Help recommend, a good tour in the states.
Dec 16, 2006 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

100+ Head-Fier
My family's friend is visiting for the new year's. Do you guys know any good travel agent that provides family-oriented tour service? (like universal studios, disneyland, sightseeing places, etc) They're interested in seeing LA, Vegas, San Francisco, maybe 1 or 2 more cities. It's going to be for a week. They're going to depart on December 29.

Which spots would you recommend for a tourist in those cities?

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 12
A scenic drive down the coastal hiway from SF to San Luis Obispo (SP) to see Hearst Castle, would be good if they have time. If they've never been to Vegas, then they'll have no problem finding things to see and do there ... but should try to book a show or two ahead of time if possible. For a first time visitor, just walking along the Vegas strip checking out the huge themed hotels is a tour in itself.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 12
I'd be careful adding more cities. That's not much time in the three you've listed. While I think you can do Vegas pretty quickly, the LA and Bay Area require more than a few days. Personally I'd stick up and down the coast (and renting a car if possible) if I only had a week.

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd hit SF and Sonoma and Napa Valley, Plenty to do and see. You can find plenty of tours on the Warf that will give you the wine country bit. IMO I'd leave out LA, not exactly anything you'd really be missing out on. Las vegas would be nice to hit for a day just to see the circus it can be. +1 on booking a show now! If you wait until you get there, chances are they will be sold out. Maybe Seattle, I've never been there, but it sounds desireable, it's also close to Vancouver.

Where are yourr parnets coming from?

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Huh. I saw the thread title and immediately thought 'the coast.' Guess mbriant and blessingx were thinking the same thing, too! I'd grab a good rental car and a map, and just go. Plenty of things will come up to see and do, not much planning is necessary.

I know that sounds lousy for a recommendation, but every one of my vacations is like this. I usually set a goal, like my last trip in October was eastern Oregon. I only had a vague idea of what I wanted to do, but then I got there and had an awesome time for seven days. Did that in Arizona in January, as well. Next up in the spring is the Natchez Trace. I'll fly into Memphis and take it from there. No reservations and no firm plans, save for spending a full day at Vicksburg.

The California coast is like that, as well. There's so much to see and do, you can set off driving and be occupied for a whole week. I'm not even sure a month would be enough.

Also, I can't really recommend any of the tour services. They sell you a package where they put you up in a so-so hotel in downtown LA, then bus you to Universal Studios, Disneyland, a few places in Hollywood, etc. etc. In LA, you're going to burn 5-6 hours in the bus alone to get to these places. Then, you'll have to drop $70 a head just to get into Disneyland, where you'll buy a $40 pizza and stand in line for 2 hours to get on a "big" ride. So you're going to inhale a lot of diesel fumes and wait a long, long time for the typical tour package experience. I can't imagine that being fun for anyone.

Instead, hit a car rental place and grab a convertible. Then, drive west to Santa Monica, get lunch, and start driving north on the coast. Good places to stay will turn up, lots of places to eat, and plenty to do. They will have a great time.

Also, I'd heavily recommend flying into San Francisco, renting a car, and heading up the coast into Mendocino and possibly southern Oregon, if there's time. Again, hugely fun and plenty to do.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Hollywood/Los Angeles area: Warner Brothers Studio, Hollywood Wax
Museum, Queen Mary (long beach), Aquarium of the Pacific (long beach), Travel Town.

Btw there is a Medieval Times in the OC (Buena Park) and not just Vegas (which is probably more packed). Knotts Berry Farm is near it too.

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Those suggestions sound great.. But, the thing is that walking around like that won't be too fun for them since they've never been here. Besides, I can't take them around on those other cities, so they can't just rent a car. A tour from a travel agent would be best since it usually includes transportation, guides, food, hotels, etc. It's so much easier. I really think that it's best for them to go in a tour, and let the tour guide show them around.

Would anyone happen to know travel agents that give tours in those cities, or maybe one guide for all those cities?

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Love LA
1, ghetty museum
2, Disneyland and OC stuff
3, Santa Anita
4, Old town pasadena
5, Queen Mary
6, the beaches, SM Pier
7, Catalina Island
8, the mountains, San Gabriel Canyon
9, the desert, palm springs
10, all that others stuff in hollywood (countless)
11, LA's new architecture- Disney Hall, Cathederal, Staples Center, Cal trans headquarters
12, LA's old (fortress LA) architecture- Universal city walk, twin towers jail, and countless malls,

The Bay
1, Legion of Honor, art museums, and the parks
2, Golden gate Park
3, Napa Valley
4, berkeley's libraries and College Ave
5, pier 39 and market street
6, Jack London Square
7, take a boat tour of the bay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back