HELP! ordering stuff from Japan?
Nov 1, 2001 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
I'm obsessed with buying a new model of Audio-Technics headphone, but it appears to only be available in Japan. Does anyone here know of a company that would import something like that to the states?? Names and tel. numbers very VERY appreciated! Thanks!

Mark Rael

Nov 1, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 34
Here is the contact information for Audio-Technica US from their website:

Contacting Audio-Technica U.S., Inc. (A.T.U.S.)

A-T marketing and distribution to the Western Hemisphere - U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America:

Audio-Technica U.S., Inc.
1221 Commerce Drive, Stow, Ohio 44224
Tel: 330-686-2600
Fax: (Corporate/General) 330-688-3752
(Sales) 330-686-0719
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Eastern time
E-mail (End-users): sales@atus.com
E-mail (Trade customers): pro@atus.com
E-mail (OEM): oem@atus.com
E-mail (Service): repair@atus.com
E-mail (Parts): parts@atus.com
E-mail (Artist Relations): artistrelations@atus.com
Please send any comments about this site to webmaster@atus.com

Nov 1, 2001 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 34
Thats very nice of you but I tried calling them before posting the first time. Surprisingly, the guy wouldnt even consider helping me or encouraging me in any way. Just a cold shoulder!
Its beating me up that there isnt a more streamlined way to do business with retailers, even in Japan, in this day and age. By using translation software I was able to delve a little deeper into the process, but still nothing concrete.

Nobody ever tried doing business with Japan??

I guess its not that likely.. but hell, they sell some pretty cool stuff over there for domestic compsumption. Damn, I expected an easier time of this.

Nov 2, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 34
Are you trying to get hold of those new limited edition wooden phones for SACD? If so, let me know if you have any luck. I am very curious about those as well, and know of no way of getting them in the States. One avenue might be to bug Jan Meier to look into getting a distributorship for them.

markl

Nov 2, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 34
A question, doesn't this company have some really expensive, wooden, but bad-sounding models? With, supposedly, a few expensive, wooden, great sounding models mixed in? How will you know what you're getting?

Nov 2, 2001 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 34
You read my mind markl.

Those ATH-W2002 Audio-technica headphones are one of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen. It was lust at first sight and yet, just try to get a pair! They are limited to a production run of 1000, and apparently they are only meant for the ears of Japan. For those of you who havent seen them, they are a fully enclosed design with cherry-wood enclosures (that are finished with a special rubbed lacquer process), and have lots of other cool little features like pure silk covering for the leads that run out from the speakers, hyper pure copper, cast metal parts, lambskin earpads, and even a cherry wood case. They look like a million bucks, and they only cost 10,000 yen :)

I want them and I want them now!!!!!

Nov 2, 2001 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
A question, doesn't this company have some really expensive, wooden, but bad-sounding models? With, supposedly, a few expensive, wooden, great sounding models mixed in? How will you know what you're getting?

Yes well thats the downside, though I havent read reviews about what you say are bad sounding wooden designs from these guys. But I *did* notice that they make 3 or 4 other wooden enclosure models.. hmmmmm... but I'm thinking that none of their other wooden models are available in the states either.
If you know of reviews please let me know. Thanks!

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 34
Good luck trying to get them, you might be one of the few if not only person in the US who has them!

Quote:

They look like a million bucks, and they only cost 10,000 yen :)

Are you sure they only cost that much? that can't be right, since that's only $82.03!

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 34
I just looked it up, they cost 100,000 yen, that's $820.34

w2002.gif

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 34
Sweet lord! Those are beauties! Ouch $800 smackers, damn wish i was back in the good ol days of robbing banks and buying expensive headphones, lol. If you get your hands on them, PLEASE review them, do you have a link to a page so i see their stats?

George

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

have lots of other cool little features like pure silk covering for the leads that run out from the speakers, hyper pure copper, cast metal parts, lambskin earpads, and even a cherry wood case.

Gee that all sounds familiar...a ripoff of another certain wooden headphone maybe?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

Gee that all sounds familiar...a ripoff of another certain wooden headphone maybe?
evil_smiley.gif

Well, the Japanese don't believe in reinventing the wheel. They work from proven designs.
wink.gif

I'm going to Japan next year, by the way.
very_evil_smiley.gif
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2001 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 34
I've decided to take my chances that the ATH-W2002 is a very fine headphone, and I've got two emails out there already to different companies that might be able to help me obtain them. I already own the CD3000, and my thinking is if the W2002 is as good as the CD3k then I will be happy. I am willing to pay extra money for 'looks', and as much as I like the way the Sony sounds, it really doesnt speak to me as an object. Headphones are such a personal way to listen to music anyway; it really appeals to me to have some cans that warm my heart to look at. I want more than great sound dammit, they got to have soul-power too! If and when I get the W2002's I can always sell my Sony F1's and Sony CD3k's later to help finance the deal and make it seem less scary to have spent all that bread. All I want in the end is a trusty pair of portable phones (my Grado 325's) and a pair of 'trophy headphones' to use at home, but that dont *require* an amp (like my ex-K1000's.) I'll let the forum know if either of these Japanese companies come through for me. I'm sitting on needles until I hear back from them!

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 34
Thanks for the link. If that link states that "Audio-Technica is marketing these as the ideal headphone for listening to SACDs," these have to sound really sweet. Let us know what happens, i would love to hear (um, read) a review about these wooden cans.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back