Help on AKG K701 or 702's or something else?
Mar 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

FortisFlyer75

1000+ Head-Fier
I have decided after some advice to go with a RSA P-51 Mustang amp to go with my Shure E500's, Senn IE8's and my old Beyer DT770's.

But after reading other thread's on here about the sound of the AKG's 701 i am wandering if they would be the right choice sound Q wise?

The only reason why really is people keep saying it slightly lacks on the bass side and can sound bright even though the soundstaging is good. The problem i have is i do not listen to just one type of genre and really go through the range and mix it up as i am quite ecclectic in my taste.

I can go from Rock/metal one day to country, acoustical material, R&B, Dance/Club, solo artist/vocalist, pop, OST's, classical/philamonic, blues and a bit of jazz the next!, so a bit diverse and was wandering if the 701's would still be a good bet? or is there anything else that would be a better all rounder in that price range.

And hypothetically if the 701's were to be the chioce, and i know the soundis the same, do i then go for the 702 so i can change to a better cable when i want to? (even though i do prefer the white of 701's for some strange reason!)

Also if it was a yes and this could apply to any other can i might go for, the 701's come with a 1/4 plug, is it okay to get it changed to a miniplug as i will prodomitally use it with a portable amp for the mid to long term until i can get a home desktop amp later on. (only ask as i have heard it does not do porta amps much good having the extra weight does not do much good for the health of the internals amp connector)

If it help's i love both the sound's of my Shure E500's and Senn IE8's even though they both sound a bit different to each other, and if the RSA Mustang which i have been told will be okay with the K701's and you guy's think from that info above with all the different styles of music i listen to and what phones i use now you can all hopefully steer me in the right direction which will help make my mind up (hopefully!)
bigsmile_face.gif

p.s. almost purchased a pair of 701's today @ £160 only 1 week old 10 hrs on clock and dithered as not sure between them & 702's with detach cable and when i decided on the 701's (slight snap decision) they had gone! were only listed on there for 2 hours! Will i regret that???

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 24
Yes the K701s do lack on the bass side some. If you think you'd like the K701 sound but want a bit more bass you can't go wrong with the K601s IMO. They measure up quite well in terms of frequency response.

Some will argue imaging on the K601 is worse or it's a darker phone compared to the K701 . . . which is what bass usually does anyway
tongue.gif

That's what I'd suggest, but some will probably disagree.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 24
If you want something radically different from your Beyers, K601s or K701s are that. They'll definitely scale up as you get better amps in the future, but I found to get their magical soundstage you need both a good source and a good amp.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 24
I think the K701s would do very nicely for about half of the genres you listed (acoustic, solo vocalists, OSTs, classical, blues and jazz should be served well by the AKGs). The other half, probably less so but if you have other phones that do them well, then it may not be an issue.

I can't give good guidance about the freedom to recable the AKGs, except that the consensus here seems to be that the stock cable is of pretty high quality and doesn't scream for recabling the way Senns do, for example.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I have never actually heard any of the headphones you own, but you should be prepared for something that sounds very different from the 500, IE8 and 770, none of which have lean bass. I don't know how much exposure you have to brighter-sounding headphones, but you will likely hate the K701s at first - you'll have to give your ears time to adjust. Give them a little bit of time to allow yourself to get acquainted with their sound and then decide whether or not you enjoy the leaner bass.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 24
I do own the K-702's and have been very pleased with them. I don't know if the K-701's are different in this regard, but my pair comes equipped with a mini-plug. However there is included a screw-on 1/4 adapter if you need it.

My limited experience is that the amp is quite important. While I don't understand the parameters, the amp needs enough ooomph to give the right weight to the bass. I think it's fair to say that with appropriate amp power the bass is well balanced with the rest of the frequency range. However, the bass effect is a bit more distant (more intellectual in delivery? less visceral?) compared to other choices. However the bass can sound quite good with the right amplifier.

What have I tried it with? Well like I said, my experience is limited. I thought the headroom micro amp with desktop circuit was very satisfying and that would be a fair choice. I use it often with my Cary SLP-88. But while the sound quality is good with this tube preamp, and pleasing in many ways, it is too laid back in the bass frequencies. And I have a hard time getting it loud enough. I think the circuit just runs out of gas -- and the effect is clear with great soundstage. It gives a purity of sound but is disappointingly anemic.

Most of time I use the K-702s with the headphone output of my vintage (restored) Fisher 800C. I really like this combo. The amp just never falls short and the whole frequency range is supported. It is a truly honest-to-boogie match up with these. Lot's of power between 9 o'clock and noon on the volume control. Feels like inexhaustible power reserves are on hand. Something like the Krell power reactors in Forbidden Planet.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the RSA so I can't provide any comparison there.

Good luck!

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 24
Listen to them, if you like them, buy them, if you don't, don't. They are not going to make a 180 on you with better equipment, the will just maybe change 10% at most. When you buy a headphone atleast like the basic sound signature of that headphone.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 24
For that wide of musical tastes, you might be better off with the Sennheiser HD-600. It's the only reasonably priced headphone that covers all the genres well. It also has detachable cables, should you want to change them.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned K701s, and greatly prefer my DT770s (80 Ohm pro version.)

The DT770s are a brighter phone though . . . if he's spanning across multiple music genres that's not going to be a good thing IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unk Erik
For that wide of musical tastes, you might be better off with the Sennheiser HD-600. It's the only reasonably priced headphone that covers all the genres well. It also has detachable cables, should you want to change them.

I'd pit the K601 against the HD600
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770s are a brighter phone though . . . if he's spanning across multiple music genres that's not going to be a good thing IMO.

The consumer version may be bright, but the Pro/80s are not. The only time that highs are ever an problem is when listening to "loudness wars" recordings, and that is an issue with the recordings, not the phones.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 24
the dt770/80s are perfect, right intoart?

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt770/80s are perfect, right intoart?

Very close. DT150s are slightly better except for comfort, and SQ-wise those are perfect.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 24
The K701s are good headphones. When someone says a certain headphone "lacks bass," you should question their point of reference – lacks bass compared to what? If you are seeking neutral reproduction, the K701 is excellent. If you are seeking bass enhanced from the recording, another headphone will work better.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 24
I found the 702's a bit bright but they did not Lack bass as some believe. And I have compared them to Senns,Beyers,Ultrasones, and even Denon and although they don't have the bass that the others do, thier bass is quite respectable. My Can of choice is Denon at the moment because I fell that they generaly have everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back