Help with choosing an amp + dac for full size and iems?
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LiteKirby

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

So currently, I've got a FiiO e7/e9 combo which I use with my Sennheiser HD600s, but lately I've been feeling like maybe they could use a tiny bit more... Something. That said, I've been looking into a new setup, as I rather enjoy my headphones and don't want to change them. Plus, if I do ever upgrade, I'd love to have the setup before instead of looking for one after.

The two I'm looking at are the Schiit Magni/Modi stack and the JDS Labs o2+odac. Currently the MM stack leads as I've read it's very similar to the o2 but cheaper, however the higher gain somewhat worries me as I also want to use this setup with my JH11s too, and the o2 variable gain is a plus.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them! Buying used isn't a problem, I've already had a positive experience both buying and selling on here so that's fine. I'd say my budget is around 600 but the cheaper the better. No tube amps please I don't think I could handle replacing them and rolling and all that.

Sound wise transparency is what I'm looking for, something that colors the sound as little as possible, if its small that's a bonus though I've got a lot of room on my desk anyway.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Audio-GD NFB-11.32 DAC/Amp, $340+shipping.
Comes with a ES9018 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier that should easily drive your 300-Ohm HD600s
But it has a headphone output impedance of only 2-Ohm, so should work with your IEMs
Comes with USB and S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1132/NFB11.32EN.htm

I've been using the cheaper NFB-15.32 ($255+shipping) for three weeks, no regrets.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 3
  Audio-GD NFB-11.32 DAC/Amp, $340+shipping.
Comes with a ES9018 DAC chip and a headphone amplifier that should easily drive your 300-Ohm HD600s
But it has a headphone output impedance of only 2-Ohm, so should work with your IEMs
Comes with USB and S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1132/NFB11.32EN.htm

I've been using the cheaper NFB-15.32 ($255+shipping) for three weeks, no regrets.

I've been looking into Audio-GDs stuff, and it seems fairly well received. I'll definitely consider it, thanks!

Any other suggestions guys? With Black Friday coming around, I'm hoping for a few sales to hit or something.

Once again, looking for a new DAC and Amp, it can be one unit or separate, I'd highly prefer a solid state amp over a tube amp, and my budget's around $600, but the cheaper the better. Used is fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back