Help me to choose a used DAP.
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

Kejusan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi..these are the few shortlisted used DAPs under my consideration. All of these is priced around the same as a new mid range DAP (ie : DX160, M11) which is under my consideration as well. Since it's quite impossible to find a comparison review of all these DAPs I hope this forum could assist my selection :

AK120ii
1. Streaming available but for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
3. Battery replaceable with Youtube video replacement guide and battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-bright but soundstage less than AK240
5. USB DAC function available
6. Pocketable size

AK240
1. Streaming for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
3. Battery replaceable with Youtube video replacement guide and battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-bright with better soundstage compared to AK120ii
6. Pocketable but slightly larger than AK120ii

Questyle QP1R
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. No video guide for battery replacement in Youtube and no battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-transparent and some say it's quite dry.
5. Is USB DAC function available?
6. Mostly raised issues are on the scroll wheel, battery drain and UI.

Opus#1
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. Battery replaceable with battery replacement available at Aliexpress.
4. Some reviews said that it's neutral-transparent while some said that it's neutral-warm.
6. With the price offered and good reviews it gets, it seems like a good choice but with the plastic body, I'm worried if it couldn't last as long as I wanted it to be.

Sony NW-ZX1
Mixed reviews. Not sure if it should be made part of the list.

Sony NW-Zx300

Or should I just go for the new DX160? Any feedback is appreciated!

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 81
Need more information as to what you want from a dap.

Must have :
1. Good sound quality with neutral signature by not being dry. Maybe a hint of warmth.
2. Good UI & music library
3. Will keep for long term thus battery shall be replaceable and easy to find replacement.
4. Portable

Good to have :
1. Wifi with streaming app
2. USB DAC

My current headphone/IEM :
1. AKG Y50
2. Soundmagic E10
3. TIN T4

My music ranges from metal to electronics (not EDM) and indie to pop. No jazz or classical though although some instrumental music is in my collection.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 81
Hi..these are the few shortlisted used DAPs under my consideration. All of these is priced around the same as a new mid range DAP (ie : DX160, M11) which is under my consideration as well. Since it's quite impossible to find a comparison review of all these DAPs I hope this forum could assist my selection :

AK120ii
1. Streaming available but for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
4. Sound quality neutral-bright but soundstage less than AK240
6. Pocketable size

AK240
1. Streaming for limited app
2. Wifi & BT available
4. Sound quality neutral-bright with better soundstage compared to AK120ii
6. Pocketable but slightly larger than AK120ii

Questyle QP1R
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. No video guide for battery replacement in Youtube and no battery replacement available at Aliexpress
4. Sound quality neutral-transparent and some say it's quite dry.
6. Mostly raised issues are on the scroll wheel, battery drain and UI.

Opus#1
1. No streaming
2. No wifi & BT
3. Battery replaceable with battery replacement available at Aliexpress.
4. Some reviews said that it's neutral-transparent while some said that it's neutral-warm.
6. With the price offered and good reviews it gets, it seems like a good choice but with the plastic body, I'm worried if it couldn't last as long as I wanted it to be.

Sony NW-ZX1

Sony NW-Zx300

Or should I just go for the new DX160? Any feedback is appreciated!

I auditioned the 2 sonys, & ofc u know i own a 240. But still, i rec u to go w/ the 160 2020 version
Can i ask, what is holding u back? to go for the Ibasso?
Is the brand name new to you?

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 81
I'd recommend looking into Cowon if you want something only to listen to local files with. Otherwise, the DX160 and Hiby R5 are good choices. I previously owned the Opus#1s, which was plagued with battery issues. I prefer the sound of my Hiby R5, even though they both use Cirrus Logic dac chips. As for easy battery replacement, you would need to do your research on the individual daps.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 81
I auditioned the 2 sonys, & ofc u know i own a 240. But still, i rec u to go w/ the 160 2020 version
Can i ask, what is holding u back? to go for the Ibasso?
Is the brand name new to you?

Well, there's no holding back, really. This is just a part of my research before buying something that I plan to commit for a long time. And from my experience, it's fairly easy to find parts for iriver, or at least the H120 model I've owned before. And I believe that the built quality for Astell&Kern product is superb and good to last me for a long time. Not sure about DX160 but from my research there are still battery replacement for older Ibasso DAP but I'm not sure about the built quality, so that might be the only reason that's 'holding me back' if you want to put it that way.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 81
Well, there's no holding back, really. This is just a part of my research before buying something that I plan to commit for a long time. And from my experience, it's fairly easy to find parts for iriver, or at least the H120 model I've owned before. And I believe that the built quality for Astell&Kern product is superb and good to last me for a long time. Not sure about DX160 but from my research there are still battery replacement for older Ibasso DAP but I'm not sure about the built quality, so that might be the only reason that's 'holding me back' if you want to put it that way.
Nowadays, battery replacement is the new normal.
Those amounts of signal processing are tasking on the dap's battery.
Whilst a famous brand is renowned for battery longevity, im not convinced about the SQ of their lower tier models even up to the top mid range model.
Build wise, i concur they are built to last, fellow headfiers around here still enjoying their 5 yo daps...

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 81
Agreed..but is it still if the price is around USD380 for a used one?

i replaced my 240 battery as well. from +3 hours to 5-6 hours now. They were excellent sounding players, emphasis on past tense.
Hence i cannot rec you.
just add 19 bucks, u can get a new better sounding dap w/ better back up time...

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 81
IDK if I would recommend the Opus on points 2 or 3 - It's one of my favorite DAPs but UI is pretty basic and still has a few non-critical bugs. In terms of battery replacement, it's a glued device from what I can tell. I've never been able to get USB DAC to work properly. Wouldn't worry about the plastic though, had mine for 3 or 4 years a few dings, no fractures.

Have you considered iBasso DX200 or 150? Never used myself, but you can find those for decent prices, and I believe the battery is accessible without a heat gun? (see twister's teardown https://twister6.com/2017/07/05/inside-the-dx200-literally/ )

IMO based on what you describe it seems like a full Android DAP would be the way to go if Android UI doesn't bother you - choice of playback apps and best streaming support. Main concern would be outdated Android builds they tend to have, for instance Sony ZX2 users recently reported losing Tidal support. Though if you carry a phone, a non-Android DAP with bluetooth receiver function (for instance zx300) can be a useful combo.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 81
Text by Twister
" I put this guide together for entertainment/educational purpose, to show how easy it is to remove and to replace the battery if you need to, and to show the inner guts of DX200 for those who are curious about it. "

Same applies to dx80 & most probably the rest.
A friend / fellow headfier, got in touch w/ ibasso re: his battery replacement for the dx80.
They offered to replace also.
However, my friend decided to replace it himself, he's a technician.
The ease of replacing the battery is a fact...

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 81
The QP1R has two models. One had battery issues and later models had battery fixes. Unless you know which version you are getting, I would avoid the QP1R. The QP2R would be the better choice if going with Questyle. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want a touch screen or a non touch screen. The QP1R/QP2R do not have touch screens, but they sound really good. Questyles are harder to get the battery replaced as it is hard to get service. It has to be sent to China for service.

What is your budget?

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 81
IDK if I would recommend the Opus on points 2 or 3 - It's one of my favorite DAPs but UI is pretty basic and still has a few non-critical bugs. In terms of battery replacement, it's a glued device from what I can tell. I've never been able to get USB DAC to work properly. Wouldn't worry about the plastic though, had mine for 3 or 4 years a few dings, no fractures.

Have you considered iBasso DX200 or 150? Never used myself, but you can find those for decent prices, and I believe the battery is accessible without a heat gun? (see twister's teardown https://twister6.com/2017/07/05/inside-the-dx200-literally/ )

IMO based on what you describe it seems like a full Android DAP would be the way to go if Android UI doesn't bother you - choice of playback apps and best streaming support. Main concern would be outdated Android builds they tend to have, for instance Sony ZX2 users recently reported losing Tidal support. Though if you carry a phone, a non-Android DAP with bluetooth receiver function (for instance zx300) can be a useful combo.

I've auctioned for a DX120 and thought I've won it until I realized that my page does not refresh properly and someone bid higher than me! I could live without streaming on the DAP as I have my phone for that but USB/BT DAC seems like a better function to have rather than streaming.

Text by Twister
" I put this guide together for entertainment/educational purpose, to show how easy it is to remove and to replace the battery if you need to, and to show the inner guts of DX200 for those who are curious about it. "

Same applies to dx80 & most probably the rest.
A friend / fellow headfier, got in touch w/ ibasso re: his battery replacement for the dx80.
They offered to replace also.
However, my friend decided to replace it himself, he's a technician.
The ease of replacing the battery is a fact...

Yes, or so it seems. I've damaged my last DAP during battery replacement, and I've done it few times previously. Anyway, I couldn't see any visible screw on DX160. Does it means that I need to pry open the back panel to replace the battery?

The QP1R has two models. One had battery issues and later models had battery fixes. Unless you know which version you are getting, I would avoid the QP1R. The QP2R would be the better choice if going with Questyle. The question you need to ask yourself is do you want a touch screen or a non touch screen. The QP1R/QP2R do not have touch screens, but they sound really good. Questyles are harder to get the battery replaced as it is hard to get service. It has to be sent to China for service.

What is your budget?

Yes, I realized that the battery replacement for qp1r is not available on the web. Non touch screen should be ok as long as the UI is good. How would you rate the UI and the sound? Some describe it as being too dry.

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #15 of 81
I've auctioned for a DX120 and thought I've won it until I realized that my page does not refresh properly and someone bid higher than me! I could live without streaming on the DAP as I have my phone for that but USB/BT DAC seems like a better function to have rather than streaming.

Yes, or so it seems. I've damaged my last DAP during battery replacement, and I've done it few times previously. Anyway, I couldn't see any visible screw on DX160. Does it means that I need to pry open the back panel to replace the battery?
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back