Help! Which one gives the best bang for the buck?
Feb 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ttnl

100+ Head-Fier
Please help me to find the best headphone for the money. A poor student in a bad economy, I am a little hesitant to spend a lot of money on headphones I never have a chance to try before buying. I listen to a wide variety of music genre. I also just bought a Starving Student amp. So please give your opinion. Thanks.

Grado SR225 at $150 (used)
AKG K701 at $200 (used)
Sennheiser HD600 at $250 (brand new)
Sennheiser HD650 aat $320 (brand new)

PS: hi guys, please don't go too far off topic. To people who commented about poor student and $300 headphone, I am not sure about your intention, but I think it is not very constructive to the topic. You guys don't know anything about me, so please don't assume anything, The reason I open this topic is because I don't have a lot of money to spend on the headphones, and I want the best one for my money. Then I will be set for a long time. I have to cut back on other expenses just to get a pair of good can. So, no hate please.
BTW, I am a grad student, so my loan is more generous than undergrad financial aid.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 19
Denon D2000, good all rounder, doesn't absolutely necessitate an amp like the K701/HD600/650. The 225's also give great bang for the buck but they're slightly more genre specific.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wham City /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000, good all rounder, doesn't absolutely necessitate an amp like the K701/HD600/650. The 225's also give great bang for the buck but they're slightly more genre specific.

x2 on the 225s best bang for your buck.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 19
The SR-225, if you're going to listen to rock and similar genres without an external amp. If you're willing to buy an amp, then the HD-600 is one of the best you can buy, regardless of price.

The K-701 is OK. It's popularity is mostly because it's the least expensive "flagship" headphone from one of the big manufacturers. It's difficult (and expensive) to amp correctly, and even then it's not quite as good as good as the other three.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 19
Any student who is contemplating spending $300 on headphones isn't exactly "poor"!

Waiting for generic mac 'n cheese to go on sale at 4/$1 and cutting up wieners in ramen as a "special treat" is how "poor students" live...

tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 19
Of the four choices you have shown, I would say that the grados are the only ones that won't absolutely require you to buy a good powerful amp as well.
The Denon 2000's are out of your price range.
I will soon be buying a pair of Fostex so for the moment I'm intrigued by them but can't give a opinion.

EDIT:
Sorry, I was thinking of the 500.00 Denon AHD5000's so you could pick up some 2000's in your price range. I have the 5000's and they are my favorite all around cans.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any student who is contemplating spending $300 on headphones isn't exactly "poor"!

Waiting for generic mac 'n cheese to go on sale at 4/$1 and cutting up wieners in ramen as a "special treat" is how "poor students" live...

tongue.gif

Amen to that.

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 19
After having my main college rig (see my sig) for awhile, I do wish I had a rig that was centered around the HD600 now. Listening to jazz and artists like Alison Krauss just fail to have that weight, body, and magic. Also, the extended highs do grate on your ears after awhile.

My vote definitely goes to the HD600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 19
As a regular college student who doesn't have a part-time job yet, how do you guys earn money (besides begging your parents for money)? I can't have a job because that would affect my financial aid status.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a regular college student who doesn't have a part-time job yet, how do you guys earn money (besides begging your parents for money)? I can't have a job because that would affect my financial aid status.

NZ government = max NZ$155 p/week student allowance.
That really isn't enough for most people so a lot of students do part-time work.
You can earn up to NZ$180 p/week before it starts affecting the allowance amount.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

small side jobs for cash! (eg. baby sit/fix stuff)

or if you have some money laying around, buy/sell slickdeals stuff haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back