Help me understand: Why Braveheart and Gladiator, but not The Last of the Mohicans?
Oct 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i.......lewis is kinda gay....

I'm not sure whether I shoud respond to this as a member or delete this portion of your post as a moderator.
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure whether I shoud respond to this as a member or delete this portion of your post as a moderator.
confused.gif

lol, i think its ok, its not meant to vindictively or with any vitriol, its said, i think in the way that his look and character in the film was a bit namby pamby

although one thing ppl cant accuse lewis of is being a bad actor, classically trained in acting, ie theatre background. and he is method. very eccentric character in real life, and IMHO, after seeing his timid, unsure, introverted real life persona think her delivers very well in his varied roles.

true acting.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #33 of 79
I think the love story in Braveheart is one of the things that sets that movie apart for me. The movie gave you time to get to know Wallace a bit. Don't get me wrong, I loved last of the Mohicans but Braveheart is just on another level IMO (regardless of the constant bashing it gets here).

I really liked BHD but I would not put it on the same level as Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers. Then again I'm not much of a movie critic, most of the time I just want to be entertained.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the love story in Braveheart is one of the things that sets that movie apart for me. The movie gave you time to get to know Wallace a bit. Don't get me wrong, I loved last of the Mohicans but Braveheart is just on another level IMO (regardless of the constant bashing it gets here).

i am a BIG fan of braveheart, i think that is something personal too, being english with scottish heritage and now living in the heart of wallace country, i even visited the giant wallace statue and did the whole tour thing in the borders, but also as you say the emotional pull and love interest adds a nice layer.

trivia: did you know wallace's wife in Braveheart, 'Murron' (Catherine McCormack) - who i fell in love with when i first saw it
redface.gif
- plays the wife of 'Don' (Robert Carlyle), in 28 weeks later.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i think its ok, its not meant to vindictively or with any vitriol, its said, i think in the way that his look and character in the film was a bit namby pamby

although one thing ppl cant accuse lewis of is being a bad actor, classically trained in acting, ie theatre background. and he is method. very eccentric character in real life, and IMHO, after seeing his timid, unsure, introverted real life persona think her delivers very well in his varied roles.

true acting.

Perhaps an over reaction. I didn't think it was meant literally and I think I understood what he was trying to convey. I was just surprised that an adult would make such a comment in a public forum.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and I think I understood what he was trying to convey.

I'm still confused.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could you please describe this a bit more, if possible? Is it his articulation and lines, that he's not bulkier, his hair, etc.? Since I've never heard this criticism before and it seems at least a few here have it, I'm really curious. Also any comparison to Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting in Gangs of New York would be a plus.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still confused.
blink.gif

Could you please describe this a bit more, if possible? Is it his articulation and lines, that he's not bulkier, his hair, etc.? Since I've never heard this criticism before and it seems at least a few here have it, I'm really curious. Also any comparison to Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting in Gangs of New York would be a plus.
biggrin.gif

nothing to describe really, i was just acting as mediator (never again)
biggrin.gif

trying to second guess the 'gay' comment, my own, and possibly incorrect take, by stating that the reference could have been meant, not as in homophobic, but that slangy loose term of thats looks gay, if its a bad film for example. or man that was gay, referring to the fact that he just dropped his pint!

ask the original poster?!

as far as i am concerned, his character isnt namby pamby in mohicans,...he is your average heroic long mained manly character no?

OH FORGET IT!! - LOL

what the hell....what have i got involved with here, hehe

bill the butcher is the man, "oopsie daisy!"

theres more important threads right now, like killer robotic cannon kills nine..

i am going crazy...

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 79
I too feel LOTM has been under appreciated and deserves better recognition, it was excellent in every way. The lack of visibility points to the whole Hollywood machine and related politics. Just note the stars and directors associated with the other two films you mentioned and note who had the publicity machine behind them, while DDL just does his thing then fades away.
blink.gif
In Hollywood, money and publicity talk, talent is often times a secondary consideration.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #39 of 79
Last of the Mohicans is one of my all time movie. In fact, my first DVD player was to get the movie in DVD.

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #41 of 79
Last of the Mohicans is indeed incredibly underrated, and it deserves more recognition.

I'm a Ben-Hur man myself, though.

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #42 of 79
Too dramatic although, it sounds nice through my Grado's and Pimeta with quad stacked buffers run full bandwidth.

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #43 of 79
haha, i have never seen the discussions on gladiator and braveheart either, but blessingsx is more of a movie buff than i and probably keeps up with those threads.

i think a huge deciding factor is that braveheart from 1995 is probably fresh in the consciousness of many of our younger population which this site is becoming. 1992 is before many people on this site were even awake.

that and there are no huge battle scenes where millions are slayed and it is not as fantastic. the other two are spectacle, this one is more 'realisitc'!?

it is the better movie, but that is the problem, generally good movies don't draw the crowds that bad ones do

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 79
ok..i agree tyrion...i will have to drop the term "gay" from my vocabulary but i grew up in eighties....it is not appropriate to use anymore these days..
yes, i did not mean that lewis was gay in terms of homosexual or even having effeminate traits that are stereotyped.
i meant in lotm lewis character was the silent type but i felt he didnt have the presense to pull off that role and wasnt entirely believable and his character was dragged into the annoying pyscho mind games of older brunette daughter(forget her name now)...(same pyscho mind game in braveheart but perhaps more tolerable because that actress was hotter???)

compared to the british officer lewis was lacking... i guess that was more like my style....
lewis in gangs of new york was just creepy...i give credit for his skills but i just dont totally believe him in a tough guy role...

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #45 of 79
this movie was a remake however. i cannot find the link for the original, but it was from 1960 or 1950 or about that time. the newer one was better in the newer hollywood style: big music score and tense drama, but of course, it was still great to keep the british as the evil weaklings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back