help on reterminating HD555 with neutrik plug
Mar 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

untrueparadox

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I got a pair of the HD555 from that Amazon deal a month or two back. Because of the bulky plug adapters and the extra long length of the cable, I decided to reterminate the cable. So far, I've cut the cable, stripped the plastic, and twisted and tied each wire to the separate pins on the neutrik plug and soldered it. I'm using the right angle connector NTP3RC-B. From what I read here, red - right, white - left, blue and black - ground. But the problem is, when I actually connect it to test, it doesn't make any sound. Could it be that I broke the drivers? The plug is working fine because I used another plug on my speakers and put the t and s together or r and s together and it made sound. Thanks.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Two possibilities come to mind:

1. The stock cable wires may be coated with enamel. If so, you should burn it off with a lighter. Quickly and carefully. Test first to see whether it's actually coated.

2. The wires got shorted together while soldering. A couple strands from the L and R wires touching the ground wire or even the Neutrik plug's metal shell would do this.

As with most problems like this, it is very helpful to have a multimeter. Test the resistance on the headphone TRS plug. Check tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve. It should be the same as the HD555's impedance. If it's 0 ohms then there's a short. If it's infinity, then the wires are probably enamelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back