Help picking best headphones for daughter, under $150 for Xmas..
Nov 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #31 of 49
What a confusion... I guess nobody here have experience with the K-271MKll and classic or acoustic music.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not trolling, never have, and never will. It is incredibly rude of you to suggest such a thing!

I am reporting my experiences. I have tried a lot of highly rated phones (including HD650, AD900, GMP-8.300D, M50, and DT770), most of which are much more expensive than the Bose. Few sounded better, and those that did sounded only slightly better. All comparisons were done using a CD player as a source (never an ipod) and with a good headphone amp (LD MK V.)

I trust my own ears, not the opinions of others.

(Edit: I forgot to add that your comments prove you have not actually listened to the AEs. Their isolation is far from "epic". In fact, M50s isolate far more.)

No one cares... Even my old D1001 totally destroy the Bose AE and OE (Even worse...) IF you like muddy bass you are in the wrong forum, Bose lovers just won't survive here. Also Bose are heavily marketed, and widely available... So most of us will have hear the horrid Bose sound already. I agree they aren't Skullcandy crap, but they are still pretty bad, even worse if you take the price in too.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #33 of 49
My choice is not limited to only "closed" style....in my original post, I had mentioned that I thought "open" style would be "safest" but then a couple posters mentioned that "closed" would have more isolation and may sound better..

I am open to either...

My daughter does not use phones anywhere unsafe, so either would be appropriate...

I just want to get the best pair for around $150 or less...

Rick

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #34 of 49
Rick,

In simplistic terms.

Quiet listening area - open/semi-open headphones are ok.
Listening area with background noise - go with closed headphones.

And then you'll have a lot people chime in about what they feel works well and what doesn't. If you can, get yourself to a store that has a good selection & have a listen. Whatever you do, make sure you find something that can easily be driven without an amplifier if this is being connected directly to an Ipod or similar device.

Good luck.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #35 of 49
I'd really look at the Senn HD25-1 II or the cheaper version of the same model. Durable, well sized for portability (not huge like the Shures), good sound, decent isolation (closed) for car trips and the sort.

HD25:

hd25a.jpg
hd25.jpg

SRH-840:

shureheadsm.jpg

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoSlayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're saying that these barely-defined lows, overly bassy and murky AE's are actually on par with HD650?

And you're saying it's rude for me to say you're trolling?

That is not an accurate description of the AEs sound, and reinforces that you have not heard them (or at least not with a good amp and source.) The bass is just right, neither weak like AD900s nor overdone like DT770s. It is well defined, and the mids and highs are crystal clear. "Murky" is not a word that applies in any way. Not only are the on a par with HD650 in general, they are better with some music (especially jazz.)

Yes.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

That is not an accurate description of the AEs sound, and reinforces that you have not heard them (or at least not with a good amp and source.) The bass is just right, neither weak like AD900s nor overdone like DT770s. It is well defined, and the mids and highs are crystal clear. "Murky" is not a word that applies in any way. Not only are the on a par with HD650 in general, they are better with some music (especially jazz.)

Yes.

He owns the AE. Thank you, please troll again.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He owns the AE. Thank you, please troll again.

If he owns them, then he should actually listen to them, since he obviously has not.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the incessant bashing of everyone that talks down to Bose is getting old. Agree to disagree, but leave it at that.

Sorry, but you have it exactly backwards. It is the incessant bashing of Bose that is tiresome. They make some damn good headphones ("for the price" or otherwise.)

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Sorry, but you have it exactly backwards. It is the incessant bashing of Bose that is tiresome. They make some damn good headphones ("for the price" or otherwise.)

Incessant bashing of Bose I agree with, but for the money, there are better values out there, and I think a lot of members here can convey that (and have) without turning the conversation into a bashfest. If you think it's wrong to bash Bose, state that out loud, bashing the people who do is not the correct way to go at it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Even I'm guilty of going through that Bose-bashing phase. I have, however, listened to a pair of the older Triports beside my headphones, and base my opinion around that, not from popular opinion of the majority.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 49
I was being perfectly civil right up until I was falsely accused of trolling.

I started out merely making a suggestion within the OPs price range based on my experience. There was no reason to get jumped on for that.

I also had older Triports to start with. Then I started reading about alleged "better values at the price" and "better sound, albeit at a higher price" on this site and elsewhere. This led me to spend many hundreds of $ trying a variety of phones. In the end, I have come full circle because my Bose AEs sound on a par with everything I have heard (regardless of price), as well as being vastly more comfortable.
That was my experience. Yours may differ, but that is no reason for flaming and bashing.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #43 of 49
My suggestions:

Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live! (use the same drivers [speakers])
Shure SRH840.

I'd lean towards the SRH840's. I got my Denon D1001's for $63 shipped, and for that price there is no beating them.. but you can't really find them that cheap anymore

You guys are kind of going all over the place.
This is a really unimpressive thread >_<

Lets set something straight.
No one was trying to say that Closed headphones sound better.
In fact, in general, open headphones sound better than closed.

However, open headphones tend to have weaker (in quantity) bass
And the sound will leak in and out of the headphones... so using them on the go isn't always suitable.

EDIT: And this stupid Bose conversation should be taken elsewhere. Seriously folks.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestions:

Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live! (use the same drivers [speakers])
Shure SRH840.

I'd lean towards the SRH840's. I got my Denon D1001's for $63 shipped, and for that price there is no beating them.. but you can't really find them that cheap anymore

You guys are kind of going all over the place.
This is a really unimpressive thread >_<

Lets set something straight.
No one was trying to say that Closed headphones sound better.
In fact, in general, open headphones sound better than closed.

However, open headphones tend to have weaker (in quantity) bass
And the sound will leak in and out of the headphones... so using them on the go isn't always suitable.

EDIT: And this stupid Bose conversation should be taken elsewhere. Seriously folks.

As long as I keep getting "helpful" posts, I can sift through the BS.

It would be nice to take the Bose conversation elsewhere...I learned many years ago that Bose would rather spend their $$ on advertising that product, as their home speakers are also a bad investment. I know nothing of their headphones, but I would assume they are built/sold on the same principles.

Rick

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know nothing of their headphones, but I would assume they are built/sold on the same principles.

Rick

You should stop after "I know nothing of their headphones", since the assumption following that is very much false.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back