Help: Sennheiser HD800 tube amp recommendation
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shofilm

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I'm new to the amp game. I just bought a hd800 but I find it way too harsh. Can't listen more than 30 mins or else I'll get a headache.

I only have a dragonfly cobalt. Plenty of volume out of it but like I said I can't listen to it more than 30 mins. I bought the hd800 because I love classical music and some gaming with the huge soundstage. I know it might be a overkill for my needs but it got a great deal. $500 USD!

From more research I found people saying tubes work the best for the hd800. Can I get some recommendations for a good somewhat cheap amp to warm up the highs? And the cheapest tube amp that works for the hd800.

Also want to add, I did EQ them also but the painful highs are still there.

Thank you for all the help in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 18
My recommendation is put those HD800 headphones for sale on eBay and use the proceeds to purchase the $220 drop HD6XX headphones and a set of HD600s on eBay for about $200 and buy a bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 18
There is probably no good cheap amp for the 800s because of how resolving they are. I have a Valhalla 2 but it does not sound good with the 800 and stock tubes while it sounds fine with a pair of 600s. I think it is the right pair in general for classical and I'm surprised you find it so harsh. I do find them harsh on female vocals but I don't find them harsh on orchestral or big band music. It could be your dragonfly is not driving them correctly and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem.

There are already several big threads on the 800s and even something like "what amp for Sennheiser 800" so you should check those.

I have to say, if you EQd them and the painful highs are still there it means you don't know how to use EQ or there is something seriously wrong somewhere.

The price is surprising to say the least. Not sure what's going on with that.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 18
My recommendation is put those HD800 headphones for sale on eBay and use the proceeds to purchase the $220 drop HD6XX headphones and a set of HD600s on eBay for about $200 and buy a bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade.
The bottlehead crack would be good for the 800s and if classical is his main thing, the 800s are clearly better than a pair of 600/650/6XX. For most other kinds of music I would prefer the 600s but given his music preference, the 800 should be expected to rule.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 18
When I first bought the HD800 about 10 years ago and paired it with the ESS Sabre DAC's and the combo is not a great pairing in my opinion and thinking it was the Headphone I sold the HD800 (in my late 30's). And every time someone commented and praising the HD800 I was like they are crazy. I would try a different DAC source before a different amp. Schiit makes great DAC's and many others out there like the Holo Spring R2R DAC's very musical and non fatiguing in sound.
After buying the Holo Spring 2 I purchased a HD800S and did not like it I personally felt like it was way to grainy in the sound. So I bought my second pair of HD800 last year (late 40s' now) and never looked back. It pairs extremely well with the Violectric V281 and when the HD800 was first launched was the go to combo. Other AMPS like the Topping A90, and Sony TA-ZH1ES does well. My Feliks Euforia does well with it too but it is NOT a WARM sounding OTL AMP.

I highly recommend trying on another DAC first.. I have had multiple ESS Sabre DAC's and I was getting ear fatigue as well from Oppo HA-1, Matrix Mini I Pro, and the flagship Oppo 205 which I all sold.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 18
Get a used Schiit amp. Don't go solid-state at that price-point. I'd recommend Liquid Platinum, but it's too much past your price. Crack is one of the better choices at the pricepoint, but not as versetile as the LP. I heard good thing about Schiit Lyr as alternative to LP.

HD800 needs an amp that keeps the brightness contained a bit.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 18
eddie current zdt.jr works well with my unmodded HD800

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 18
eddie current zdt.jr works well with my unmodded HD800
That was never a question.

The question is how an Eddie Current amp gets to Europe...any hints that don't involve bank loans? :D

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 18
well i'm in the UK and purchased a used one on ebay.co.uk for about £250 last year (imported from US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back