Help with choosing a headphone! Looking at HFI-580
Oct 15, 2010 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

neato

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. Newbie here. So this is my first time looking to buy a headphone over $100. Also, I've read a lot on the forums, and I know how expensive this hobby can get. I don't want to keep buying equipment though (I'm a broke college kid). I want this headphone to be the last one I buy for a while.

I listen to mostly hip hop, jazz, and some electronic. I'll be using these on my ipod and laptop. Also, I don't want to buy an amp, so it has to be easy to drive.

So basically, I want good bass. That's really important. BUT, that does not mean I don't care about anything else. I still want clear mids. Highs can roll off a bit. I'm kind of sensitive to highs. I know that to some people hip hop might not warrant the best or even good SQ. I don't agree with that. If you do, then I guess just keep in mind that I listen to jazz too.

I've only had experience with the HD428 and the ATH-SQ5.

I like the HD428. I found it pretty clear. The highs were a bit soft, so to me it was a very comfortable sound. I just wasn't happy with the bass at all. Also, I thought the clamping was too loose.

The ATH-SQ5 is ok. I bought it for something more portable. The bass is better, but still not what I want. Also, I felt the HD428 had clearer and punchier bass. The sound is a bit plastic-y too.

I've been reading about the M50 for quite some time, and I was thinking of getting them soon. But recently I heard that the newer models aren't that great. So right now I'm looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580. Is that a good pick? I've also heard good things about the DT-770. I'm not looking to spend over $200. Preferably no more than $150.

redface.gif
Sorry for the long post. I just really want to get the right one.

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Nothing wrong with the M50s really. I bought mine this year and never had any problems. They're not my kind of headphone, but they're still very good. I'd definitely just get those based on the music you listen to.

To my ears the M50 sounds far better then the HFI-680 (supposed to sound like the HFI-580 I guess) and DT-770 32 ohm. The DT-770 seemed to have better controlled bass then the M50, but maybe not as much. I didn't compare them side by side. Since vocals are my most important thing, I found the vocals far better on the M50.

I sold my M50 about a month ago due to wanting a few things done better. I ended up with the k240 Studio and like it a lot. It seems to work well with every type of music and has a decent amount of bass. VERY well controlled bass to me. They're only $99 and actually sound good out of my Ipod Touch, but maybe not with say a shuffle or fuze. They're 55 ohms.

BTW k240 and M50 are very non-fatiguing headphones. The k240 is more comfortable since it's super light and has no clamping force. The M50 is more portable though. k240 doesn't fold up or anything.

I also love the Maxell DHP-II. They have a lot of bass, but every time I suggest them people see "Maxell" and "$30" and run far away! People really need to give them a try. DHP-II does almost everything right. I think they have the same driver as my favorite DJ100 (that I can't suggest due to your requirements).

HD-555 has a decent amount of bass, but nothing special. I guess some may even call them bass light. These days the only reason to get them would be that they're open, sound fairly good, are very comfortable and cheap. IMO you can do better for the price.

EDIT: Another one you can look into is the SRH-750DJ. It's cheaper and the mids are probably more forward then the M50. They also have more bass, but to me they were not better. It depends on what you like. Almost everyone on here seems to love them. The highs were too piercing to me, so that may be an issue. They also are VERY bass heavy. The sound drove me crazy, but maybe I just like more neutral headphones. They definitely aren't neutral!

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the input! I've read a lot of different things about the M50. I've read it can be a pretty neutral phone. I've also read that some people find the bass too much. Also, with the newer model, I've read that its pretty strong in the highs. That kind of pushes away. What didn't you like about them? How were they better than the HFI-680 and DT-770?

I forgot to mention, I need closed headphones. I'll be using these in the library.

I've also read about the SRH-750DJ. But I read that it's kind of uncomfortable, and the highs are a little much.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I've read a lot of different things about the M50. I've read it can be a pretty neutral phone. I've also read that some people find the bass too much. Also, with the newer model, I've read that its pretty strong in the highs. That kind of pushes away. What didn't you like about them? How were they better than the HFI-680 and DT-770?

I forgot to mention, I need closed headphones. I'll be using these in the library.

I've also read about the SRH-750DJ. But I read that it's kind of uncomfortable, and the highs are a little much.

Never found the highs harsh or fatiguing at all ever, so maybe I got a good pair. My issues with the M50 are basically nit-picking and they're not as bad as they sound. I felt like vocals were slightly more recessed then i'd like. Nothing too bad really. I could have accepted this without any problems if they had a little less bass. My main focus is on the vocals and then everything else comes next. I also felt the soundstage was fairly bad, even for a closed headphone. The overall level of detail was good, but not great. Again, they're very good, but never really impressed me. Of course I was coming from the SRH-840. I had to pick between the two and went with the M50 and gave up a little bit of sound quality for more comfort. Sometimes the bass seemed to show up when it felt like it wasn't supposed to be there. At times I was thinking..why is there so much bass in my Cantopop?!

HFI-680 kind of impressed me in many ways. I absolutely loved the bass on them (more then the M50!) and it seemed well controlled and not too boomy. I wish I could find another headphone with the same amount of bass. The main reason I got rid of them is that they were not comfortable to me at all, the soundstage just seemed strange and not accurate and the mids were too recessed for me. Vocals were just not clear and a little hard to hear. The M50 was much better in this area. I liked many things about the HFI-680 and want to give Ultrasone headphones another try in the future. Maybe the 2500 is worth trying. After I tried the HFI-680 I got the ESW9a and those were even worse. Probably my least favorite headphone right behind the 325i.

DT-770 is just not my thing. I got the 32 ohm version and thought that there would be massive amounts of bass. Definitely not! It almost seems like it's one of the most neutral beyer headphones. The bass was there, but well controlled, even more so then the M50 it seemed like. It only failed for me because vocals also seemed a bit un-natural and almost metallic sounding, however that is possible. They were actually much harder to drive then I expected! I don't remember the mids being recessed that much, but maybe a little.

M50 does most everything well. For vocal quality the M50 is better to me then both of the above. I still wouldn't suggest someone to buy an M50 if vocals were the most important thing.

Yeah, I absolutely hated the SRH-750DJ. Everything about them drove my crazy. The highs were unbearable for me.

Can you audition the SRH-840 in a store? They're not bass heavy, but they have more then enough bass for most music. For some people they may be a good fit. SRH-840 has some of the best sound quality there is. They're very good with electronic music too as long as it's not very bass heavy. This is yet another headphone where I don't understand how people can call it bass light.

I still think the M50 may be your best bet, especially for the price.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Ok, maybe I gave up on the M50 to quick. I think the nearest audio store with headphones is like an hour away, and I have no car 
frown.gif
. Thanks again for your input! You're giving a lot of specific information. I really appreciate it.

Anyone else? I'd like to get more opinions.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Still looking for more opinions here. I'm leaning towards the M50 a bit, but I'd like to hear from some HFI-580 owners.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Alright, last bump for this. If no one else replies I think I'll just jump on the M50's next paycheck.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 11
I had the 580s for a while (just recently sold them) and I loved them for hip-hop, rock, techno, electronic, and even movies/gaming.  I powered these right out of my Macbook Pro and iMac.  The bass was great and had the ability to get low and not get muddy.  Some people say Ultrasones can be "slow", but I loved them with Metal/Metalcore; kickdrums sounded especially good.  I would still have them if this upgraditis urge wasn't so strong.  

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Are the 580's along the same lines as tdockweiler's description of the 680's? I read that the highs can be piercing. Is that true? Is there anything you didn't like about them?

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I did not find the highs piercing, but they definitely weren't recessed.  There wasn't much I didn't like, except that they might be a bit clamping for those with bigger heads.  Sound-wise they were great, especially for the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back