Help! total new comer needing some serious assistence! (searched and read)
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mengsk

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I've recently acquired two new portable source.

Sony NW-A3000 and Zune 30GB first generation for very good price.

(I also have two b series and one s series Walkman and I have tried almost every Ipod out there as well as many Cowons and Irivers and Samsungs [I'm a Korean living in Canada
smily_headphones1.gif
]

After using varieties of portable sources, I've decided that I couldn't possible move on more unless I get AMP3 or Kenwood or something like that and those are not within my price nor availability range.

So I've finalized my decision and will stick with the NW-A3000 and look else where I can improve my listening quality.

Now I'm really interested in full-size cans or IEM instead of giving changes to my portable sources.

I've used PORTAPRO, KSC75 (thanks to the guidance of the wise Head-Fi pros) PX100, MX460, SE110, IMAGE, A8, E3 AMP

Anyways even though I've never posted before I received many, many useful inputs from Head-Fi forums.

I grew tired of endless searching and decided to grow some spine and ask for my self.

I need help with picking portable amps and cans (and maybe DAC? I still don't really get what it does though...)

I'm one of those weird people that walk around with huge headphones and it would be nice if I get some full-size that can be worn outside as well

I'm really into both Koss and Sony cause I have good experience with them, so I'm leaning towards Koss MV1 and Sony MDR-V6and PA2V2 for amp.

I'm really under budget right now so all under $200 would be very nice.

P.S. I live in Vancouver so shipping is a big problem for me, it would be wonderful if I can get links to where I can get good headphones

P.S.2. I listen to almost everything, Jazz, Pop, Classic, Some OST for Games and Animation

P.S.3 Thanks for reading and replying, this is my first post
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.4 i rip cds with ATRAC LOSSLESS

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mengsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah it feels like everyone is more interested in suggesting headphones of expensive price range than helping some noob
frown.gif

Mate, I dont think your thread title has helped your cause one iota.

The other reality is that there are a lot of recommendations in the 'Headphone Buyers Guide' thread. I'd suggest you take a look at that thread first.

Insulting us wont improve the quality of responses.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 21
Gotta wait longer than 15 min sometimes.
tongue.gif

Anyway, minus well get over the koss fanboy stuff because frankly they don't make anything good over the 40$ price point with the exception of some electrostatic headphones, and those are a whole different story. As for what you should get, well frankly it looks like your in a bit of a bad spot at that price point. You might be able to get away with a k271, but they do like proper amping (might not be the kind of thing a pa2v2 can do). Lower the price range and you have some nice stuff around the 100$ mark (AD700 for instance) but you don't get much until you hit 250-300 and get into the HD 600, K701, D2000, AD900 and so on.

So if you feel like spending more than 100 or so, get the k271 and start saving for a nice portable amp. Otherwise, look into the 100$ price range, probably AD700s.

Not finished posting edit: or you might want to look into the K501s, but I don't know much about those, 'cept that they are discontinued and you would have to get them from the FS section.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 21
I wasn't insulting anyone, I'm really sorry if it felt as if i was offending someone,

and yes of course I have read almost every single post related to buyers guide,

yet I couldn't find many useful posts on Koss nor Sony headphones.

How do you think I should change my post title to?

I'm really new to this forum thing so I will need alot of help

still thank you for your time and comment

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks alot for great input KONAKONA,

so do you think I wouldn't be able to setup a reasonable amp/fullcan combo with $200?

I really wish I could hear more about MV1 I've only found one actual review by skylab

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 21
Not at all - you've only got portable sources and $200 to spend, so the choice isn't exactly wide open.

The best general advice is to look for full size phones with low impedance. Less than 100ohms is a good rule of thumb.

There's little point in looking at amps and DACs - any headphone designed for a portable will run fine off those players. Amps are primarily for providing power for hard to drive phones, DACs are for improving the decoding of digital files to analog, usually to upgrade computer soundcards, or a cheap CD Player with a poor DAc stage.

You can't really add a DAC to a portable player. Not easily, or without questioning the cost/benefit anyway.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 21
Oh almost forgot about the sonys, they are glaringly bright. Most sony headphones are either lowly regarded or simply non existent until you get into the outer edge of the high end section with the R10s, CD3000s, 010 and all that. (All easily 1000$+)

I recommend you give up being a fanboy of anything, stuff like that seems to cause the most problems around here.
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 21
Drubbing thanks alot for your time!

so do you think there are good full-size phones with low impedance within my price range?

if you give me some models or brands i'll look it up

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mengsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks alot for great input KONAKONA,

so do you think I wouldn't be able to setup a reasonable amp/fullcan combo with $200?

I really wish I could hear more about MV1 I've only found one actual review by skylab

I wouldn't worry about the amp too much. You probably want to look into upgrading your source first, like drubbing said. Upgrading to an amp (especially with easy to drive headphones and portable amps) wont get as much results as upgrading your source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best general advice is to look for full size phones with low impedance. Less than 100ohms is a good rule of thumb.

Don't forget that some headphones can have low impedance and still be a pig to drive. Case and point, K701.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 21
KONAKONA thanks again for the advise, i've deleted the fanboy thing, i'm not like those crazed cultists lol

so amps/dacs are not really for portables? i'm confused because almost every ipod users seems to use portable amps.

it would be wonderful if i could get more info on that

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 21
I'm not sure what to suggest (though the Sony MDR-V6 is a good can), but don't freak out over your initial purchases.

A lot of people spend way too much time on choosing their first setup only to buy another after a few months. The "sorry about your wallet" thing isn't a joke.

I'd recommend buying something that appeals to you and is in your budget. If you love it, great. If not, you can always sell it or trade for something else. Based on experience, you will probably start upgrading or trying other stuff sooner or later.

If you want to do this in a sane way, buy used. You can almost always get your money out of used gear. Don't accumulate too much (look who's talking
biggrin.gif
) and you'll be OK.

But instead of spending way too much time researching and reading, you should be listening. Pick up something appealing and give it a good listen. How you feel about it will guide you on your next purchase. If you're anything like the other people here, you will have another purchase.

That might sound scary right now, but you'll eventually work your way into something you'll love. Trust me, you will. I'm still not home yet, but when I get there I'm going to put on the HD-800 and enjoy it. Yeah, it's not cheap and I had no intention of buying one, but it sounds so good I don't care. When you're enjoying your music more than you ever thought possible, it will all make sense, you'll be happy and you won't mind the money and numerous transactions it took to get there. You'll have a lot of fun in the process, too.
smily_headphones1.gif
So relax and get yourself some headphones.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 21
sorry for slow reply, English isn't my domain...

so would it be wiser if i just stick to IEM than fullsize?

P.s. would it be ok to move this post to portable section than? or is there some rules against posting similar posts in two section?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 21
thank you for you wise comments Uncle Erik

i love trying out new headphones and such but its pretty hard in my environment, i don't know any professional audio gear shop,

the reason why i asked for koss or sony stuff was because i had wonderful experience with them

koss protapro was a huge leap for me

P.S it would be lovely if someone could tell me about audio gear stores in Vancouver/Richmond area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back