Help - Which headphones to buy?
Dec 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ryanfrench

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am currently looking for some more headphones to replace my existing Sennheiser HD 228's .

I am quite fussy about how headphones sound and the Sennheiser's just dont seem to cut it and the always fall of my head as they are on ear and not very tight. 

I have been looking at getting either the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the new Bose AE2. Im not sure if these headphones are the right ones to be looking at.

The ATH M50 looks to big to be portable as I will be wearing them to work and around town alot while walking. But apparently have beastly reviews.

I went into the Bose store and tried out the AE2 and they sounded good but Im guessing someone on these forums will know of much better headphones for the price. 

I want something that is portable and possibly around ear that satisfies me and has a decent bass aswell as detailed mids and highs. 

It has to be in the range of $100 to $250 New Zealand Dollars.

Would really appreciate if someone could help me out here. 

Thanks,
Ryan

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Dude you have to be patient. If you just browse the forum you will find plenty of headphones that can satisfy you. In the meantime check out this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-100-iems-compared-westone-um3x-turbine-pro-copper-added-08-18
There's another big thread on full-size portables if that's what you're looking for - it should be at the front of this forum somewhere.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 6
The M50s are great all around cans.  They have solid bass, good mids and highs, okay soundstage, great isolation, and run well unamped.  Another option would be the Denon D1100s if you want some massive bass.  Those also run well unamped and have okay isolation so they're good as a portable.  What type of music do you listen to.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Pretty disappointed with the lack of help for newcomers on these forums.

blarg....never fear...buffalowings is here...dang that sounded much more heroic in my noggin >_< first off...how much does the M50 cost in new zealand? (pricing can greatly vary from area to area, apparently australian dealers are always trying to milk their fellow aussies, anywho, if you can get them for an affordable price ($100 USD is the accepted price in the US) then i would go with those, the soundstage was lacking, but they were very proficient in all other areas. BTW you won't need to fear these cans falling off your head...they have very tight clamping on the noggin (so much in fact people stretch the headband a bit before using them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back