Help! Which IEM has more detail & clarity w/ good bass and comfortable
Oct 20, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
UPDATE

I found my IEM!!! Ultimate Ears. I picked up the SuperFi 5vi from the Apple Store today, and I'm blown away. I am using them with the soft grey foamies. They are plugged into a LOD adapter directly to my iPhone 3GS. No amp. They sound great. From my Apogee duet they sound amazing! The soundstage is amazing, and 3D like. Instrument separation is superb. It's a crisp clean sound with enough bass. IMO they have the best balance of detail/bass/soundstage. I'm waiting for people to tell me how they compare to the TripleFi 10.

I have to find a portable amp for these. Because although they are directly plugged into my LOD adapter from my iPhone, I have no volume control as a result. So it's a little high. If I plug them in the regular headphone jack of the iPhone, they lose some clarity and a bit of soundstage.

UPDATE

Since this post, I've had the Klipsch X10, and the Etymotic HF5. The X10 is a very nice IEM, but the sound signature is too much like the SE530 (heavily detailed, good bass response, but the details a little rolled off. The X10 has about 30 hours of burn-in from me, but I'm not sure how much was done from the previous owner. The previous owner claims he never used them, even though he opened the box. Who Knows.

The HF5 has more clarity than the X10, and the bass response was not as powerful, but the details were not clear enough for me. The details were a pinch still too rolled for me. I've only burned in about 8 hours, but I'm not sure what kind of improvement to really expect. There is something missing from the hf5. Maybe it is due to the bass, I'm not sure, but there's some kind of weight missing. The sound doesn't seem full. And the slightly rolled off detail isn't enough for me to truly enjoy them.

I'm coming off the Grado sound, and I would like something that comes close to that clarity. I'm not sure how much more clear I can get in IEMs while still getting adequate bass. To me, clarity = realism. I want clarity with full bodied bass. But on the same token, I want a supremely comfortable fit. I just do'nt want something as big as the SE530 or Westone 3, protruding from my ears, making it a difficult project to put them on every time, and wrapping cables around my ears.

I'm now skeptical about the X5, because they say it is similar to the ER4p etymotic. I've heard the X5's detail doesn't quite match ER4p, and that it's detail is a bit rolled off as well. If that's the case, the X5 will not be for me. I'm considering the ER4p, but we'll see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

Can anyone tell me which is more detailed, the Klipsch Image X10 or the X5? Based on my description, which Image would suit me?

• I want crisp, clean detail with good bass. Does the X10's bass veil the other sounds or take away from the detail?
  • I'm not a bass head, but I'd like a good amount of boomy bass as long as it doesn't veil the crisp, clean detail. I don't like rolled off highs, like the Shure SE530's. I don't care what anyone tells me, I had the SE530 for years, and I always found the highs to be rounded.
  • Bass doesn't have to be boomy, but it needs to be present enough to give more depth and feel to the music, without sacraficing clarity and detail too much. I don't want to hear music, and feel something is missing.
  • I want a wide and deep soundstage with dimension.
  • These will mainly be used with my iPhone 3GS w/ Apple Lossless, unamped for now. Later on, I may get an amp for them. I may use these with my Mac Pro tower w/ Apple Lossless in my Apogee Duet amp, but we'll see.
  • I mainly listen to Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, Acoustic and live performances, and Electronic.

I have less than 10 days, from the date of this post, to return my Image S4i's to the Apple Store for a full refund.

Why am I limiting my options to the Klipsch Image you ask? Simple, I just bought the image S4i for $99, and they are extremely comfortable. I think they're wonderful for their price range. They are easy to put in my ear, and I can barely feel them. I can wear them for hours. And I can exercise with them, and they stay in! I don't have to keep poking them further into my ears while sweating and jogging. And of course their sound. The soundstage has dimension, although the instrument separation isn't the greatest, and it can be a touch too boomy/muddy and somewhat veiling. Despite the slight veiling, the detail is prominent. Their over all presentation is amazing for the price. So I imagine the X10 and X5 to be an improvement.

I was initially inclined to get the Westone 3 or um3x, but like the SE530's, I don't want it to be a project to fit in my ear every time. The SE530's were always uncomfortable in my ears, and I had to wrap the cables around my ears twice for them to stay in. As a result, my original se530's cables became corroded and cracked.

I was looking at the etymotic as well, because of their similar shape to the Klipsch, and compatibility with Klipsch gel tips. But too many reviews are referring to their lack of bass. I'm not willing to get an amp for the soul purpose of fulfilling the bass void in the etymotic.

I'm open to your suggestions My number one concern is fit. I would prefer a shape similar to the image x10 or x5, or etymotic er4p/hf5/hf2. I just want something that easily slips in, and stays in, as I will be also jogging with them. I don't want it to be a project finding the perfect seal every time, and wrapping cables around my ears. I'm not interested in getting any kind of ear molding done. I don't want anything as obtrusive as the SE530 or the Westone 3. So if anyone can recommend an earbud that can meet all of these conditions, I'm all ears!

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 34
(updated) I have less than 10 days to return my image s4i! Please, give me your suggestions or advice

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 34
For what it's worth, I have the X5 and I really like them a lot. They are the only Klipsch model I have heard. People say the X10 has more bass but a bit less mid and high end detail. I find the X5 to be very balanced, and the bass is good. I have not heard the big expensive multiple driver IEMs or the IE8 or Atrios, which have bass-heavy reputations, but I can say the bass on the X5 is substantially better than Sleek SA6, Phonak PFE, Q-Jays, and SF.5 Pro.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 34
Thanks for your input, Scott. I wonder how the Image X5 compare so the S4, in terms of bass and overall clarity. I just want to make sure I'm moving forward. The S4 is also extremely low in impedance in contrast with the X5 and X10. What's your source? For now, this is going to be directly played from my iPhone 3GS. I might get a pico slim later.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 34
I also have only heard the X5 and I agree with Scott549's assessment. They are much better than the UM1, E3c, and im716 that I own. I wouldn't want more bass than they have, but then I'm also not a bass head. Most of the headphones I've enjoyed are considered bass light by most people such as the AKG Kx01 series or the MB Quart QP85.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 34
I had the X10s and sold them to keep (and pay for) the S4s. I just prefer the S4 sound sig more. The X10s are BAs, the S5s dynamic. That could be it. But if you are looking to move up, go to the UM3X, not the X10 or X5, in my view.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your input, Scott. I wonder how the Image X5 compare so the S4, in terms of bass and overall clarity. I just want to make sure I'm moving forward. The S4 is also extremely low in impedance in contrast with the X5 and X10. What's your source? For now, this is going to be directly played from my iPhone 3GS. I might get a pico slim later.

iPod Classic, no amp. Plenty of volume for the X5.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 34
In owning most of the major top tier IEMs over the years, the Klipsch X5 have remained with me. Amazing detail, instument separation and most important comfort. They sound wonderful run directly out of my Cowon S9

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the X10s and sold them to keep (and pay for) the S4s. I just prefer the S4 sound sig more. The X10s are BAs, the S5s dynamic. That could be it. But if you are looking to move up, go to the UM3X, not the X10 or X5, in my view.

What do you mean the X10s are BAs? Does "BAs" = Bad Ass? You said the S5's are dynamic? Did you mean the X5s dynamic? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. I'm not sure what you're saying about the X10 or the X5. UM3X is not an option for me, as I don't like the fit. I like Klipsch's supremely comfortable fit and I already like the signature of the S4 - but I want to take it a step further. So can you elaborate on what you were saying about the X10 and the X5. Hows the X5 compared to the S4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In owning most of the major top tier IEMs over the years, the Klipsch X5 have remained with me. Amazing detail, instument separation and most important comfort. They sound wonderful run directly out of my Cowon S9

I'm leaning a bit toward the X5. Have you tried the x10? How do you think they compared?

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 34
I appreciate all of your input, guys. While I keep thinking I'm going to go for the X5, I keep wondering what I'll be missing with the X10. I am seriously frustrated. I'm scared that I might end up with too much bass and not enough detail, or great detail, but not enough bass. One of them has to have the best combination.

I want to hear some good boomy bass, while still hearing the clear crisp detail of an acoustic guitar being strum.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 34
BA is Balanced Armature, for the record. Although, I liked your interpretation. Dynamic means a dynamic driver. A very helpful guide, which I learned from is on Wikipedia! I personally like both my ADDIEMs (BA), and my S4 (Dynamic), although they have very different sound sigs. I've found my ADDIEMs to be bass anemic, but when amped, provide their usual, nice detail, as well as a bit of bass. My S4 are very strong in the bass department, and have a nice soundstage. They are also warm sounding, with a nice soundstage. I enjoy them both, and use them on different occasions (fit plays a big role in which I choose for any given occasion).

If you have any tracks in mind you'd like to test out, at least on the S4, let me know; if I have them, I'll let you know how they sound.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BA is Balanced Armature, for the record. Although, I liked your interpretation.

If you have any tracks in mind you'd like to test out, at least on the S4, let me know; if I have them, I'll let you know how they sound.

Thanks for clearing that up. I acually already have the s4i. So I know how it sounds. I liked them so much that I want to move up the line. Hence the x5/x10.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 34
BA = Balanced Armature drivers...

Oops, was a little late.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

I appreciate all of your input, guys. While I keep thinking I'm going to go for the X5, I keep wondering what I'll be missing with the X10. I am seriously frustrated. I'm scared that I might end up with too much bass and not enough detail, or great detail, but not enough bass. One of them has to have the best combination.

I want to hear some good boomy bass, while still hearing the clear crisp detail of an acoustic guitar being strum.

If you live near the Orlando airport, you may be able to audition them there. DC National Airport has a store called Airport Wireless which has the entire Klipsch line that you can audition. There is a branch at the Orlando airport too. I don't know if all of the locations have IEMs to audition and I don't know if it's before security like DC, but it's worth a look.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I acually already have the s4i. So I know how it sounds. I liked them so much that I want to move up the line. Hence the x5/x10.

Sorry for making that assumption on the BA thing. But as I noted, and it's just me, I felt I lost nothing and was very happy to keep the S4s and sell the X10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back