Help needed - buying a cost-no-object portable amp
Sep 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

matanoosh

100+ Head-Fier
APOLOGIES - I opened the the thread in the wrong forum. Admins -  Kindly help me move the thread. Thank you! :)
=====================================================================================

Hello all,
Greetings from sunny Israel.

I own a pair of AT's W5000 and a portable ES7 (wishing to upgarde them to a 9 or 10 as soon as I find the right sale :wink:).

Due to more frequent travels I'm taking lately, I want a high quality portable amp - hopefully not a toy but a serious device.
For convenience purposes (and I hope I'm not making a mistake here), the device should have:
1. An amp with switchable gain (for low / high impedance headphones as per the models I stated above)
2. Built-in DAC (hopefully capable of 24/192 via USB, hopefully Asynchronous)
3. Battery powered - If not a standard size, then at least replacable by the manufacturer.

Balanced would be an additional bonus even though my headphones are currently not balanced, but at the higher range of the market, it couldn't hurt to save this option for later.

Anyway, I did some research here on this huge forum, but found little references to Headroom's Portable Desktop Amp, for example, which seems to be the leading candidate at the moment, with a price range almost twice than its nearest competitors. (am I wrong?)

Since popularity and PR are a key factor in brands' exposure and specific model discussions, I would kindly ask for your advise on which other options are available on the market today. Also, a brief opinion sharing from a Headroom's owner would be mostly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, guys (and girls).
-Matan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back