Help on moving up to the high end, from HE400, HD598, K702, MA900, HP50 etc...
Oct 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

amigomatt

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm beginning to think I may need to take a step up to the higher end of the headphone world.  I would appreciate any help or opinions from experienced head-fiers.  I have loved my journey so far and have amassed quite a number of headphones over the last few years, many you can see in my signature and others listed in my profile.  If I give a brief overview of what I already like and dislike about my present cans, I'm hoping some of you could steer me in the right direction as to where I might go next.

All my cans are being driven through an HRT Microstreamer either on its own, or through a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp or Fiio E11 if they require more juice.  I don't need to listen at excessively loud levels to enjoy my music either.

HD598 - 

1. Like - Soundstage, liquid smooth presentation, nice midrange bloom and warmth
  2. Dislike - slow attack makes some genres sound too polite.  Slight lack of bass impact, slightly nasal/boxy midrange makes certain acoustic instruments sound a bit veiled and unnatural

HE400 -

1. Like - speed and dynamics, textural quality to the sound, exciting presentation, great neutral but impactful bass.  Dark but detailed.
  2. Dislike - treble spikes, midrange recession

K702 -

1. Like - Great detail and clarity with the right recording, separation, midrange transparency
  2. Dislike - Overly bright, accents the upper treble at the expense of the body of sound, not enough bass impact

MA900 -

1. Like - Speed of treble presentation presents a very dynamic and lively sound to me that just engages me.  Some sort of slower decay makes everything sound with a bit more bloom.  Great clarity and instrument separation.
  2. Dislike - could do with more bass impact.  The midrange and treble are far enough from neutral as to make certain instruments sound in unnatural.

NAD HP50 -

1. Like - all round neutrality, very balanced presentation that sounds just right most of the time.  I hear the music, not the headphones.  Great bass response and impact, lush and thick midrange.  Slightly warm, rolled off treble but managing to retain great detail.
  2. Dislike - Slightly closed in feeling in soundstage (still great for closed back though).  Slightly too polite at times, so can seem a little tame and unexciting, if accurate and pleasant.

GRADO SR80 -

1. Like - speed and attack, especially treble.  Openness and detail in mids and treble.  Some recordings sound surprisingly life like in the mid range.
  2. Dislike - Lack of a full bass, lack of soundstage, slightly thin sounding at times.

Give those impressions, I'm hoping some of you may be able to deduce what I want.  My ideal headphones would be fast, detailed (but not treble heavy), realistic and close to neutral midrage, great open soundstage, great dynamic ability to cope with the large scale orchestral stuff I listen to.  Deep and detailed bass with impact.  I know that the HD800s should be on the shortlist, but I worry they may be too analytical for my tastes and lack the warmth I want from certain music.  From my present headphones, I wish I had a pair that had the midrange lushness of my NAD/598s, the speed and dynamics of my MA900s, bass detail of HE400 with the clout of the NADs (even maybe a little more).  I am yet to be happy with the treble of any of my phones.  I wish the HE400s didn't have those spikes and the NADs had a bit more extension and excitement at the top end.   Am I asking for too much?  T1s?  HD700s?  HE500?  Any help appreciated!

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Oooh, I've just impulse bought a month old pair of HE560 in the sale forums here!  They are arriving on Saturday morning!!!!!  Can't wait!  Might have to sell a few things off to rekindle some funds but I just couldn't pass up on the price (£495)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back