Help me understand: Why Braveheart and Gladiator, but not The Last of the Mohicans?
Dec 25, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost any film is better than Braveheart.

Feel free to say that when you are close to me and have a sword in your hand too!
wink.gif

JC

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #62 of 79
Seriously though Duggeh, (well, granted, I was at least half serious, but still) why would you want to take a shot at one of the most honored films in history? Did you perhaps think it was nominated for, and walked away with virtually every major Academy Award, including best director and best film, that year, by accident?

I enjoyed Gladiator, even if it lacked a fair bit of character development and depth, and count LOTM as amongst my favorite films of it's decade. But really, Braveheart is in a class beyond them, with the critical acclaim and honors to support it.

You certainly have the right to express your opinion and always will. But then again, this all might be pointless. You likely were joking. Or possibly drunk? Or both?
biggrin.gif

JC

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #63 of 79
I just saw Last of the Mohicans again a few days ago. One aspect of the movie that I really enjoy is the photography of North American "wilderness". The opposition between "civilization" and nature reminds me in some ways of "Aguirre the wrath of god".

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw Last of the Mohicans again a few days ago. One aspect of the movie that I really enjoy is the photography of North American "wilderness". The opposition between "civilization" and nature reminds me in some ways of "Aguirre the wrath of god".

LOTM did indeed include some wonderful images of the North American scenery, and was filmed near Ashville, North Carolina.

JC

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BlessingX and plainsong,,,,,,,,,,,,are we talking about history or MOVIES? Name 5 movies better than Ben Hur,,,,ya Know?,,,with Heston?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sheeeesh

We're talking history of film. Loving Ben Hur is like liking a much better version of '63s Cleopatra. That doesn't mean I dislike Ben Hur. Quite the opposite. To prove my point, running through my collection, here are five superior and I haven't even gotten to the letter 'B'.

After Life/Wandâfuru Raifu
Aguirre, the Wrath of God/der Zorn Gottes
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Apartment
Au Hasard Balthazar

And your big five?

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #66 of 79
Gladiator has a story, but come on, the script is thin on the ground and not much attention is paid to any kind of accuracy at all.

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius" ("I'm the first Roman in history that doesn't know how to say my name correctly.") The REAL order is this: Praenomen (first name), Nomen (family name), Cognomen (given or earned name). In other words, you're Decimus Meridius Maximus, you moron.

And Marcus Aurelius was the last guy who would restore the republic. He's the one that handed it to his son - I mean real biological son and not some guy adopted as his son in order to give the endorsement.

And apparently no one in Rome has a properly fitting toga - I mean the list just goes on.

Movie history?

Here is the list you requested. Although I cant say they are better than Ben Hur since I said Ben Hur was probably my favorite movie. Makes me wonder why you would ask me to make a list of movies better than Ben Hur after reading my previous comments about Ben Hur. RIF,,,,Reading Is Fundamental.

Planet Of The Apes
Beneath Planet Of The Apes
Omega Man
Soylent Green
Once upon A Time In the West
Hard Times
Emperor Of The North
Von Ryans Express

Eight movies, I was not able to narrow then down as easy as you did. Opinions are like A holes,,,,ya know? I would like to point out something that you simpletons failed to get your heads around more than once. It is impossible to list the five best movies for many reasons and next time you see a comment like mine maybe you should read between the lines and realize that this is a dramatic way of saying "I Like This Movie Very Much". Also, don't tell me about movie history when plainsong is complaining that a movie sucks because it does not perfectly match a history book. What did you do spend a week looking up movies that everyone else thinks are great?

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #67 of 79
I don't like any of the mentioned films to be honest o.O

Off the top of my head, films like Good Will Hunting, Collateral and the Bourne trilogy seems better by miles when it comes to story telling. Syriana had a ridiculously enjoyable plot once I got the hang of it, but it was so complex I had to watch it twice to get it so I wouldn't call it a storytelling champ. Cinematic effects would be the Matrix trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, 300, etc. Then there are others like The Lives of Others and Trainspotting which aren't really special in any technical way, but they leave that 'hey that was a good flick' sort of feeling. IMO Apocalypse now (both versions) was way too long and left me feeling like **** by the time the credits starting rolling. Most of the Vietnam war movies did actually. Full Metal Jacket, Platoon.. The Godfather series was far too draggy and I lost interest halfway into the second film..

Is there something wrong with me?
confused.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #69 of 79
I always seem to get stuck in the 60s and 70s for most of my favorite movies. Seems like Character development is a lost art anymore. Movies like the Pianist just dont seem to come along often enough.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

CapitalR,,,,,,,,,BEN HUR,,,,,now thats a movie. It has to be in the top five flicks of all time. Hell maybe the best ever.

Quote:

Here is the list you requested. Although I cant say they are better than Ben Hur since I said Ben Hur was probably my favorite movie. Makes me wonder why you would ask me to make a list of movies better than Ben Hur after reading my previous comments about Ben Hur. RIF,,,,Reading Is Fundamental.

Planet Of The Apes
Beneath Planet Of The Apes
Omega Man
Soylent Green
Once upon A Time In the West
Hard Times
Emperor Of The North
Von Ryans Express

Eight movies, I was not able to narrow then down as easy as you did. Opinions are like A holes,,,,ya know? I would like to point out something that you simpletons failed to get your heads around more than once. It is impossible to list the five best movies for many reasons and next time you see a comment like mine maybe you should read between the lines and realize that this is a dramatic way of saying "I Like This Movie Very Much". Also, don't tell me about movie history when plainsong is complaining that a movie sucks because it does not perfectly match a history book. What did you do spend a week looking up movies that everyone else thinks are great?

Reading is fundamental, so I'll quote you again. As for articulation, I'd start assuming 'best' and 'I like' are not the same when talking with strangers. Or anyone, since they aren't. If you think they are this conversation gets boring very quickly. Dude, Howard the Duck is the best film evar and I don't care what you say!!!! I'll let Plainsong speak for herself 'cause I don't know why I have to answer for her, or that you can't be wrong from two different perspectives. Though I'm not surprised you are confused. As for spending "a week looking up movies that everyone else thinks are great," again it may be beneficial to actually read the posts you're responding to. Those titles are from my DVD collection. That's not a brag, it's just why the list was a short one.

As for your list, there's not much to say here. Omega Man? Soylent Green? Oh course you're going to defend Gladiator so strongly. It is great in comparison. And you call us simpletons. You're funny, I'll grant you that.
cool.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #71 of 79
Spelling is fundamental as well. I know what you said about the A's in your collection because I can read, unlike yourself.

evar,,,,What

Like liking,,,,What

Also that makes 3 times you and only you failed to read between the lines.

Oh,,,one more thing. When you asked for my 5 did you mean leading upto Ben Hur or better than Ben Hur?

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #72 of 79
Okay, I assume you're trolling (or very bad at humor), so I'm done. Thanks for the stimulating contribution. Good luck with your Chuck Heston flicks.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

Seems like Character development is a lost art anymore.

I've been following your little troll's tirade for a while now. Just thought I'd pop in since you finally made a comment worth discussing. A poorly constructed and grammatically incorrect comment, but an interesting one nonetheless.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #74 of 79
Movies and Music are both way too commercialized anymore. When was the last time you saw an action hero as ugly and effective as Charlie Bronson? Everyone in Hollywood is so busy being Ken and Barbie, and for what? So they can blend in with all the other non descript actors that plague Hollywood anymore. There is a difference between reading lines and acting and acting requires character. Thats why when you look at my list you will see people like Bronson, Lee Marvin, Heston, James Coburn, Claudia Cardinale etc...witch brings me to the point of this thread. When Last Of The Mohican's came out, Daniel was known for My Left Foot (a great movie) however, for most people seeing him in a heroic role was a stretch as big as the Grand Canyon. Long hair a hero does not make. Madeline Stowe suffered from the same problem, she is white as a ghost and looks like she should have a tight skirt and be walking a poodle in Manhattan. Daniel's performance in Gangs of New York was fantastic and I think he is a great actor, but I think better casting for Mohican's would have brought it up to par with the other two movies. As far as the tirade, I made some valid points that were never addressed by other people here and I also think it is a waste of time. Sorry about the grammar, I thought this was a forum. What the hell do I care about my grammar for people I don't even know.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Sorry about the grammar, I thought this was a forum. What the hell do I care about my grammar for people I don't even know.

You're expressing your opinion with said grammar, and with just a little effort you can help other people understand your point of view. I think an opinion expressed poorly won't be given the same weight as one expressed correctly. But hey, that might just be me!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back