HELP: Suggestions for an entry DAP
Sep 18, 2019 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mooncacophony

New Head-Fier
New to the world of DAPs (currently using my Android phone - ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M1) and want some suggestions. I'm content with my audio gears and so I want to have a DAP suitable for them. Though new suggestions are most welcome, I'm currently eyeing the Acmee MF-01 (Pros: powerful for it's price, love it's 'rugged' design; Con: Battery life), F.Audio FA3 (Pros: 2.5mm output, AK4497; Con: Heating issues), and Cowon iAUDIO HiFi (Pros: sleek design, EQ Features; Con: Can't find a seller for it).

My budget is less than $200.

The DAP will be used mainly with my Fiio FA1 and my earbuds (an Auglamour Rx-1 and a FAAEAL Datura X), or sometimes with my old Sony MDR-XB250. Probably at home only.

My sound signature is nothing in particular, as long as the details are a plenty. Maybe airy, with a sense of openness and depth.

My music tastes are Pop Punk, Indie Rock, Alt Rock, Acoustic Music, Jazz, Oldies, Country, J-Pop, Anime Soundtracks.

I want more details, and the convenience of having a seperate music player from my phone that is smaller and lighter with good, if not better, build quality. And of course the better sound quality. Did I say details ?

It will be a HUGE plus if it has bluetooth capabilities (so I can use the DAP as a DAC to my phone wirelessly), 2.5mm/4.4mm balanced output, or can drive a 300ohm impedance can. If we're being realistic, I just need something that is analytical and airy, and a design that is NOT similar to Hidizs AP80, Shanling M0, etc. They're too square-ish for my taste. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 19
What Android phone have you got, cos to be honest some of the newer ones sound pretty decent and although a DAP will probably give you a better listening experience and drive your FIIO FA1 to a better level... don't be expecting a ton of extra detail to all of a sudden appear.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 19
What Android phone have you got, cos to be honest some of the newer ones sound pretty decent and although a DAP will probably give you a better listening experience and drive your FIIO FA1 to a better level... don't be expecting a ton of extra detail to all of a sudden appear.
I thought about it, especially if it's just an entry level DAP.. my phone is an ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M1.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 19
I just got my first DAP a week ago which is a Ziku HD X9, retails about 40 USDish. Very hardy, built like a tank and insane battery life of 20 hours.
It has no balanced output or bluetooth functions and is just a no frills music player.
It does increase details and soundstage and instrument separation compared to my lousy smartphone (samsung J1 ACE) but it won't beat my desktop rig setup which is a Khadas tone board. A small peeve of mine is there may be slight hissing with very sensitive or low impedance IEMs on it, but otherwise I like the improved sound quality so much that I don't mind bringing 2 devices (DAP and smartphone) when I am on the go.

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 19
I just got my first DAP a week ago which is a Ziku HD X9, retails about 40 USDish. Very hardy, built like a tank and insane battery life of 20 hours.
It has no balanced output or bluetooth functions and is just a no frills music player.
It does increase details and soundstage and instrument separation compared to my lousy smartphone (samsung J1 ACE) but it won't beat my desktop rig setup which is a Khadas tone board. A small peeve of mine is there may be slight hissing with very sensitive or low impedance IEMs on it, but otherwise I like the improved sound quality so much that I don't mind bringing 2 devices (DAP and smartphone) when I am on the go.
Wow ! Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look in it. Seems what I basically need, and the battery life is definitely a plus. Did you update it ? Seems like updating changes the sound quality.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 19
Wow ! Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look in it. Seems what I basically need, and the battery life is definitely a plus. Did you update it ? Seems like updating changes the sound quality.

I read on this forum that updating firmware increases the volume and may not be that compatible with low impedance high sensitivity IEMs (which is what I'm using). It will be worth it to update if u use high impedance headphones I think.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 19
I read on this forum that updating firmware increases the volume and may not be that compatible with low impedance high sensitivity IEMs (which is what I'm using). It will be worth it to update if u use high impedance headphones I think.
I've heard lot of great stuff about this one, i think i'm gonna try it along with the sonata HD soon

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 19
I've heard lot of great stuff about this one, i think i'm gonna try it along with the sonata HD soon

I have the HD sonata DAC/AMP too. It is another good option instead of a DAP, just connect it to your smartphone. Flash it to firmware D for the best music sound quality. There are 2 versions being sold, one is the Tempotec brand, one is the Hidizs brand, essentially they are the same device with different branding. Just that the Hidizs is 10 dollars more expensive. I got my tempotec sonata HD at about 27 USD during sales.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 19
My FA1 has low impedance, so I probably wouldn't update it if I'm satisfied with the sound already.

I have the HD sonata DAC/AMP too. It is another good option instead of a DAP, just connect it to your smartphone. Flash it to firmware D for the best music sound quality. There are 2 versions being sold, one is the Tempotec brand, one is the Hidizs brand, essentially they are the same device with different branding. Just that the Hidizs is 10 dollars more expensive. I got my tempotec sonata HD at about 27 USD during sales.
Unfortunately, my phone only uses micro usb, so DAC/AMPs like those is a no-go for me.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 19
I recommend getting a portable dac/amp. TBH under 200 for a dap is a bit "not enough", basically the improvements over a phone is limited. Getting a portable dac/amp would bring more improvement (though less convenient than a dap). You can take a look at the just released xduoo x05 plus.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 19
I recommend getting a portable dac/amp. TBH under 200 for a dap is a bit "not enough", basically the improvements over a phone is limited. Getting a portable dac/amp would bring more improvement (though less convenient than a dap). You can take a look at the just released xduoo x05 plus.
Thanks for the suggestion ! Though I'm just looking for a simple dap, I'll keep that in mind. Also could you link where you found the xDuoo x05 plus ? For some reason I only see the x05 without the PLUS version.

I don't think so.. the usb on the original adapter end is USB 2.0 so is a OTG adapter, there shouldn't be a issue powering these with a smartphone.
Thank you, I'm not a fan of dongles but it's something you made me consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back