Help needed: What's Cool in Japan we can't get here?
Nov 11, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 40
kitty-chan. KITTY! KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway..
XM-PX501 MD player :devil:

Just look around in akihabara or sunshine city (if in tokyo and can get there..) Theres a robot shop, It's cool
biggrin.gif
Theres probably places like that, too.. Pity about the under $200, otherwise AIBO.

But definately Hello kitty. KITTY!!!!

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #17 of 40
hey chadbang

for MDs, id check the minidisc forum ... www.minidisco.com or ign's gear/audio section... i love my sony MZ-R91 (or is it 90...) that i bought when i lived there a few years ago...so small!

the new sony PCDPs look nice, the EJ2000...there's a thread in Portable Audio on them HERE that i started a while back. i really cant vouche for quality or features tho.

and yeah, if your cousin could bring me back a Nissan Skyline GT-R R33/R34 i'd be your slave for life ... well, maybe not.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I'll second this one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thirded!

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 40
How about Digi-Q cars!

I guess these are kinda readily available from import shops and such in the states... but maybe they're cheaper in Japan? On second thought... maybe not...

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #22 of 40
Thanks for all the replies: Yes, by all means, if my cousin can find me a Honda for under $200 I will have her jump on it and pack it in her overhead bag. Mushrooms and JSG P@RN, hmmm, sounds very inviting, but I don't think I can ask for it without losing serious face. Believe me, I love robots but for $200 I'll have to settle for a crippled AIBO with one eye from the cyber pound. Still no ideas....
frown.gif

I would like a portable CD/MP3 player, but when are they replacing the CJ01!!!!!!!!!

Any other brand brand in Japan make a good one? I guess the predictions of MD going under there (which I read in some audio magazine) were wrong and it's still going strong.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

joe dick said...

japanese school girl

Fixed it for you.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
still, its a mini skyline. Why, oh why do we get nothing fun? I WANT A SILVIA!
frown.gif

Silvia chassis(es) are holy crappily tuned! **** I'm frustrated. Doesn't anyone here get high on coupled link axles? double joint lower arms? inertia charging? pendulum engine mounts? direct torque pass? powder slush molding? truncated balancer shafts?

I could go on forever about why it sucks more than we'd like to think, but I'll just sob and sob and sob like Japanese ____ school girls.
frown.gif

chadbang,
the CJ01 came out this february, and the product life cycle's usually 1-year, unless it's a serious flop. I'm sorry
tongue.gif

There's been a horrible death of the hi-end audio products in Japan since '98-99... having said that, the number of MD portables shipped have stalled at the same level from back then, too. The big companies got bigger, the smaller players are marginalized...

I'd like to buy you Asimo, but I'll have to vote for hello kitty.

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 40
Leon, I'd even settle for one of those little Sony guys due out (with the unmemorable name GIO3284-4RD1, or whatever). Of course they are only going to cost the price of a "luxury sedan" according to Sony.

But I've got an eight year old daughter - NO MORE HELLO KITTIES IN MY HOUSE!!!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
kitty-chan. KITTY! KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway..
XM-PX501 MD player :devil:

Just look around in akihabara or sunshine city (if in tokyo and can get there..) Theres a robot shop, It's cool
biggrin.gif
Theres probably places like that, too.. Pity about the under $200, otherwise AIBO.

But definately Hello kitty. KITTY!!!!

We can get AIBO in US, can't we? With the help of Internet, we can get almost anything that's available in Japan without having to go there. Especially popular items like AV electronics and toy (like the once soldout Gundam micro bots earlier this year). So I think it's not so much that that you're getting something that nobody else has, but you are getting it earlier and potentially cheaper than the rest of us.

When I was in Japan earlier this year, I bought this mpeg4 player the first day it's for sale. Once in a while, I get curious people asking me what it is, which is kind of cool. But of course now you can order it on the internet and ship to your home.

There are so many new and cool product in Japan, so without knowing your interest, it's hard to recommend anything. I'd suggest you go buy a japanese magazine which reports on Japan new product and find out for yourself. Goods press and pop-eye are good ones to read.

Not all cool japanese toys are expensive. For example, I found a electronic gold fish which'd respond to your voice and it's very cheap (I don't remember exactly, I think it's like around $20?, I didn't buy it).

Btw, hello kitty is HOT in japan, there are magazines dedicated just for hello kitty. I'm not really a hello kitty fan, but I'm a peanuts fan. Believe it or not, you can find a lot more cool peanuts product in japan than in US. In snoopy store alone, I could spend well over $200.
tongue.gif

Good luck and have fun!

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #27 of 40
Excellent ideas, Gregor. That Sharp MT-AV1 is a very cool unit. I've been wondering when someone would make a portable unit that played mpegs. I'm going to look for some Japanese magazines today!

and if all else fails: SAKE!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back