Help! Which IEM has more detail & clarity w/ good bass and comfortable
Oct 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 34
The thing that would make me pick the X10 over the S4 is the size of the barrel. The X5 just barely fits in my ear. When I tried the X10 at Airport Wireless, they were more comfortable. I really didn't have time for a full audition because I had a plane to catch. I just wanted to see how comfortable they are.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 34
I'm curious about how the S4 and X10 compare in detail and instrument separation. I expect the X10's to be better at multiple times the price, but, can someone quantify how much better?

I'm upgrading from Shure e2c's and after getting a set of full sized cans I find them unlistenable, more than anything because everything sounds compressed together. Would the S4's be significantly better in this regard.

Also, how do the X10 and S4 compare in bass extension and presence?

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #18 of 34
well guys... it looks like I'm getting the x10 for now. Because I'm getting them for an exceptional price! So if I find them to be less than satisfactory, I will simply sell them on here, or eBay, or trade for the X5.

Hopefully if this guy pulls through, I will give a thorough comparison.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well guys... it looks like I'm getting the x10 for now. Because I'm getting them for an exceptional price! So if I find them to be less than satisfactory, I will simply sell them on here, or eBay, or trade for the X5.

Hopefully if this guy pulls through, I will give a thorough comparison.

Takes about ~50 hours to burn them in. I just got mine back from warranty and they sound no where near as good the ones that I sent in. The bass is just not as present, but once they open up, they are pretty sweet!

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #20 of 34
UPDATE

Since this post, I've had the Klipsch X10, and the Etymotic HF5. The X10 is a very nice IEM, but the sound signature is too much like the SE530 (heavily detailed, good bass response, but the details a little rolled off. The X10 has about 30 hours of burn-in from me, but I'm not sure how much was done from the previous owner. The previous owner claims he never used them, even though he opened the box. Who Knows.

The HF5 has more clarity than the X10, and the bass response was not as powerful, but the details were not clear enough for me. The details were a pinch still too rolled for me. I've only burned in about 8 hours, but I'm not sure what kind of improvement to really expect. There is something missing from the hf5. Maybe it is due to the bass, I'm not sure, but there's some kind of weight missing. The sound doesn't seem full. And the slightly rolled off detail isn't enough for me to truly enjoy them.

I'm coming off the Grado sound, and I would like something that comes close to that clarity. I'm not sure how much more clear I can get in IEMs while still getting adequate bass. To me, clarity = realism. I want clarity with full bodied bass. But on the same token, I want a supremely comfortable fit. I just do'nt want something as big as the SE530 or Westone 3, protruding from my ears, making it a difficult project to put them on every time, and wrapping cables around my ears.

I'm now skeptical about the X5, because they say it is similar to the ER4p etymotic. I've heard the X5's detail doesn't quite match ER4p, and that it's detail is a bit rolled off as well. If that's the case, the X5 will not be for me. I'm considering the ER4p, but we'll see.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always try some Audio Technica's IEMs such as the CK10, CK100 or the phiaton PS200

What about the RE-0s, are they truly the great "bang for the buck!" IEMS?

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the RE-0s, are they truly the great "bang for the buck!" IEMS?

They are great, but lack the punchy-ness or boomy-ness of other phones. It may take awhile to get used to them. If the OP didn't like the Shures he probably wouldn't like the RE0.

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 34
The X10 is growing on me a bit. I keep switching between them and the hf2. The X10's sound a hell of a lot better from my mac, than my iPod. It's going to require a portable amp.

Is burn-in required for either of these guys? or is that b.s. for these IEMs?

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

The X10 is growing on me a bit. I keep switching between them and the hf2. The X10's sound a hell of a lot better from my mac, than my iPod. It's going to require a portable amp.

The X10 doesn't really need an amp, unless you feel it would need one. That goes to say with most IEMs, unless your dap/comp can't power them properly - hardly the case for IEMs.

Burn in is one of the yes it does, no it doesn't work type of deals. Many believe in it, many don't. That being said, it's hard to say, the power of suggestion is quite...well powerful.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

The X10 doesn't really need an amp, unless you feel it would need one. That goes to say with most IEMs, unless your dap/comp can't power them properly - hardly the case for IEMs.

Burn in is one of the yes it does, no it doesn't work type of deals. Many believe in it, many don't. That being said, it's hard to say, the power of suggestion is quite...well powerful.

well this sort of blanket statement is just plain wrong IMO, there is more to having an amp then providing current. some IEMs the difference is negligible, but others it is quite profound.

OP: I wonder if you were wearing the W3 properly?? because IMO and as a general rule opinion here, apart from customs the westone IEMs are some of the most comfortable available. from what you describe I really think the UM3X would suit well, I dont know how they could not be comfortable, but we all have different ears I guess.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

X10 doesn't need an amp, but it greatly benefits from one. My iPhone can power them fine, but i get a wider soundstage and the detail is more apparent when coming directly from my mac pro tower. I got these for mainly my iPhone 3GS.

Do you know of a portable amp that is proper suited? BTW, I think i'm liking the foam tips from the HF2, on the X10.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well this sort of blanket statement is just plain wrong IMO, there is more to having an amp then providing current. some IEMs the difference is negligible, but others it is quite profound.

OP: I wonder if you were wearing the W3 properly?? because IMO and as a general rule opinion here, apart from customs the westone IEMs are some of the most comfortable available. from what you describe I really think the UM3X would suit well, I dont know how they could not be comfortable, but we all have different ears I guess.

haha, guess I should have re-read my post, and made it more relevant, my apologies

Quote:

X10 doesn't need an amp, but it greatly benefits from one. My iPhone can power them fine, but i get a wider soundstage and the detail is more apparent when coming directly from my mac pro tower. I got these for mainly my iPhone 3GS.

Do you know of a portable amp that is proper suited? BTW, I think i'm liking the foam tips from the HF2, on the X10.

There are tons of portable amps, what is your price range?

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #29 of 34
UPDATE

I found my IEM!!! Ultimate Ears. I picked up the SuperFi 5vi from the Apple Store today, and I'm blown away. I am using them with the soft grey foamies. They are plugged into a LOD adapter directly to my iPhone 3GS. No amp. They sound great. From my Apogee duet they sound amazing! The soundstage is amazing, and 3D like. Instrument separation is superb. It's a crisp clean sound with enough bass. IMO they have the best balance of detail/bass/soundstage. I'm waiting for people to tell me how they compare to the TripleFi 10.

I have to find a portable amp for these. Because although they are directly plugged into my LOD adapter from my iPhone, I have no volume control as a result. So it's a little high. If I plug them in the regular headphone jack of the iPhone, they lose some clarity and a bit of soundstage.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

I've heard that burn-in on BA's like the X10 is not required. However, I won't claim to be an authority on the matter.

I'm very interested in hearing a comparison between the X10 and S4. Specifically on instrument separation, bass extension and quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back