Help with connecting an ipod to an external amp/dac
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dankthropod

New Head-Fier
Hello kind people of head-fi! I have been lurking for several months and decided to create an account. But I have a question for all of you ipod lovers in here, I want to make an all-mighty SUPER-POD. I want to basically connect my 5th gen ipod to an ifi xdsd gryphon. How would I do that? Should I connect it with the 30 pin or the 3.5mm jack? Is the dac in the ipod good enough? Will the shady adapters I find on alibaba for 30 pin male to usb c male damage the audio quality? I'd mostly be using apple losless and FLACs, will these shady adapters ruin the quality? As you can see, I am really lost, so advice of any kind is welcome.

Here is a diagram of the ifi xdsd in case you are not familiar with it:
download.jpg

PS: I've seen some people with really cool DAP combos, but I also want to know where they get the cool rubber bands to hold everything together.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 7
You'll need a custom made LOD Cable for example from 30 Pin to USB C or even the other Inputs (Jack Plugs). Or there are some trustworthy cables left on the market. Hard to find a good cable these days, if it is not made by a cable builder.

I'd go with USB C.

I used a LOD Cable 30 Pin to USB in the past with an Oppo HA2SE with no problem. I also got a DAC to 30 Pin Mod to use Amp's only.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello kind people of head-fi! I have been lurking for several months and decided to create an account. But I have a question for all of you ipod lovers in here, I want to make an all-mighty SUPER-POD. I want to basically connect my 5th gen ipod to an ifi xdsd gryphon. How would I do that? Should I connect it with the 30 pin or the 3.5mm jack?

If you connect via 3.5mm on the iPod to 3.5mm on the Gryphon, you won't be utilizing the Gryphon's DAC and you'd be running the signal through the iPod's headphone amp chip.

If you connect via 30pin dock (iPod end) to 3.5mm (Gryphon end) ie line out, you skip the driver chip on the iPod and you'll get a cleaner 1.2V analogue signal into the Gryphon. So yeah...you also won't be using the Gryphon's DAC. But this is what I'd do if I really have to use the iPod.

Is the dac in the ipod good enough?

Is the signal clean? Yes.

Is it proper 2V line voltage? No, only 1.2V.

Is that a problem? Depends on what it's hooked up to - if the amp that signal is going to has to strain to compensate for the lower voltage, then no. But if the amp has low enough noise and high enough power and gain for whatever it's driving, then it's not a problem.

I can't tell you specifically if the Gryphon will have zero issues even on particular headphones though. At best, given a high enough sensitivity, it shouldn't.

Will the shady adapters I find on alibaba for 30 pin male to usb c male damage the audio quality? I'd mostly be using apple losless and FLACs, will these shady adapters ruin the quality? As you can see, I am really lost, so advice of any kind is welcome.

I'm not even sure those will work for digital audio transmission, which doesn't use the same protocol (probably not even the same pins) as the data when just transferring files, because iPods don't just stream digital audio out of that port unless there's a chip in the other device that would basically tell the iPod to start doing that. This is why people using them as digital servers had to get those "Made for iPod" docks* or DAC-HPamps.

*like the Wadia 170i : https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/1008wad/index.html

PS: I've seen some people with really cool DAP combos, but I also want to know where they get the cool rubber bands to hold everything together.

I fought cancer while strapping my iPod to a CMOY before but I don't know if you can still get these because performance-enhancing drugs.
1648735707784.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you all for your comments! You helped me a lot. I will be checking out the custom cables and see if there are ones of ebay already made. Cheers to everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back