Help on a new amplifier purchase.
Jul 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

whubbard

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new portable headphone amp and the P-51 seems perfect. I don't really wan't to spend anymore than $400 and RSA's new SR-71B seems like overkill based on what I'm looking for. For $400 are there any other recommendations. If I'm willing to DIY does the Mini^3 come close to the P-51?

Thanks,
West

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 11
P-51 probably better.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
We'll after I realized how cheap the Mini^3 could be had for, I jumped. I still might want to get the P-51 if it's better though.

The Mini^3 is good, but it won't be as good as the P-51 Mustang. If you don't care about size, get the iBasso D4. It can sound almost exactly like the P-51 Mustang (after rolling Op-Amps). It also has an excellent built in DAC.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Mini^3 and Mustang sound very different. Also priced very different, haha! Mini^3 is like 1/10th the price of the Mustang. Personally I find the Mustang is too expensive and not that good really.  It has a sublime level of clarity and detail -- the separation of sounds is incredible as is how clear it is especially in the mids. I don't find it worth the asking price but different people will spend whatever on whatever, so see if you find it's worth it to you.

The Mini^3 is very different, unlike the Mustang which is more relaxed and effortless the Mini^3 is like a marathon runner trying to do a 100m dash. It is very excited, aggravated and aggressive, giving a lot of energy to the mids and placing things right in your face. It doesn't have anywhere near the finesse and refinement of the Mustang but has its own aggressive charm.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. The way you described the Mustang has me definitely wanting to purchase it, but Mochan you seem to think there is something better for the price. Do you have anything in mind?

Also I will have the Mini^3 completed for $124.61 including shipping & taxes, ($96.11 in parts) which isn't bad. I will build the "High Performance" version and worse case scenario I use it as a backup to another portable amp.

Thanks Again,
West

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Better for the price? Well, can't really say. There are desktop amps which I think are better for the price, but then it wouldn't be a portable. Portability has its own premium.  I haven't heard anything to best the Mustang when it comes to detail, clarity and effortless presentation in a portable, anywhere at $400 or below. Probably another RSA would. 

If these things are important to you, the $400 shouldn't be a put off and this may be the portable amp for you.

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Internal battery, long lived, only chargeable with a wall wart charger. No USB unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back