Help on rock setup for $300
Sep 22, 2001 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
If you're considering the TA - PLEASE also consider one of JMT's amps......according to most, the JMT amp is *better* by a wide margin......and JMT is nice.

Not that Headroom isn't nice.....but, JMT is really nice.

And JMT is giving me his grados
wink.gif

I second that, I love the amp he built for me. I posted pictures somewhere you might want to go take a look at my previous posts. He's a really nice guy to deal with too.

Sep 22, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 51
With $300, I'd take that money straight to a Grado SR-325 for $200, and then go after one of JMT's lovely amps to drive it. The 325s are SO perfect for rock.

Sep 22, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 51
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

that's what I typed.........lol......

Sep 22, 2001 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 51
JMT also "forgot" he was giving me a free Penguin amp... umm, yeah, this'll work...
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 11:45 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

I completely agree that the SR80 are easier to listen to than the V6, but they do NOT have "tighter and better defined bass" than the V6.

I have to call it like I hear it. the V6 has a slower, rounder, more vague bass.

Quote:

And since when can soundcards not produce a soundstage???

They sound extremely closed in, the consumer types that is. I've owned pretty much everything short of the Audigy.

Sep 23, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

I completely agree that the SR80 are easier to listen to than the V6, but they do NOT have "tighter and better defined bass" than the V6.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to call it like I hear it. the V6 has a slower, rounder, more vague bass.

I think you're hearing accurate bass, comparing it with the sound of Grado bass, and calling it "slower, rounder, and more vague." I think Mike W. will agree with me here.

Grado bass is more "in your face," which many people confuse with "more defined." However, especially on the lower models, that's more because of the bump in the upper bass/low mid (which is where the attack of most bass notes comes from), than it is because of extremely accurate response in the low end.

The V6 may not be something I like to listen to on a regular basis (far too analytical), but their bass is as tight, accurate, and deep as any other headphone I have heard. The SR80 have pretty good bass, but it's nowhere near as tight and defined as the better headphones out there, or as the V6.

Now something with the SR80s mids and highs, with the V6's bass for <$100... THAT would be an enjoyable headphone.

Sep 23, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Is JMT feeling charitable all of the sudden?

Charitable....no, a tad alzheimeric....yes
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 51
JMT: Don't feel bad - I was just kidding around.....the last time I complimented you, you thought I *wanted* your Grados.

So this time, I acted like I *wanted* your Grados.

Thanx for the amp, and keep being "nice."
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 51
LOL, for sure I'm just kidding as well! Just jumped on the "try to get free stuff from JMT that I don't deserve" bandwagon that coolvij started!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #30 of 51
Posted by coolvij

Quote:

JMT: Don't feel bad - I was just kidding around.....the last time I complimented you, you thought I *wanted* your Grados

Posted by dhwilkin
Quote:

for sure I'm just kidding as well!

Whew, thanks for clearing that up. Now I can go unpack those 225s and that Penguin.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back