help needed with new iem's
Sep 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fmonk

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am new here but been following head fi for quite a while. I am no audiophile but since I started reading the posts here, I ve gotten much more familiar with all the tech stuff and terminology, so thanks guys. 

I am deciding to buy  some new iem's, and I read so many threads to help me decide
but to tell the truth I am even more confused then ever. My current iem's are Shure se310,
which I am fairly happy with but definitely need something more. I like the shure sound but the biggest problem for me is that I haven't tried any other headphones besides Grado sr80 to actually be able to make some comparisons. I mostly listen to rock, indie, some jazz...
So currently I am deciding between Shure se535 and Westone 3 and UM3X I know they're diffrent in sound signature from what I've read so I'll try to narrow it down a little, I am looking for a balanced iem, with a clear separation of instruments staying true to the source. With se310 the vocals and guitars are exeptional but I am slightly missing the lows and treble. I would like to have some more bass in terms of precision but not overpowering. I don't know if this makes any sense but I would really appreciate if you guys helped me to decide which way to go.

Thanks  

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm pleased with my UM3X. They're intended as a musicians/stage monitor, and so are designed to have a level frequency response (i.e. a more neutral/faithful reproduction), where as the 3 is designed for consumer listening, and as such has a 'tweaked' frequency response, to make them sound more exciting (at least this is what I understand from comments I've read. I've never tried the 3 personally).

I find the UM3X to have excellent bass (not overwhelming, but certainly not lacking either), they render instruments very well with good separation, detail and decay. Although designed to be neutral, I do find them warm when compared to my HD 25-1 and UM1, but it's a non-fatiguing sound signature that works well for acoustic music and jazz, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back