Help on rock setup for $300
Sep 23, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #31 of 51
WHAT!? erm, eh, u see - i really wasn't kidding..i was kidding about kidding....ahem....u can repack those 225s.....
rolleyes.gif

OK....I AM kidding...lol

Sep 23, 2001 at 6:23 PM Post #32 of 51
MacDEF I don't think you can call the V6's bass accurate when it's totally overblown like it is.

Call it what you want but Grado bass is the closest to the real thing I've heard.

I try to use live music as my reference instead of another pair of headphones.

Sep 23, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
MacDEF I don't think you can call the V6's bass accurate when it's totally overblown like it is.

Call it what you want but Grado bass is the closest to the real thing I've heard.

I try to use live music as my reference instead of another pair of headphones.

I don't find the V6's bass to be overblown at all. I know all our tastes differ, so I'll chalk it up to a difference of opinions. I have also been to many live performances in many different kinds of venues, and the V6's have very accurate bass representation to my ears. One of the things I find is that they actually do reproduce lower frequency material that most speakers and even most headphones do not (at least that I've tried, and I've tried quite a bit).

I also used to work in a hi-fi store (for whatever it's worth), and still visit hi-fi stores to see what's new and cool out there, and I've heard systems of all shapes and sizes -- some with extreme low-frequency reproduction capabilities -- and I have to say the V6/7506's (to my ears) generally do what they're told with what they're fed.

Again, opinions differ (which is why we all own so many different sources, cables, headphones, tweaks, music types, etc.), but I'm with John Dunlavy on his praise of the MDR-7506's (and thus V6's).

Sep 23, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #35 of 51
Well, I don't know what else to say besides my earlier suggestion that your V6 are defective. The V6/7506 are pretty universally praised as having some of the best, most accurate bass of any headphone. If your V6 aren't faulty, then like Jude I'll chalk it up to differences in tastes.

Sep 24, 2001 at 1:15 AM Post #37 of 51
Uh, to sound REALLY COMPARATIVELY great, so that the cost is worth it, the HD580 needs an amp. Cause, without an amp, you can spend that much money and get better sound, but add an amp, and it's a whoooole different picture...

Sep 24, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #38 of 51
One of the best rcok headphones I've heard is the Beyer DT770. It's a closed design with terriffic slam and a wide soundstage. I preferred it to the Grado 325's and the Sony CD3000's for rock. It's also pretty cheap, so you could probably get an amp to go with it rather easily. Even if you don't get one it should be reasonably easy to power, easier than the previously mentioned K401's. It can get uncomfortable to wear after a while though, so keep that in mind.

Sep 24, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 51
PFFFFT! Geez Gluegun, can't you see that was really Tomcat in disguise?
wink.gif

Oh, but I agree w/ Gluegun about the 580s really needing an amp. Better amp-less rock headphones can be found elsewhere.

Sep 24, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #42 of 51
MikeR17 wrote
Quote:

For rock, you should probably get the Grado SR-225 or 325 and a JMT amp.

I couldn't agree more.
wink.gif
Why, what a coincidence. Check here for that very combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2001 at 4:32 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Better than the Grado SR-325's AND the CD3000's for rock?

DUUUUUDE....

yes! better than the 325's and AND the CD3000's for rock!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

And I also believe that the CD3000's sound best for electronica. Just in case anyone finds that important.

Sep 24, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

yes! better than the 325's and AND the CD3000's for rock!

And I also believe that the CD3000's sound best for electronica. Just in case anyone finds that important.

I'm curious, did you use these headphones in your own home for, say, at LEAST, two weeks, before making statements like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back