Help with American Government
Dec 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some questions that I can not find in my notes/in the textbook/online for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

-A business established by government that performs functions that could be provided by the private sector is ().

-What is the hiring process for a low-level federal civilian employee?

-() prepares the president’s budget request.

-A quasi-judicial process in which a bureaucratic agency settles disputes between two parties is called ().

-Explain iron triangle and issue network

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-A business established by government that performs functions that could be provided by the private sector is ( ).

-What is the hiring process for a low-level federal civilian employee?

-( ) prepares the president’s budget request.

-A quasi-judicial process in which a bureaucratic agency settles disputes between two parties is called ( ).

-Explain iron triangle and issue network

A GSE, government sponsored enterprise. Like Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

This could be referring to civil service exams. You'll see them for the post office, various agencies, etc. You usually have to go through the regular interviews, background checks, et al., as well.

I believe the GAO (Government Accountability Office) prepares the President's budget requests.

There's a whole section of law that deals with administrative decisions. Federal law allows agencies to set up hearings presided over by an ALJ, or an administrative law judge. An ALJ is usually a lawyer, often appointed, who makes rulings on the agency's policies. An ALJ's decision can usually be appealed to one of the lower courts.

The iron triangle is the process of developing new legislation and policies between Congress, interest groups and the existing government agencies/bureaucracy. An issue network is an alliance of groups and government officials/bureaucrats to push through legislation/policy on a particular issue.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 12
^ This. Uncle Erik speaks the truth.

To clarify though. The civil service and civil service exams no longer exist. Yes the broadest category of the federal workforce is the civilian service that is now known as competitive service. Tests are independent to each agency, or service (USPS is not and agency of the government, but a self supporting service). Hiring practices are defined in three categories of federal law; Title 5 of the USC.

Current hiring for all Federal jobs; with the exception of excepted service jobs, which are those outlined in Title 5 is solely done through USAJOBS.gov.

USAJOBS -

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 12
if anyone wants the answers, i found them. they were:

-GSE
-civil service exam
-OBM
-administrative adjudication
-iron triangle is congress, bureaucracy and interest groups working together.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if anyone wants the answers, i found them. they were:

-civil service exam - probably right in terms of question, but doesn't exist.-

OBM -> OMB - Office of Management and Budget

Missed the OMB one on Uncle Erik's response.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 12
Ohhh... I see now... the title was misleading...
wink.gif

I was about to just simply post, "It's desperately needed", and be done with it.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back