Help with desktop amp under $1000 for HP2 (HP1000)
Mar 26, 2009 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tamahome77

1000+ Head-Fier
I find that tube amps are just too warm, laid back, and maybe a bit veiled for the Grado HP2. I need some solid state amps that will bring the forwardness and clarity out of the HP2 and also have great synergy with them as well. Tried it out with the Hornet M and sounded much better but maybe a more powerful desktop amp will do better justice.

I was thinking something along the line the Gilmore Lite or the GS1. I've read the Gilmore lite is a neutral amp. I don't think want an amp that will make the HP2 too neutral though. Any suggestion is appreciated.
redface.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 7
The SHA-gold sounds fantastic with grados, and they can often be found for under $1000. Check your PMs.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Melos X3 - it was designed for the HP-1000 and happens to be a very very good pre-amp as well.

It's a hybrid and has tubes, but they aren't very hot and will last forever. You don't even see them, so there is no reason to need a full solid state amp.

Here's an older review from Stereophile of this combo

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 7
One problem I see in the recommendations above - the O.P. asked about a desktop amp. To my mind the Melos is a rack-sized amp.. OTOH there is always the orig. Joe Grado HPA-1 (there were also, IIRC, 2 or 3 HPA-2 built, which is a slightly modded version of HPA-1)........I'm in the midst of a personal debate on selling my HPA-1. Not sure what I'm going to do as I've got 5 different amps sitting on my desk to cover my HP-2, RS-1, plus other headphones.
Oops, not quite correct - 4 on the desk, and one sitting on my scanner. Still, the Melos Sha was best when Maestrobated by Carlos (wherever he is today). Yes, Joe started with the idea of using the Melos, then built the HPA series in conjunction with xxx (temporarily forgot his name) from Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back