Help picking best headphones for daughter, under $150 for Xmas..
Nov 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 49
Some other considerations:
Is your daughter 14 or is she 19? Does your daughter take care of her things? Is good music important enough to her that she will take care of headphones, or will she set them on the floor and step on them 15 minutes later? I'm not phishing(!!), just saying I know my college-age daughter -- she loves music, but I def. would NOT spend $150 on headphones for her because she would break them inside of 1 month! (She gets Sony MDR-828 earbuds for $15!).

Also, you don't have to spend $150 to get some very nice open portable headphones that work just as well at home. Here a couple that get excellent reviews.

Yuin GA1 clip ons -- $50.
Grado iGrado behind-the-neck -- $50.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 49
sennheiser px 100 white! Its not the high end in portability but does what it supposed to very well ! They are perfect for city environment you can hear whats going around you and they sound pretty decent.They are not as good as sr60 but they are looker comparing the sr60! Save your money and buy her samsung p3 player + px 100 white
Samsung P3 8GB - $120 - BestBuy

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 49
For portable use, and especially without an amp, you are going to want to get her either IEMs or just plain old ear buds. Trust me, being a 17 year old guy, I don't want to be walking around with huge clunky headphones on, it's just a pain, and it's also dangerous. I would imagine it would be the same for your daughter.

Look at Etymotic or Shure IEMs in your price range, or any of the earbuds in kostalex's review.

Let me emphasize this for you though really quickly. Wearing big headphones outdoors doesn't only look ridiculous, it is a huge pain, and is dangerous for multiple reasons:

1. Can't hear cars.
2. Draws attention to you, just asking to get jumped if you aren't living in the safest part of your city (seen this happen to quite a few people).
3. Easier to steal when you aren't looking because they're harder to store away.

2 and 3 are solved by getting either IEMS or ear buds, and 1 is solved by getting ear buds (IEMs will block out noise).

If your daughter is attentive when walking around, then I recommend IEMs, as they have better SQ, especially since she's only wearing for short periods so she won't get uncomfortable (some people find them somewhat uncomfortable). If you're worried about her not paying attention when crossing the street, grab ear buds.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For portable use, and especially without an amp, you are going to want to get her either IEMs or just plain old ear buds. Trust me, being a 17 year old guy, I don't want to be walking around with huge clunky headphones on, it's just a pain, and it's also dangerous. I would imagine it would be the same for your daughter.

Look at Etymotic or Shure IEMs in your price range, or any of the earbuds in kostalex's review.

Let me emphasize this for you though really quickly. Wearing big headphones outdoors doesn't only look ridiculous, it is a huge pain, and is dangerous for multiple reasons:

1. Can't hear cars.
2. Draws attention to you, just asking to get jumped if you aren't living in the safest part of your city (seen this happen to quite a few people).
3. Easier to steal when you aren't looking because they're harder to store away.

2 and 3 are solved by getting either IEMS or ear buds, and 1 is solved by getting ear buds (IEMs will block out noise).

If your daughter is attentive when walking around, then I recommend IEMs, as they have better SQ, especially since she's only wearing for short periods so she won't get uncomfortable (some people find them somewhat uncomfortable). If you're worried about her not paying attention when crossing the street, grab ear buds.

Thanks for the advise, and I surely would be concerned about her being able to hear her surroundings if she was to wear these walking around.

The only use the headphones will see is at home and in the car (others driving). She doesn't walk around while listening.

Keep the suggestions coming, I am very happy and appreciative of all the posts so far, this is a great site with a wealth of information and experienced users.

Rick

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She will not hear you, phone calls, door bells.

I don't hear my father or door bells and I have HD650s
smily_headphones1.gif

But I do hear phone calls because the phone is on my desk beside me.
I'd go for Grado's if she doesn't mind the look, they sound great with rock, pop and the likes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to hear any phones under $200 that sound better than Bose Around-Ears (and none over $200 that sound a lot better.)

Get your flame-retardant suit on right now

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica ES7's or Denon D1001's would be my choice.

x3 for the Audio Technica ES7, portable, great sound and good looking! plus it is a closed phone that lets you hear your surroundings! all requests met
o2smile.gif

Dogbane: you are completely alone in this forum, just do a light search... Bose are possibly the worst cans for the money, imo, the price goes to 90% marketing and 10% to sound technology.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

I have yet to hear any phones under $200 that sound better than Bose Around-Ears (and none over $200 that sound a lot better.)

I just choked on my gum. Bose are terribly overpriced (not necessarily terrible, but not worth the price tag certainly). Their $175 headphones are worth MAYBE $70. Under $200, Shure SRH840/440, AT ATH-AD900/A900/AD700/A700, Sennheiser HD555/595 all wreck any Bose can offerings. And that's speaking from experience with all of the above and Bose.

And OP, since you want the closed headphones, under $200 the SRH840 are hands down your best option.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get your flame-retardant suit on right now

Flame away.

I wasted a lot of money trying and failing to try something betterthan the Bose.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Don't troll, Sennheiser HD201's sound yards better than my Bose AE's. My MS-1's sound leap years ahead of my Bose AE's. The only thing AE's have going for them is epic sound isolation and little to no sound leakage.

For the OP, I'd consider Grado iGrados or Alessandro MS-1s, they're both great options, the MS-1's costing a little more but definitely being worth the extra price you'll spend. I listen to classical on my MS-1s and whilst they don't sound amazing with the classical, they still offer a great amount of clarity and a decent enough amount of soundstage.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't troll, Sennheiser HD201's sound yards better than my Bose AE's. My MS-1's sound leap years ahead of my Bose AE's. The only thing AE's have going for them is epic sound isolation and little to no sound leakage.

I am not trolling, never have, and never will. It is incredibly rude of you to suggest such a thing!

I am reporting my experiences. I have tried a lot of highly rated phones (including HD650, AD900, GMP-8.300D, M50, and DT770), most of which are much more expensive than the Bose. Few sounded better, and those that did sounded only slightly better. All comparisons were done using a CD player as a source (never an ipod) and with a good headphone amp (LD MK V.)

I trust my own ears, not the opinions of others.

(Edit: I forgot to add that your comments prove you have not actually listened to the AEs. Their isolation is far from "epic". In fact, M50s isolate far more.)

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 49
I was also looking for headphones under $150 and after extensive searching, I concluded that the Shure SRH840 sounds awesome but it would be better amped. A lot of people preferred the Shure SRH440 if you're not going to buy an amp.

In the end, I decided on the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (can be bought for $90 shipped on ebay if you offer the price to the right seller). I haven't received it yet, but you can't really go wrong with either the ATH-M50 or SRH840/440.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

I am not trolling, never have, and never will. It is incredibly rude of you to suggest such a thing!

I am reporting my experiences. I have tried a lot of highly rated phones (including HD650, AD900, GMP-8.300D, M50, and DT770), most of which are much more expensive than the Bose. Few sounded better, and those that did sounded only slightly better. All comparisons were done using a CD player as a source (never an ipod) and with a good headphone amp (LD MK V.)

I trust my own ears, not the opinions of others.

(Edit: I forgot to add that your comments prove you have not actually listened to the AEs. Their isolation is far from "epic". In fact, M50s isolate far more.)

You're saying that these barely-defined lows, overly bassy and murky AE's are actually on par with HD650?

And you're saying it's rude for me to say you're trolling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back