[HELP WITH FINAL DECISION] Sennheiser HD 600 vs Fidelio X1
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ratto

New Head-Fier
Good morning,

Last month, I got suggested to look Fidelio X1 as an option. After reading several reviews, I really liked what I saw but I'm still between the HD 600 (http://www.accessoryjack.com/sennheiser-hd600-open-dynamic-hifi-professional-headphones.html) and X1 (http :/ / www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00B3QD94O).
Basically I'll use it at home mainly for music (Rock, Electronics, Metal, Jazz and Blues) and games. The amp I will use is a FiiO E17 (http://www.amazon.com/FIIO-E17-Alpen-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW).
I also heard that Fidelio X1 has problems with the cable impedance, if someone can suggest me a good replacement cable in case I end up buying it, I will be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 13
A few months back I was deciding between both these headphones myself (note: at the time I had no way of testing either of them) - in the end I went with the hd600 as the consensus was that it scales considerably higher with better equipment than the x1 :) so if you're thinking of upgrading later on the hd600 may help to future proof

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 13
  First of all, thanks for replying.

What about a good cable replacement for it? Can u suggest me one? After watching Tyll review i got really woried about the stock ones.

a friend of mine did for me a Mogami 2893 cable, just perfect.
you should look on eBay or in the Head-fi trade forum.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 13
This is what I use with my X1:

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

These X1's have really surprised me. I love them and as mentioned, they don't need much in the way of amping (which having spent thousands on amps in the past, doesn't bother me :thumbsup:)

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm driving my Fidelio X1 with an audioquest dragonfly and to my untrained ears it sounds pretty good. Not sure about vocals when watching movies, doesn't sound 100% natural, a bit too much emphasis in the low end IMO. 

I've read that if you go with the HD600, you really should get a bottlehead crack to get the most out of it. This combo, adding in a decent DAC, would cost twice as much as my current setup. I'd be interested in reading any comparisons of this combination with the X1 and whether or not the extra costs are justified. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 13
Just want to mention that one possible caveat regarding the Fidelio X1's  would be that the pad below the headband that contacts your head is connected at each end by elastic material. I used to own an AKG K340 electrostat headphone that also used elastics to control the fit adjustment, and these elastic "bands" weakened and stretched out over time rendering the phone way to loose and low sitting on my ears. Now I'm not saying that the Fidelio's will definitely have the same problem but I am just cautioning you about the future potential possibility of it.

I also own the Senn HD600 which I love, and no potential problem with them, as no elastic used in the construction, therefore the HD600's get my vote!

Cheers!

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 13
I've owned the X1 (with Audioquest Dragonfly) for 3 months and the HD600 (with FiiO E7/E9 combo) for 1 week. My impression so far are that both headphones are at a similar level and have extremely different strengths and weaknesses. I can't say one is clearly better than the other, it really depends what qualities you value most and what music you listen to.

X1

Advantages: amazing soundstage and bass. Extremely comfortable ear pads. Much more of a visceral experience than HD600 (i.e. you can feel the music more).
Disadvantages: a bit heavy, not natural sounding.

Good for: Action movies, Jazz, pop/R&B, rap, reggae acoustic.
Not recommended for: Rock (fast tracks).

HD600

Advantages: Frequency response is balanced so it sounds more natural than the X1. Bass (IMO) is not lacking, I find it's tighter (not boomy) compared to X1 (this can be good or bad depending on what you're listening to). Lighter than X1.
Disadvantages: Ear pads not as comfortable as X1. Lacking soundstage compared to X1.

Good for: Classical , better than X1 for rock.
Not recommended for: I think it does most genres reasonable well but not as much wow factor as X1 IMO.

Personally I prefer the X1 but the HD600 is supposed to scale well with better DAC/amps and my listening has been exclusively on the budget E7/E9 combo.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 13
This one is easy for me. HD 600 over the X1 at almost any time. Why? Because everyone should own or have extensive experience with the HD 600 or HD 650. It's referenced a billion times over in this community and is used as a baseline for many comparisons. It's a can I didn't get to until going through four or five other cans and I'm happy I did because it's just beautiful. Furthermore, I'm not a basshead and the X1 is definitely the open can for bassheads. The HD 600 is warm, but definitely closer to neutral and not anywhere as colored as an X1.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 13
Can someone compare the midranges of the two.
Which is more clear, transparent, more resolving, and more detailed?
Also, if I use a decent amp (like the e12) and increase the sub-bass of the hd600 with a good equalizer then will I get a nice tight slamming bass (similar to denon d2000)?

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 13
I found the mid range of the HD600 to be superior and probably the highlight of the headphone. The mids of the X1 seemed a bit recessed IMO. I never tried to EQ the HD600, sure it lacked visceral bass and that's one of the reasons I don't own it any more but the bass is still present just not dominant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back