Help With Custom Built IEM... Problem the Sound Is Terrible With 33A007 and High Armature.
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 19
  As OP of the http://www.head-fi.org/t/604851/chart-balanced-armature-based-in-ear-monitors-technical-characteristics thread, I want to warn that the chart doesn't make it open season for anyone to poke around their IEMs and make changes on a whim. It takes a lot of reading and experience to know what goes on with crossovers and tubing resonances. I've read a lot, but because I have zero experience making CIEMs myself, I can't even say definitively whether something will sound one way or another.

Opening up a custom shell and changing stuff is actually pretty labor intensive, and is almost equal to doing a whole new CIEM. That's why it costs so much.
 ​
 ​
If you like the W4, get a W4.​

From what you have, I can suggest the following for a prototypical stage monitor response, but there will be no guarantees that it'll sound good to you:

High Driver (Sonion 2323, 2389, 2354, assuming you have one of these): 1 uF capacitor in series, 1500 ohm damper (green), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing
Low Driver (Sonion 33A007): parallel hookup (for the two drivers), 10 ohm resistor in series, 4700 ohm damper (yellow), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing

Hi @tomscy2000  Thanks so much for your reply. I have invested so much into the CIEMS I don't want to loose that and would rather just make it right. With the configuration you gave (prototypical stage monitor response) what armature(a) and their configuration like below would you would you add to my CIEM make the sound more full. I noticed Inearz makes a Unit like the Westone 4R with 4 armatures (see below) and I would like to replicate that with my existing Sonion 33A007 drivers. I don't see the Inearz CIEMs on your chart?? Again many thanks at least your giving me something to tell the guy who made them and I am learning something as well. 

Input sensitivity 119dB@1mw, Integrated 3 way crossover, Quad Balanced armature drivers, 2 low 1 mid and 1 high, Impedance 20 Ohm, Noise Isolation -26dB, Input connecter 1/8″ 3.5mm Gold plated, Dual bore, Frequency response 20Hz to 17KHz

Would it be...

*Adding a (mid driver) - CI22955;r (mid driver) - DTEC-30265-000; TWFK (FK)

High Driver (Sonion 2323, 2389, 2354, assuming you have one of these): 1 uF capacitor in series, 1500 ohm damper (green), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing
Mid Driver __________________________________________________________________in series, 4700 ohm damper (yellow), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing
Low Driver (Sonion 33A007): parallel hookup (for the two drivers), 10 ohm resistor in series, 4700 ohm damper (yellow), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing

or 

*Adding a (low driver) -  33A007 (modified by UM to vented + custom damping); Sonion 38AM; CI22955

Mid Driver (Sonion 33A007): parallel hookup (for the two drivers), 10 ohm resistor in series, 4700 ohm damper (yellow), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing
Low Driver  __________________________________________________________________in series, 4700 ohm damper (yellow), 12mm x 2mm ID tubing

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 19
Seriously, I think you should stop altogether with this. We all make mistakes everytime. There's a good reason companies charge so much for their top of the line models. Now you know why. Not trying to be pessimistic but there's no easy route to replicating a W4 without spending lots of money and time. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 19
  Hi @tomscy2000  Thanks so much for your reply. I have invested so much into the CIEMS I don't want to loose that and would rather just make it right. With the configuration you gave (prototypical stage monitor response) what armature(a) and their configuration like below would you would you add to my CIEM make the sound more full. I noticed Inearz makes a Unit like the Westone 4R with 4 armatures (see below) and I would like to replicate that with my existing Sonion 33A007 drivers. I don't see the Inearz CIEMs on your chart?? Again many thanks at least your giving me something to tell the guy who made them and I am learning something as well.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't just list out random earphones because honestly, the drivers used don't have absolute bearing over how something sounds. Like I mentioned before, it's the crossover and the tubing that is much more important. I gave you a formula to use with what I presume are the drivers used in your model, and I'd suggest you try that.

If the results aren't to your liking, then please abandon this project, or at least put it on hold indefinitely, until you properly learn how custom IEMs are designed, tuned, and crafted. The DIY forum has this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems, which is over 100 pages long. I'd suggest you read that thread from beginning to end before trying to make any alterations at all.

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 19

I'd appreciate it if you didn't just list out random earphones because honestly, the drivers used don't have absolute bearing over how something sounds. Like I mentioned before, it's the crossover and the tubing that is much more important. I gave you a formula to use with what I presume are the drivers used in your model, and I'd suggest you try that.

If the results aren't to your liking, then please abandon this project, or at least put it on hold indefinitely, until you properly learn how custom IEMs are designed, tuned, and crafted. The DIY forum has this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems, which is over 100 pages long. I'd suggest you read that thread from beginning to end before trying to make any alterations at all.

I will send a private message to respond to this... but I wanted to personally thank you for your great advice and amazing list. You tried to help me and I am very grateful for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back