Help picking best headphones for daughter, under $150 for Xmas..
Nov 30, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

rich121

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new here, and I have been searching the posts for information on what headphones to get for my daughter, but the more I read, the more I get "information overload"!

I also have a few questions:

Would "open" or "semi-open" headphones be "safer" for my daughter (teenager) as she wears these outside also... what I mean is, safer in the fact she would be able to hear loud outside noises that might keep her from harms way as compared to "closed" headphones?

My daughter mainly listens to rock and pop (phones should do well with bass), but she also listens to probably 30% Classical and Jazz.
She plays Viola at School, in the City youth symphony orchestra and private lessons during the week (about 8 hours per week) and probably needs somewhat accurate headphones as well.

I don't think she is ready for headphones requiring an amp, so headphones that sound the best without an amp would also be in the equation.

I would like these to be durable and withstand being portable.
She takes care of her things, but I don't want to purchase something made from just plastic that is not durable enough for portability.

Price range between $100 to $150

I hope that is enough info...

thanks..

Rick

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 49
How long does she wear headphones for at a time? is comfort also one of the variables you are considering here?

Also I can't say too much on the open vs closed thing, but I would imagine open headphones or semi open would likely be safer as it at the very least allows for hearing the surrounding noises, such as cars, better. However she would then need a nice quiet free from outside noise area for listening to music accurately, since you said she would need that as well.

As for which headphone to get, I'm sure some experienced people who know what they are talking about from experience can help better with that.

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 49
I would say on average she wears headphones for a half hour to one hour at a time.

If closed are that much better, than I will go with those, as I was just thinking about safety, just being a typical parent...

Rick

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 49
M-50 on ebay for 95 + shipping. The second option will be the K-271MKll.
The M-50 have more bass, the 271MKll have better mids they are $179 on ebay.

Both are studio monitor hps, for violin I'll go with the AKGs.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 49
Sennheiser HD25-1 II if you can stretch the budget a bit. Durable, good bass, light and portable. $189 on Amazon.

The HD25 standard version is pretty decent also and is around $125.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 49
In terms of safety, take a look at "ear pad" type headphones. These will not block out all ambient noise like closed phones do. Some of these can have extremely high quality SQ (i.e ESW9A's and their kin). I am sure there are others that strike a good balance between SQ, price and *safety*. I have only listened with the ESW9A's (higher than your budget) so I cannot make specific recommendations. There are derivatives of these phones sans the wooden cups with slightly lesser specs that are less expensive. Plus, they get style points IMO.

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 49
Rich121,

Just an fyi, Soundearphones.com &Earphonesolutions.com ae both running sales until the end of the day.

Also, the problem with using open or semi-open headphones outside is that you hear outside noises that ruin your listening. A good headphone would not require you to crank up the volume to hear detail, but this will work against you if you use open phones, since background noise will be more easily heard. I had used a pair of grados once outside & that's the last time I ever did that. I heard the bus orarby, trucks, honking,...everthing but the music.

Go with a good closed headphone. Happy shopping.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 49
I am father too. Do not buy closed for streets, you absolutely are right when concerning safety. Good open options are:
  1. Earbuds listed in my review.
  2. Clip-ons listed in my review or at AudioCubes.com - Portable, Casual
  3. Supraaural - PX100, PortaPro, HD238, Grado SR60 - SR125 (if she can tolerate their look), probably v-Jays
  4. Neckband - iGrado, PMX100.
And you may also trust to Headrom choices, like this Earpad Headphones| HeadRoom Audio.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 49
Probably go for some semi-opens/closed.

Not Grado because of their look.
tongue.gif

Maybe a FC700A, D1001S, ES7, etc.

I'm guessing she won't like the M50, because it might be too bulky.

And for everyone else, teens (like me
tongue.gif
) like headphones with clarity and bass.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 49
Since my daughter listens mostly indoors, doesn't walk around cars etc. while listening, I am leaning towards a closed type headphone, either a type that sits on the ear, or wraps around.
I want to get the clearest/best bass, but the most important are the mids/highs

Thanks to those who have given suggestions so far, I have checked them and making a list.

Rick

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my daughter listens mostly indoors, doesn't walk around cars etc. while listening, I am leaning towards a closed type headphone

She will not hear you, phone calls, door bells.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica ES7's or Denon D1001's would be my choice.

x2 for closed anyways.
I love the Shure 840 but they are a bit bulky, especially for a young lady.

Grado SR 125, or SR60i with the smaller pads, if that's a concern. The cord is a little longer than necessary but not too bad.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 49
So far, I'm leaning towards the Shure SRH840 headphones...they look to be the best buy at $150.
What are others experience with these?
Reasons I should pick different, and suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back