Help! Which IEM has more detail & clarity w/ good bass and comfortable
Oct 26, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schweiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that burn-in on BA's like the X10 is not required. However, I won't claim to be an authority on the matter.

I'm very interested in hearing a comparison between the X10 and S4. Specifically on instrument separation, bass extension and quantity.

I did a comparison on klipsch forums. I'm going to paste what I wrote there.

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far I have spent one full day with the X10. Some people say burn-in is a myth, but I don't think so. Maybe it's my ears adjusting, or maybe it's the earphones diaphragm settling in. I'm not sure how all that works, but I can say I've noticed a difference from first listen to 24 hours later with continuous burn-in.

I used the medium tips that are already packaged with it. I tried a variety of them, and the regular medium tips were the most comfortable. The bi-flanges are too uncomfortable in my ear.

First Listen My source was my iPhone 3GS with all music formatted in Apple Lossless. I was listening to Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Acoustic & Live performances. I wasn't very impressed with them. They reminded me of the Shure SE530. Highs seemed a bit rolled off, and they didn't have that clarity that I like. The soundstage didn't seem that great either. I enjoyed my Image S4's much more.

Second Listen My source was my Apple Mac Pro tower playing with all music formatted in Apple Lossless. I was listening to Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Acoustic & Live performances. I had the X10 plugged into my Apogee Duet headphone amplifier. WOW, big difference in sound. The apogee duet is extremely bright in nature. So it made the X10's a little too bright, but it increased the width of the sound stage.

Almost 24 Hours Later I'm still using the Mac Pro and Apogee Duet combination, and listening as I type this novice review/impression. The soundstage seems to have improved, and detail is more apparent. They are really starting to bloom. I don't find these to be overly bassy at all, but just right. Although, I'm still not getting the crisp clarity I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, they are still very detailed. The bass does not seem to veil the detail; but the detail seems a bit rolled off. I'm not feeling that click-ity warmish "shrill" vibration when an acoustic guitar is being strum, that gets me that ear-gasim that I get with full sized Grado headphones. To really enjoy the X10 optimally, you need a headphone amp.

So far, straight out of the iPhone 3GS, I enjoy the S4i much more. It has a thick boomy bass, but it still perserves a decent amount of clarity in the details. The S4 is not more detailed than the X10, but the clarity is better on the S4 so far. The S4 has a more fun sound. It will get you moving. But the X10 is slowly growing on me. I really want to try the X5, but the fact that the bass is much less than the X10, has me worried, because I find the X10's bass just right. Anything less may seem a bit empty.

One more thing to consider. My apogee duet is an extremely bright amp. So it is somewhat ill suited for the X10. It tends to reduce the bass resposne a bit. I can't really give an accurate thorough impression as far the sound with ampage. The apogee duet is supposed to be an amazing dac; but I have been using the built-in headphone amp to get by while I'm deciding on an amp.

The combination of comfort and sound quality, I would rank the X10 above the Shure SE530. While I know the sound will improve on the X10, I have a feeling the X5 is my calling. It was recommended to me by almost everyone to get the X5, but I got the X10 unused, for significantly less than what the X5 retails for.

I find the S4 /S4i more comfortable and easier to slip in and out of my ear. The sound quality is amazing for the price. You will not find anything better in its class. It is absolultely hands down the best value for your money. And it seems to have a solid build quality to it, as well.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #34 of 34
Get an Etymotic HF5 or HF2 (if you want the mic and the button) They don't have boomy bass, but they are detailed, crisp and accurate unlike the X10's bommy bass and smooth highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back