HELP! ordering stuff from Japan?
Nov 5, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #31 of 34
All this talk about oriental sound.....

Gyah.

Gimme an uber-accurate set of headphones, and a RECORDING that gives all of that orient sound stuff, and, well, now we have the same effect, don't we?

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun

'an uber-accurate set of headphones'

Hmmmm... I'm thinking you're an AKG man. Regionally speaking, they are about as uber as you're going to get.

p.s. So far none of the people I've mailed can or is willing to help me get the W2002. I havent heard back from everyone yet, but the gist seems to be that this is one of those 'better left undone' type aspirations; in other words I dont want to keep straining to get them if all signs are saying 'no.' The Singapore offices of Audio-technica at least got back to me- I cant say the same for the US offices.

Nov 5, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Well, you can always buy a piece of antique Japanese lacquerware and look at it while you listen to your headphones.
wink.gif

Until then, I'll look at a piece of antique American tupperware while I listen.

No really- why arent there more phones in the $1000-1500 range? I wondered if the limitation of headphone size itself prevents manufacturers from creating better and better models. Right now it seems that new units are style oriented (yes I said 'oriented' and I know its not a rug.) With floorstanding loudspeakers there are no holds barred models costing more than 10 grand; my entry level Thiel 1.5's cost nearly 2k. Amoung all this lavish attention paid to loudspeakers the headphone market seems rather dismal. Perhaps there just isnt much left for headphone technology to accomplish! It might be that except for exotic enclosure and finishing materials (the CD3000's vegetable fiber's come to mind) we might have already reached the high point of dynamic headphone performance.
Or if thats not true, what is it that will justify a new model costing more than $1500? As I said in another thread: the Sony R10 is not conspicuous because it costs $4,000- its conspicuous because no other dynamic designs compete with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back