks, I would go for the Sony CD3000. From someone who is use to listening to such comfortable headphones as the HD570, you may have transition problems upgrading to a sony CD3000.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 9
It depends if you interpret the CD3Ks highs as detailed or bright. Personally I find them detailed, but that's just me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
As long as you don't mind spending the extra bucks, I would go for the Sony CD3000. From someone who is use to listening to such comfortable headphones as the HD570, you may have transition problems upgrading to a sony CD3000.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me - go for the CD3K, but you might have transition problems because of comfort? The CD3Ks are very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back