HELP! My triple.fi 10 broke!
Mar 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought the tf10 vi's through amazon and I was really enjoying them. But then, the cable broke at the 3.5mm plug. No problem, I thought, I have an extra cable, just swap them round, after all, that's the point isn't it?

So i tried prying the cable off using my fingers. It didn't budge. So, I tried loosening it with a needle-nose. I started to see gold so, i tried using my hands again, but, nothing happened. UNTIL, the freaking connector port was ripped opened with the damn contacts still in them! The red and green wires that connect to the drivers have also been ripped.

I'm at a lost here. Any ideas guys? I can't afford a new one, and I live in Singapore so I can't really bang on the tables of logitech customer care.

angry_face.gif
ARgh!

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 29
I don't know how it works in Singapore but, I did almost the exact same thing. Instead of contacting logitech, I contacted amazon and they sent me a new pair before I even returned the broken pair. Then again I'm here in the states so I don't know if this work for you or not.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 29
^Alright, I guess I could send amazon an email. Thanks!

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 29
get an rma from amazon and than contact logitect, though amazon.com doesn't ship electronics internationally, could try saying that the tf10 is a gift from a friend?

not sure will it work but you could try

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 29
This same thing happened to my super fi 3. One of the several reasons I don't like UE earphones.

I agree to try to get your money back. There might be more damage to the drivers than you think.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 29
I had exactly the same thing happen trying to replace the cable on my Triple Fi10s! Logitech customer support (in the US) was great though - they immediately replaced them with a new set.

Seems like they know it's a common problem.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 29
I've finally gotten my hands on the replacement product. I had to jump through hoops and the odd ring of fire, but eventually, Logitech came through with the replacement and even expedited it to a 2-day shipping option because of my trouble.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys!

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 29
That's how a long past pair broke for me also. What's the point of a replaceable cable if the connector is more fragile or not well secured. That receptacle should never be close to being weaker than the plug connection. In my case, it just came out without trying to change anything and I carried them in the case. You'd hope the connection would detach before the connector under any and all circumstances.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 29
this is a serious design flaw... i've had this happen twice with my SF5Ps

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 29
I think it's more of a matter of being gentle with the connectors. They don't loosen easy upon first removal. That's for sure, new or old version. They work a little easier after, but they are never a piece of cake to take off or even put on fully. A person can very easily wreck a pair if they are not patient with it. When I first did it, I thought there was a high chance of breakage if I did anything wrong. The cable is very much designed as replaceable but not so much designed as removable on a casual level.

How did it break at the 3.5mm jack? I know the new design went to a straight jack, but has that part really become less durable? I know the old design was rather beefy at the jack. Typically it still takes some user manhandling or lack of care to actually break a part. They may not be as durable as you want, but they also don't simply break on their own.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 29
Yeah normally warranty would cover that, since you were just trying to swap the cables which is what it's designed to do.. But since you're out of the USA I'm not sure how hard it would be to get that done.

I'd send in your TF10 for a custom reshell. I got mine done and they're great. You're pretty close to UM, why not give them a try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back